Duck Dynasty | GLAAD | News | Phil Robertson

GLAAD: A&E Choosing Profits Over African American And Gay People

6a00d8341c730253ef01a3faf8fa53970b-800wiFollowing the news that A&E has lifted Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson's suspension, initially instated over homophobic and racist comments he made in an interview with GQ, GLAAD released a statement condemning the network's move.

Phil Robertson should look African American and gay people in the eyes and hear about the hurtful impact of praising Jim Crow laws and comparing gay people to terrorists. If dialogue with Phil is not part of next steps then A+E has chosen profits over African American and gay people – especially its employees and viewers.

In addition to announcing filming would resume on Duck Dynasty, A&E has promised it would film PSAs "promoting unity, tolerance and acceptance among all people." A&E has not said whether Robertson or any of the Duck Dynasty clan will be incorporated in these messages.

Recently, GLAAD Vice President of Communications Rich Ferraro said the organization has experienced significant backlash in response to their criticism of Robertson and their support of his suspension. However, the group has vowed not to back down.

Comments

1. In unrelated news, A&E announced that the channel would be re-branded as The Bigotry Channel.

Posted by: Duck Die Nasty | Dec 28, 2013 1:27:37 PM

2. The good news is that when mindful, thinking and informed citizens/pundits/news anchors call these crackers out as racists, misogynists, and or homophobic haters, we can point to A&E as reason why this is not only OK, but an acceptable and First Amendment affirming practice based upon informed personal beliefs.

Posted by: StevyD | Dec 28, 2013 1:39:46 PM

3. PSAs "promoting unity, tolerance and acceptance among all people."???

do as we say, not as we do.

Posted by: northalabama | Dec 28, 2013 1:40:25 PM

4. Face it, you're not going to stop this idiot redneck from voicing his religious beliefs. All you're going to do it get his viewers, which are all like him, to get up in arms against gays for stopping him from voicing his beliefs. They are all "Palin Mentality" and you're not going to change them. Just don't watch A&E. It was all about increasing sales over the holidays-mission accomplished.

Posted by: Macmantoo | Dec 28, 2013 1:47:30 PM

5. you know, most gays don't give a rat's ass what GLAAD has to say about anything. Why do straights give them so much weight?

Posted by: Homo Genius | Dec 28, 2013 1:51:45 PM

6. Good grief this is getting annoying. Network's will always chose profit motive, and this family and as well as the show's audience of biblical mistranslators and hypocrites aren't changing either.

We're owning their theocratic fantasies in the court systems, which is where it counts. You don't waste energy changing the minds of stubborn bigots. MOVE. ON.

Posted by: Leo | Dec 28, 2013 1:54:52 PM

7. Did anyone HONESTLY think this guy or this show was going anywhere? Come on. Most profitable show on Cable. The leverage those Duck people had with the fortune they've amassed? They held the upper hand. And the Network knows they will see THE BIGGEST premiere yet in a couple of weeks. This guy has opened up a dialogue. Look at it that way.

Posted by: Larry | Dec 28, 2013 2:04:20 PM

8. funny how glaad now puts the racial comments first when they weren't even mentioned by glaad at the beginning of this circus.

Posted by: Jaker | Dec 28, 2013 2:08:49 PM

9. @Jaker well, the upside is they actually used the word GAY instead of LGBTQINGXYZEIEIO.

Posted by: Homo Genius | Dec 28, 2013 2:20:13 PM

10. 'murica!

Posted by: greg | Dec 28, 2013 2:36:00 PM

11. There are a couple of others ways to interpret this story.

Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) cannot exist if there isn't Defamation of Gays and Lesbians. As GLAAD hasn't been able to find any real defamation they created some. That GLAAD doesn't have any real defamation it can find should be good news for the homosexual community even though tolerance and understanding are bad for GLAAD.

The other way to look at it is not such good news for homosexuals. GLAAD, unable to find any real defamation pursued this story hoping it would create a backlash against the homosexual community through an uptick in verbal and physical assaults on gays thus justifying its, GLAADS, existence.

Posted by: Tim Unes | Dec 28, 2013 2:38:38 PM

12. Camo gear? Huntin'& Finshin'? I don't see what the appeal of this show is. It's like they're from a different world or something.

Posted by: J | Dec 28, 2013 2:47:08 PM

13. Just so you all know, both the Chairman of A&E and the President of A&E are WOMEN....precisely the kind of "empowered", self-involved, career-oriented feminists that effeminate gay men love to worship....matter of fact, they could be called the "divas" of the media world....

......and they are the ones that just took a big stinking dump right in the middle of your gay male plate.....

Women are not our friends.....and maybe some day you will wake up and realize that, but I will not hold my breath.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 28, 2013 3:37:08 PM

14. lmao I'm cracking up at Rick somehow finding a way to blame women for this

Posted by: JMC | Dec 28, 2013 3:40:26 PM

15. "lmao I'm cracking up at Rick somehow finding a way to blame women for this"

Who, praytell, would you blame if not the two ultimate decision-makers at the network in question?

Posted by: RIck | Dec 28, 2013 3:49:14 PM

16. I hate women because my cow mother was selfish and didn't let me perform analingus on my grandfather. As you can see, it's messed me up completely.

Don't you selfish people have any idea how hard my life is? I'm past middle-age and I'm still closeted and no matter how much I hate effeminate gay men, I still can't find a guy who will love me.

My name is Rick, and when I die nobody, anywhere, will shed a tear.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 28, 2013 3:59:28 PM

17. To whomever is commenting under my name, try to show some respect. I am a deeply disturbed individual with no friends and no family who loves me.

Posted by: Rick | Dec 28, 2013 4:05:04 PM

18. people who troll post are cowards

Posted by: Jaker | Dec 28, 2013 4:09:34 PM

19. When I said "women" I didn't only mean the women calling the shots at A&E, just as you didn't.

Posted by: JMC | Dec 28, 2013 4:16:54 PM

20. "When I said "women" I didn't only mean the women calling the shots at A&E, just as you didn't"

Um, yeah, that is exactly who I meant....them and other women who are exactly like them, who, when push comes to shove, and their own interests are threatened in any way, demonstrate that they have no empathy, much less any sense of identification with gay men, contrary to the mythology that some of you have tried to construct.

Why don't you answer my question?

Posted by: Rick | Dec 28, 2013 4:25:24 PM

21. Why don't I post a URL and finally show everyone who I am? Oh, Right. Because I'm a miserable closet-case with no balls and no spine. Crap!

Posted by: Rick | Dec 28, 2013 4:40:58 PM

22. The log cabin republican gays are working overtime to defend this duck dynasty bigot. They are evil. NEVER trust a religious conservative gay.

Posted by: Jordan | Dec 28, 2013 6:10:30 PM

23. LOL at the republican gay trolls posting on here and justifying homophobia. You'll never be accepted in our community conservative gays. Or your conservative community. Hence why y'all an angry bunch of fools.

Posted by: T.J | Dec 28, 2013 6:11:17 PM

24. I sent A&E a strongly worded letter as did hundreds of my friends. THAT'S what we need to do as a community. Not be afraid to voice our opinions. Christians DON'T own freedom of speech.

Posted by: Klien | Dec 28, 2013 6:14:47 PM

25. "As GLAAD hasn't been able to find any real defamation they created some."

Yes, because comparing gays to terrorists isn't defamatory.

Posted by: Paulie | Dec 28, 2013 10:09:03 PM