John Lewis | Nelson Mandela | Rachel Maddow

BigGayDeal.com

Rachel Maddow on Mandela's Experience and the Movement Inspired by Him: VIDEO

Maddow_mandela

Rachel Maddow delivers a moving look back at Nelson Mandela's life before discussing his legacy with Congressman and civil rights hero John Lewis.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I'm liking the Divestment strategy. It's time for Gay, Inc. to up their game.

We need to move away from the symbolism of dumping vodka on the street and chaining ourselves to stuff. We need a full-on coordinated campaign to keep LGBT and ally dollars far the hell away from companies that have Russian and Republican stank on them.

I'm looking at you, NBC.

Posted by: FFS | Dec 6, 2013 7:36:51 AM

2. This was an exceptional piece, fully exploring the legacy and example of this great man. No other program or network did anything like it...so well done, so polished, on short notice. 10 minutes in, I reached to activate the DVR so I could save and watch this again.

Posted by: BreckRoy | Dec 6, 2013 7:48:33 AM

3. @ Breckroy - I wish I had thought of that.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Dec 6, 2013 8:37:15 AM

4. I can't watch the report right now, so I don't know if she mentioned it, but Mandela was also on a United States watch list as a potential terrorist until 2008.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 6, 2013 8:45:41 AM

5. Context is everything. That was superb. That’s what journalism is supposed to be.

Posted by: Carlie | Dec 6, 2013 10:47:49 AM

6. The American Ultra-Liberals will be flogging Mandela's death for days and days to come.
    Yes, he was a fine man, but the American extremism on this and other issues detracts badly from the original, core situation.

Posted by: David From Canada | Dec 6, 2013 10:47:50 AM

7. DFC: unlike all the ultra-conservatives that have started screeching about how Mandela was a terrorist? Stop trying to turn this story into partisan criticism and show some respect.

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 6, 2013 11:38:30 AM

8. Mandela was without sin. He was really kind of god. Some people say that he was the result of a coupling between a human female and the archangel Gabriel. It is a documented fact that his feces could cure cancer.

How shall we live now that our messiah has gone? In faith. Mandela shall rise again on the 3rd day!

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 6, 2013 3:49:52 PM

9. Rick,

you could have printed the above comment under your own posting name. You didn't have to use Tyler's name. We know how you feel about Mandela's life, and that you do not value his legacy. We already know.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Dec 6, 2013 4:38:08 PM

10. Derrick, I have worshiped Mandela for decades. I have a shrine to him in my kitchen. I only needed a lock of his hair and an eye of newt to complete it and now, alas, it is not to be!

Oh, Mandela! Greatest human being in the history of the world! God among mortals! The most perfect combination of organic molecules ever conceived in Nature! How shall we now live?!

Posted by: Tyler | Dec 6, 2013 5:23:53 PM