Duck Dynasty | News | Phil Robertson

Phil Robertson Calls Gays 'Insolent, Arrogant God Haters' in Church Sermon: VIDEO

Phil_robertson

TMZ uncovers more video of Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson giving a 2010 sermon at Berean Bible Church in Pennsylvania

They write:

it's pretty much your typical bible-thumping drill.  Phil calls gay people shameful, perverse, heartless, faithless, senseless God haters ... destined for the burning pits of hell.

So with that backdrop ... A&E hired Robertson ... then allowed him to do an interview with GQ where it HAD to know the reporter would ask questions about his feelings toward gays ... and then when he answered honestly A&E punished Robertson.

Robertson may be misguided, but A&E is being dishonest for feigning shock about something it definitely knew all about.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. His career in Hollywood is ending three...two...one. But I am sure he likes much more giving hateful speeches to people like himself than working in environment where some of the people might actually be gay (openly, not in the closet like in the groups he speaks to).

Posted by: Matt27 | Dec 20, 2013 7:34:39 AM

2. Can you provide the proof that A&E KNEW about his anti-gay and anti-black opinions before putting him on the air? Can you provide the proof that A&E knew and approved of his interview with GQ? You make these assertions without backing them up with any evidence.

Posted by: anon | Dec 20, 2013 7:39:35 AM

3. Andy, do you realize that Harvey Levin is a republican who is defending Robertson?

Posted by: newday | Dec 20, 2013 7:39:50 AM

4. Is there any chance that this will just go away? I'd never heard of this Duck Family before this. What I see, I don't like.

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 20, 2013 8:02:15 AM

5. I hope the show doesn't get canceled, or him fired. Not because I don't think they deserve it, but because this is an incredibly popular show and I think gay people will be blamed for the cancelation. There will be a lot more anti-gay sentiment over getting the show canceled than anti-Duck sentiment over making the comments.

Posted by: Mike | Dec 20, 2013 8:32:36 AM

6. So he lived a life of sin, converted to Christianity and now gets to trash talk gays? Give me a break. You will see more good in Gay people who just want to love and live descent lives than you will ever see from this clown. If you believe in God, you know that the holy spirit didn't cease to exist with the culmination of the books in the Bible. Therefore ones relationship with God is equally affirming and perhaps more relevant that something that was written from the same divine inspiration in the past.

Posted by: Rafael | Dec 20, 2013 8:41:22 AM

7. TMZ and Towleroad do know that Robertson is quoting almost verbatim at points from Romans chapter 1, although I don't know which translation he's using. I don't agree with the view expressed, nor that this applies to our understanding of gay, but he's not taking this from nothing.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Dec 20, 2013 9:01:04 AM

8. For much of that clip, he is quoting/paraphrasing from Romans 1, a very familiar biblical passage. Do you think he shouldn't believe in or quote the Bible? He is a Christian after a

Posted by: Jake | Dec 20, 2013 9:17:50 AM

9. What I find sad is his calling all gay people who believe in God "god haters" when there are millions upon millions of gay people who not only believe in God but also work with churches, are pastors, go to church frequently, do good works for churches, etc.

Blanket statements are always self-condemning and this will eventually be his undoing.

Posted by: johnny | Dec 20, 2013 9:34:53 AM

10. He is not correct when he calls me a God hater. I do not hate any imaginary fictional characters. There are some human beings I find less than wonderful, but as far as an Imaginary Bearded Sky Daddy is concerned, meh.

Posted by: Steve Rider | Dec 20, 2013 9:52:56 AM

11. @Johnagj and @Jake: I know exactly the words (from a letter by Saul of Tarsus, who, by the way, had previously persecuted Christians) that he is citing. But as they were written, they had NOTHING to do with gay people or same-sex couples.
    Saul was expressing his opinion about a specific religious cult in Rome in which married people worshipped reptiles and birds using each other and models of those reptiles and birds in an orgy ritual.

This is no different in tone or intent than the so-called "Christians" (led by the Southern Baptists) who right through the 1960's widely read black people into verses about Noah's family to call all African-descended people cursed, inferior, immoral, etc.

Posted by: GregV | Dec 20, 2013 10:00:41 AM

12. Don't speak for me, Mr Robertson. You don't know anything about me. I doubt you've ever met anyone who is openly gay.

