GLAAD: A&E Choosing Profits Over African American And Gay People

6a00d8341c730253ef01a3faf8fa53970b-800wiFollowing the news that A&E has lifted Duck Dynasty star Phil Robertson's suspension, initially instated over homophobic and racist comments he made in an interview with GQ, GLAAD released a statement condemning the network's move.

Phil Robertson should look African American and gay people in the eyes and hear about the hurtful impact of praising Jim Crow laws and comparing gay people to terrorists. If dialogue with Phil is not part of next steps then A+E has chosen profits over African American and gay people – especially its employees and viewers.

In addition to announcing filming would resume on Duck Dynasty, A&E has promised it would film PSAs "promoting unity, tolerance and acceptance among all people." A&E has not said whether Robertson or any of the Duck Dynasty clan will be incorporated in these messages.

Recently, GLAAD Vice President of Communications Rich Ferraro said the organization has experienced significant backlash in response to their criticism of Robertson and their support of his suspension. However, the group has vowed not to back down.

Comments

1. StevyD says

The good news is that when mindful, thinking and informed citizens/pundits/news anchors call these crackers out as racists, misogynists, and or homophobic haters, we can point to A&E as reason why this is not only OK, but an acceptable and First Amendment affirming practice based upon informed personal beliefs.

2. Macmantoo says

Face it, you’re not going to stop this idiot redneck from voicing his religious beliefs. All you’re going to do it get his viewers, which are all like him, to get up in arms against gays for stopping him from voicing his beliefs. They are all “Palin Mentality” and you’re not going to change them. Just don’t watch A&E. It was all about increasing sales over the holidays-mission accomplished.

3. Leo says

Good grief this is getting annoying. Network’s will always chose profit motive, and this family and as well as the show’s audience of biblical mistranslators and hypocrites aren’t changing either.

We’re owning their theocratic fantasies in the court systems, which is where it counts. You don’t waste energy changing the minds of stubborn bigots. MOVE. ON.

4. Larry says

Did anyone HONESTLY think this guy or this show was going anywhere? Come on. Most profitable show on Cable. The leverage those Duck people had with the fortune they’ve amassed? They held the upper hand. And the Network knows they will see THE BIGGEST premiere yet in a couple of weeks. This guy has opened up a dialogue. Look at it that way.

5. Tim Unes says

There are a couple of others ways to interpret this story.

Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) cannot exist if there isn’t Defamation of Gays and Lesbians. As GLAAD hasn’t been able to find any real defamation they created some. That GLAAD doesn’t have any real defamation it can find should be good news for the homosexual community even though tolerance and understanding are bad for GLAAD.

The other way to look at it is not such good news for homosexuals. GLAAD, unable to find any real defamation pursued this story hoping it would create a backlash against the homosexual community through an uptick in verbal and physical assaults on gays thus justifying its, GLAADS, existence.

6. Rick says

Just so you all know, both the Chairman of A&E and the President of A&E are WOMEN….precisely the kind of “empowered”, self-involved, career-oriented feminists that effeminate gay men love to worship….matter of fact, they could be called the “divas” of the media world….

……and they are the ones that just took a big stinking dump right in the middle of your gay male plate…..

Women are not our friends…..and maybe some day you will wake up and realize that, but I will not hold my breath.

7. RIck says

“lmao I’m cracking up at Rick somehow finding a way to blame women for this”

Who, praytell, would you blame if not the two ultimate decision-makers at the network in question?

8. Rick says

I hate women because my cow mother was selfish and didn’t let me perform analingus on my grandfather. As you can see, it’s messed me up completely.

Don’t you selfish people have any idea how hard my life is? I’m past middle-age and I’m still closeted and no matter how much I hate effeminate gay men, I still can’t find a guy who will love me.

My name is Rick, and when I die nobody, anywhere, will shed a tear.

9. Rick says

“When I said “women” I didn’t only mean the women calling the shots at A&E, just as you didn’t”

Um, yeah, that is exactly who I meant….them and other women who are exactly like them, who, when push comes to shove, and their own interests are threatened in any way, demonstrate that they have no empathy, much less any sense of identification with gay men, contrary to the mythology that some of you have tried to construct.

Why don’t you answer my question?

10. T.J says

LOL at the republican gay trolls posting on here and justifying homophobia. You’ll never be accepted in our community conservative gays. Or your conservative community. Hence why y’all an angry bunch of fools.

11. Klien says

I sent A&E a strongly worded letter as did hundreds of my friends. THAT’S what we need to do as a community. Not be afraid to voice our opinions. Christians DON’T own freedom of speech.

12. Joseph Singer says

It should come as no surprise that A&E re-instated Robertson only because of the monetary angle. Duck Dynasty is a big winner for A&E. They’d be foolish not to rush after that backward clan. Duck Dynasty brings in the $$$ in ad revenue and eyeballs watching this “reality” show. Don’t kid yourself to think that A&E gives two chits about being racist or homophobic. This brouhaha only makes the show newzworthy. And all this publicity comes free and they don’t have to buy any of it. It’s a win-win for A&E. It’s funny to think that A&E once stood for arts and entertainment.

13. EchtKultig says

Look, GLAAD got played, and this is a major PR setback for the gay community. End of discussion. No intelligent, well-traveled person would interpret it as anything else. Mind you a setback isn’t a disaster, but by doubling down there’s every indication GLAAD won’t be able to avoid a disaster in the future.

I actually deigned to look at bios of some top GLAAD staffers. Uh oh. Way too many elite northeastern US backgrounds. Way too many people who are “successful in the world of business” and therefore MUST know what they are doing in a non-profit. Didn’t see anyone with a solid “soft sciences”, semi-quantitative background (PhD in sociology, psychology or economics…hell I’ll even take communications or poly sci) to really understand how an organization like that should best accomplish their goals. In short, I think they are teetering dangerous close to being “worse than nothing” at this point…i.e., we might just be better off without them. If I had been a donor, I’d be asking what is served by firing up the tea party base and rallying them around an already popular “reality” show hosted by rabid southern right-wingers…which is just about all they’ve accomplished on this one.

14. EchtKultig says

And of course, *I* could have and would have told GLAAD that it doesn’t really make sense to complain about an idiotic show that’s for, by and about southern right-wing pseudo-hicks (arguably more dangerous than real ones) but presumably it would take the professional authority of someone HAVING a PhD in sociology to convince a Wesleyan grad who’s lived a sheltered life in northeastern academia of the veracity of that assertion.