Catholic Church | Minnesota | News

Anti-Gay MN Archbishop John Nienstedt Accused of Inappropriately Touching Underage Male: VIDEO

Nienstedt

Minneapolis Archbishop John Nienstedt, who launched a mass mailing campaign of 400,000 anti-gay DVDs in 2010, created a special "marriage prayer" to support for the anti-gay amendment on the state's ballot last November, told the mother of a gay son that she must reject him or risk burning in hell, and said Satan is behind gay marriage, has been accused of inappropriately touching a minor, KSTP reports:

Archbishop John Nienstedt denies the allegations, but is removing himself from ministry pending an investigation.

The archdiocese says the incident allegedly occurred in 2009 after a confirmation ceremony. Nienstedt is accused of inappropriately touching an underage male on the buttocks during a group photography session.

The archdiocese learned of the allegation last week and instructed the person who brought it forward to go to police.

In a letter posted Tuesday on the archdiocese website, Nienstedt says the allegation is "absolutely and entirely false." He says he hopes the investigation will be thorough and quick so he can return to work.

Watch KSTP's report and read a letter from the archdiocese, AFTER THE JUMP...

Statement from the Archdiocese about Abuse Allegations

Comments

1. Business as usual. "Blame the other guy for something I've done - this way, no one will point their finger at me." In the meantime, many of God's children are hurt and maligned. This is not the way of Christ or of anyone who believes in Right. Just sayin'.

Posted by: S. | Dec 17, 2013 3:21:27 PM

2. ROTFL. It never fails. Ever.

Posted by: DC Insider | Dec 17, 2013 3:30:46 PM

3. Caption: A crook with a crook.

Posted by: Nick | Dec 17, 2013 3:31:27 PM

4. These pedophiles are so afraid of themselves that they have to latch against normal law abiding gay people. And the Church enables them to get away with both abuse and hate. Disgusting.

Posted by: Jay | Dec 17, 2013 3:34:44 PM

5. Is the picture behind him Mary? That confirms Mary is white and therefore Jesus is white.

Posted by: simon | Dec 17, 2013 3:35:24 PM

6. As much contempt as I have for Nienstedt's behavior towards LGBT people, and as much as I believe his behavior has been so outrageous that it is likely indicative of repression of his own sexual feelings; this charge sounds a bit suspicious on the face of it, if this behavior was to have taken place during a group photography session after a Confirmation service.

Posted by: john patrick | Dec 17, 2013 3:36:02 PM

7. He looks like the type.

Posted by: Jack M | Dec 17, 2013 3:39:33 PM

8. Yeah as much as I was snickering when I read about this, I was disappointed to not see any proof. This could be a hoax and may just be someone trying desperately to discredit him. But if this turn out to be true, well, SHOCKING.

Posted by: rallyxx | Dec 17, 2013 3:41:36 PM

9. Yeah as much as I was snickering when I read about this, I was disappointed to not see any proof. This could be a hoax and may just be someone trying desperately to discredit him. But if this turn out to be true, well, SHOCKING.

Posted by: rallyxx | Dec 17, 2013 3:41:40 PM

10. Let's just hope the accuser is not a waitress from New Jersey.

Posted by: crispy | Dec 17, 2013 4:08:43 PM

11. Those closets... touching underage is horrible, wrong and criminal.
    As I've wrote numerous times, the Catholic Church will bring itself down, step by step, and with bishops like him, it should bring itself down.

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 17, 2013 4:08:53 PM

12. I'm with John Patrick on this one. Also, I hate the rush to judgement based on this accusation. I'm not saying he didn't do it, I'm just saying he is innocent until PROVEN guilty. It makes me uncomfortable condemning someone just because we want him to be guilty.

Posted by: Howard B | Dec 17, 2013 4:22:43 PM

13. I wish these disgusting pigs would go to a therapist to help them out of the closet instead of taking their self-hatred out on those of us who live openly, honestly and happily as gay people.

Posted by: ChrisQ | Dec 17, 2013 4:34:08 PM

14. I'm actually surprised. The church advised the accuser to go straight to the police. Maybe the church is changing (a bit).

Posted by: Tom | Dec 17, 2013 4:35:50 PM

15. Chrisq:
    He is not gay. He just loves children.

Posted by: simon | Dec 17, 2013 4:41:20 PM

16. Catholic priests are guilty until proven innocent.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Dec 17, 2013 4:48:50 PM

17. I suppose we could get a copy of that group photography session and see if the kid standing next to him looks surprised.

"I had both hands on my crozier the whole time!"

Now THAT sounds dirty!

Not to make light of it, but many parishioners would need a pregnant altar boy before they believed it. And then some would say it was a miracle.

Posted by: james st. james | Dec 17, 2013 5:13:46 PM

18. I realize some on here will jump at any sort of dangling piece of juicy meat that makes the Roman Catholic Church look to be hypocritical. But as some here have (thankfully) already pointed out, let's not let frustration at the Roman Catholic Church carry over into rushing to judgment. The whole charge sounds a bit suspicious. Touching a boy inappropriately on the butt? Me thinks this is a tempest in a teapot.

Posted by: Jon | Dec 17, 2013 5:51:03 PM

19. I have no idea whether or not he's guilty, but what really ticks me off about this report is the deference the reporters showed him. And he ran with that. He used their eagerness to give him the benefit of the doubt to turn the discussion away from the accusation against him to him being misled when he took the job. Whatta guy.
    ...and whatta crack news team.
    Excuse me while I go vomit.

Posted by: woody | Dec 17, 2013 5:58:19 PM

20. tom, they have to tell the accuser to go to the police. It's part of the Dallas Charter the US bishops adopted after the sexual abuse scandal broke in Boston a decade ago. It's an internal Catholic Church rule for the entire United States that the bishops approved themselves.
    they also spoke to the papal ambassador before acting. and francis isn't going to let them weasel around with this crap.

Posted by: woody | Dec 17, 2013 6:03:40 PM

21. Same ol' same ol. Again.

Posted by: DannyEastVillage | Dec 17, 2013 7:28:11 PM

22. It's been nice to see some comments on here from a few people who are able to be reasonable and fair minded. I, too, will not join the chorus of religion hating queens jumping to condemn this guy without any proof. I actually think there is plenty of reason to believe these are accusations are, in fact, not true. But I will wait for the investigation to play out and let the evidence, or lack thereof, speak for itsef.

Posted by: wheelie81 | Dec 17, 2013 7:38:42 PM

23. It wouldn't surprise me if the archbishop is "struggling" with same-sex attractions, can't sneak out and go to a gay bar, club, or party, and is so sexually frustrated that he latches onto children as his only "out." He then mistakenly thinks all gays behave as he does and wants the others to disappear to reduce the competition.

That is, unless someone fabricated the charges - possible, but one would hope that the TV station reporting it would have done a little fact checking before allowing the story to be broadcasted.

Posted by: Bill | Dec 17, 2013 8:25:36 PM

24. So they learned of it last week, before Neinstadt made his BIG apology to the congregation in Edina but didn't bother to mention the latest info in the apology.

Add to that the info today from the St Paul PD that the diocese is not cooperating in investigating past abuse cases:

Posted by: bkmn | Dec 17, 2013 8:52:50 PM

25. Gays need to leave the church....

Posted by: Ankerich | Dec 17, 2013 9:27:18 PM