Posted by: KZ | Dec 20, 2013 10:05:47 AM

13. It sounds like he was paraphrasing Romans 1:25-32. Not sure it makes sense to take offense at a man simply reading from the Bible. Interesting how the media spins it...
    Romans 1:25-32
    For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. 26 For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions ; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural , 27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil ; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice ; they are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful ; 32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them.

Posted by: JJ | Dec 20, 2013 10:26:42 AM

14. jj:
    Who cares? You do believe in those nonsense?

Posted by: simon | Dec 20, 2013 10:29:52 AM

15. hey JJ;

The Constitution is my Bible. Keep your filthy hands off MY FREEDOM.

Posted by: q | Dec 20, 2013 10:40:08 AM

16. This is the kind of absolute hatred that I endured in West Texas where I grew up. Your back was up against the wall with these people. And it was not to be questioned. I was born in the early 1950's and his whole sermon and tone just typifies the atmosphere of the place. No quarter was given: If you were queer, you were lower than dirt. This proves that religion backs this kind of attitude up all the way.

Posted by: tjones | Dec 20, 2013 11:13:34 AM

17. This whole thing is a deliberate publicity stunt manufactured to create the "Chik Fil A Appreciation Day" effect, just in time to cash in on the ubiquitous Duck Dynasty holiday marketing.

I couldn't care less about these guys or what they believe, but all sides of this issue are using a manufactured controversy to cash in and milk it for all it's worth -- GQ, the "news" networks, GLAAD, NAACP, the usual right-wing loudmouth politicos, and last but not least A&E who precipitated this nonsense. Everybody wins -- except the gays, blacks, and an increasingly polarized and culture-war-torn public-at-large who guzzle down outrage and indignation like it's the hottest drug ever.

The whole thing is disgusting.

Posted by: Shelly | Dec 20, 2013 11:22:09 AM

18. I really wish people would actually read the damn article. It is painfully obvious that most sites are just using the excerpts being passed around the internet as their source. Robertson's rants were largely impromptu; he was not asked about his opinions on homosexuality. The questions that were asked were to clarify points of his rants. According to the article, the author had a hard time getting a word in, due to Robertson's proselytizing.

Posted by: OddBet | Dec 20, 2013 11:31:54 AM

19. Of course, the more we learn about them the crazier the whole thing is going to appear. That's just how these things work.

Posted by: anon | Dec 20, 2013 1:17:24 PM

20. PLEASE TWEET Harvey Levin about his constant homophobia. He constantly bashes Obama on TMZ Live and recently said all the modern family award wins is due to the gay agenda. ON AIR. And he gets away with it because he's gay. A bitter old gay
    self hater.

Posted by: DingDong | Dec 20, 2013 1:30:47 PM

21. May all religious people burn and live a life of misery. ALL of you. Glad you live in an era where your sht gets called out!

Posted by: Mike | Dec 20, 2013 1:32:41 PM

22. He gave a sermon dressed like that? Seriously? Is camo like his version of Mormon "magic underwear" or something?

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Dec 20, 2013 1:54:07 PM

23. Old man yells at cloud

Cloud responds by cancelling him

maybe God is trying to tell you something, Phil

Posted by: Kev C | Dec 20, 2013 2:47:37 PM

24. GregV: Thats a probable interpretation of Romans 1 which I personally think is likely. Yet this is one with a very modern origin it should be noted. Robertsons view goes back to early Christianity so no one should be surprised that there are Christians who hold to it. Ditto for the Flood story or Creation. Of course in those cases at least we have science to show just how problematic a literal interpretation of these can be, to put it nicely. Science has yet to show us, and it's is really beyond its provenance, about what happens to a soul after death (let alone if such even exists). I could care less what Robertson thinks of my eternal chances because I'm gay. Plenty of folks think I'm going to burn forever or come back as a bug or something because I don't conform to what they believe about God or morality. What, you think only some Christians believe this? In the context in which gave his remarks I wasn't offended nor do I think he should have been fired by A&E (although they have every right to do so). This was also a poor choice by GLAAD to make an issue about.

Posted by: JohnAGJ | Dec 20, 2013 3:53:32 PM

25. I just want someone to ask Robertson one question. So what do you think about Jews?
    I live for that response!!!

Posted by: ty | Dec 20, 2013 4:24:21 PM