News | Web Series

BigGayDeal.com

Logo TV & NewNowNext’s New Web Series, ‘Male Gays’: VIDEO

Docu

“Male Gays,” a new web docu-series from director Blake Pruitt, takes a look at what it’s like to be young, gay and male today. In a series of interviews, a set of “young gay men from different walks of life” share their “experiences and opinions on queer life.”

The series follows up Pruitt's 20MALEGAYNYC, which looked at 20-something gay life in NYC specifically.

Episodes 1 and 2 deal with coming out and online dating respectively. Episodes 3 and 4, slated to be released in the coming weeks, tackle marriage equality and gay role models.

You can watch the first two episodes AFTER THE JUMP…

Get More:

Get More:

Comments

1. Yes - we need another show on young gay men and coming out. Its like tv and film have no gay stories other than coming out.

Posted by: Alan | Dec 15, 2013 10:03:35 PM

2. Logo stereotypes gay men.

Posted by: asamb | Dec 15, 2013 10:24:02 PM

3. As a young male gay, Ill watch. Online. But Id really like to see a series about middle-aged or elder gays. That seems much more interesting, and isnt well documented at all.

Posted by: jlavoy | Dec 15, 2013 10:31:51 PM

4. Older gay men only exist in reality. Not TV or movies.

Posted by: David R. | Dec 15, 2013 10:38:39 PM

5. @DAVID R: Unfortunately older gay men become pretty invisible in reality too.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 15, 2013 11:20:12 PM

6. Want to see more older gay men? Support organizations like SAGE USA or volunteer with your local SAGE Affiliate. I know in our chapter gay men are underrepresented. Don't just sit and yell at the TV/laptop.

sageusa.org

Posted by: Brandon H | Dec 16, 2013 12:11:38 AM

7. What an original concept.

Posted by: PeteP | Dec 16, 2013 12:37:54 AM

8. @sageusa.org: I know of the good work that SAGE does. I didn't mean that older gay people are invisible to each other. My observation is that they are often invisible to younger and middle aged gay folks.

Posted by: andrew | Dec 16, 2013 12:41:25 AM

9. I'm 30 and glad I am no where near 20. I have NO dating apps on my iPhone or iPad or Mac Pro (I'm an Apple geek, software/hardware engineer, former Apple employee). I live on Russian Hill in San Francisco and just your average looking gay guy who goes to the gym 2-3 a week and dates just as often. Few end up being sex dates. I do have a boyfriend and my weekends are generally spent with him. I don't understand young guys today - rings thru their noses, ear posts so big they belong in a Ubangi Tribe, some covered in so many tattoos I wonder how they can get a decent job (and more than not, what were you thinking when you had that full neck tattoo up to your chin line tatted on). A majority of younger guys flit around like school girls, squeal and giggle to the point of sheer revulsion (at least for me).

On the other hand, yesterday was SantaCon here in SF. Thousands of hot young straight and gay men (and women) dress in Santa uniforms and spend the entire day/late evening hitting every bar possible. A group of us went out, all gay, and three ended up picking up straight guys. The rest of us had a fun but not drunken time - we went to lunch, then dinner, we danced in the clubs and only two of the group got too carried away. We met up for breakfast this morning and our group of six had increased to ten (four guys brought their new dates). I just don't see that happening with the 20-something set and the guys in this documentary are the epitome of what I'm talking about.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 16, 2013 12:57:44 AM

10. I have always been gay. Always. My family has always known I was gay. My current boyfriend was introduced to me by one of my brothers and he wasn't even gay (or didn't think he was - hello!). My other brothers were always vying to see who could fix me up first. I am the youngest and my Dad treats me no differently than my siblings altho they all say "Dad loves you the most." All my brothers are married. I think my dad fears I may never marry even tho' I've been with my current boyfriend for two years now and my Dad treats him like a son and talks to me about "when you two do settle down".

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 16, 2013 1:29:28 AM

11. TMI Mike Ryan - save it for some Sean Cody scripts...

Posted by: etseq | Dec 16, 2013 2:13:14 AM

12. let me guess, 90 per cent of them are white.

Posted by: ian | Dec 16, 2013 2:41:00 AM

13. Seriously. I'd like to see more about gay guys in the middle of nowhere like here in Kentucky. I am sure that NYC and Louisville are worlds apart from each other. Why not do one of these shows on real people in real places instead of some exotic locale most of us will never visit.

Posted by: Bill Michael | Dec 16, 2013 5:18:51 AM

14. It looks like they're young, gay, male, and white.

Posted by: andy3433 | Dec 16, 2013 6:42:51 AM

15. I'm in Canada, and so unable to see these videos, but I share the frustration of several other posters here. Yet another video series about young gay men coming out? Haven't we seen enough of this? Sure, they can be pretty and charming, but that can only provide so much interest. More mature gay men and lesbians have a wealth of life experience to share.

Posted by: John Freeman | Dec 16, 2013 7:42:03 AM

16. "Queer life" . . . WTF is that? I'm a Gay male and I live a pretty normal life, just like most people. I will never understand how or why some people derive a thrill from LGBT stigma. It's perverse!

Posted by: Stuffed Animal | Dec 16, 2013 9:18:46 AM

17. Great. Another show full of people I can't related to at all. Whatever.

Posted by: Bravo | Dec 16, 2013 9:46:14 AM

18. Towelroad.....just a reminder : LOGO - copyrights restrict them from playing video outside outside of the USA.

Posted by: excy | Dec 16, 2013 10:10:24 AM

19. Why young gays? It's not like we don't know enough about young gays whether from here or Queerty et al.

Better to focus on our elderly gay population who have been kicked to the curb and forgotten mostly by those younger gays. Elder gay poverty, loneliness and discrimination should be addressed. Just from many comments one sees here at times shows how dismissive younger gays are of their elders, which is very sad.

Posted by: jamal49 | Dec 16, 2013 10:29:30 AM

20. Nothing new at all.!!!!!!!

Posted by: s | Dec 16, 2013 10:44:16 AM

21. @ETSEQ - my point being, give each of these guys ten more years of gay life and re-interview them. Their lives will have changed greatly. Odds are they will be openly gay, some married, some with kids, and a few die-hard singles still using Grindr, etc. I like to see myself as just an average gay man. I don't have a coming out sob story, a family who disowned me for being who I am, a regretted bone through my nose and I'm not alone. I think that's reality of most 30 YO+ gay men today. If it isn't we're in a lot of trouble.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 16, 2013 10:44:42 AM

22. Why are these the constant faces put forward for our community? You'd think the only gay people that existed were white, in their 20's and living in NYC.

Posted by: WHATWHAT | Dec 16, 2013 11:26:14 AM

23. I have a queer life - it's a life from a different perspective, outside of the perceived norm. Some gays want to be seen as "normal" or "common" - I'm not one of them.

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Dec 16, 2013 11:43:57 AM

24. I live in the USA, but all I get when I click to play these videos is an unpunctuated message saying that the videos can't be viewed by those outside the USA. What's going on?

Posted by: Scott | Dec 16, 2013 11:58:53 AM

25. Yeah. So excited to see yet another web series about young gay men. Thank God I already knew that I don't exist since I'm 48

Posted by: David | Dec 16, 2013 1:47:03 PM