News | Zachary Quinto

BigGayDeal.com

Zachary Quinto On Mr Porter.Com: PHOTOS

Quinto3

Zachary Quinto, who recently returned to the New York stage in a widely lauded turn as Tom Wingfield in Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, sat down with online fashion retailer Mr Porter to talk sartorial wisdom, why the actor prefers New York to LA, and his entrepreneurial endeavors in film-making, among other topics.

On fashion:

"It's more a matter of trying to make sure I'm wearing things that fit well but that are not boring," says Mr Quinto in his dressing room upstairs at the Booth Theater, where in a few hours he will take to the stage in Mr Williams' 1945 play. "As a guy, that's a little more of a challenge than if you're able to wear a big gown. We have to work with fewer resources. It becomes about the details. Cufflinks. Tie bars. Do you have a break in your trousers or is it a shorter hem? I've learnt a lot about tailoring: what fits and what lines are good for me and my body type."

On New York versus LA:

"New York is more about function over form," he says. "LA's a little more about how things look. Here, there's less time to think about it. I put less thought and effort into it. I will literally wear the same thing for a few days because my days are spent running around" [...]

"I've always wanted to live here [in New York]," he says. "The past 13 years of working in LA were a lot about figuring out when and how to get back here. I love Los Angeles, it's a beautiful city, but it has no soul. It requires so much more effort. Here, you step outside of your apartment and you never know where it's going to take you."

On his production company, Before The Door, which produced the financial crisis thriller Margin Call and, more recently, Robert Redford's All Is Lost (for which Redford just received a Golden Globe nod):

"I have to focus on my career as an actor primarily in order to give myself any credit or leverage to run this company to begin with," he explains.

But mostly, Mr Quinto insists, "I've learnt that it's possible to make really good films and to have everybody enjoy the process of doing it. And that's a great thing to know." As of now, Before The Door has about six projects in active development and is looking for vehicles for Mr Quinto, which could potentially include a cable television series with "a really unique character" that he would not elaborate on.

On what comes after Broadway:

The last time [Mr Quinto] finished a play in New York - a revival of Angels in America - he took a month-long trek to Peru by himself. "That's a different thing than going on vacation," he says. Right now, he's considering India, though Bora Bora might win out.

Check out a few more pics of Quinto in the city AFTER THE JUMP...

Quinto1

Quinto2

Quinto4

Quinto5

Comments

1. I love my man but I love Zachary as well.
    My man's okay with it.

Posted by: Gigi | Dec 15, 2013 12:35:42 PM

2. Fine actor and total inspiration.

Posted by: Deep | Dec 15, 2013 12:44:33 PM

3. Pic #4 is great. Great look.

Posted by: Deep | Dec 15, 2013 12:47:57 PM

4. he's come a long way from Heroes

Posted by: Grover Underwood | Dec 15, 2013 1:15:42 PM

5. Mr. Quinto lives a rarefied life in L.A. and NYC, where he can not worry about "wearing the same thing" a few days in a row. Most people, gay or otherwise, don't live in such a rarefied lifestyle in the right neighborhoods of such happening cities. I relate to him as a human being and a man, but not the rest.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 15, 2013 1:39:02 PM

6. Here's hoping he reconsiders India as a travel destination. I'm thinking he's smart enough not to make that mistake.

Posted by: Taylor | Dec 15, 2013 1:44:24 PM

7. @Rat

There is nothing rarefied about living in NYC or LA. lol wtf

Posted by: Deep | Dec 15, 2013 1:59:11 PM

8. " I will literally wear the same thing for a few days because my days are spent running around" [...]"

Plus there's the very lucrative used-clothing market on EBay, especially for socks and underwear...

Posted by: BobN | Dec 15, 2013 2:03:01 PM

9. Indeed, he has come a long way from Tori Spelling's gay Sassan; however,is anyone else finding him to be a little self-possessed artsy? Where I used to find him somewhat intellectual and down to earth, he now is being portrayed as the grand dame of everything outré and Innnn-ta-resting--**long cigarette holder in hand, billing smoke into fantastical creatures**.

Posted by: woodroad34 | Dec 15, 2013 2:05:58 PM

10. Yeah, I like the guy, but he comes off incredibly pretentious and obnoxious in this interview. L.A. is beautiful but 'has no soul?' I could say the same for his personality, based solely on this interview. Whah. =/

Posted by: JMG | Dec 15, 2013 2:16:52 PM

11. I was very impressed with his performance in "The Glass Menagerie." It was an impressive cast, production, play . . .

Posted by: Alan | Dec 15, 2013 2:48:57 PM

12. @deep,

Are you being a smart ass? Of course that literally is not what I meant with that remark. I'm referring to the bicostal "lifestyle", and the $ to live it, in the hip cool neighborhoods, of course.

And I was born in NYC (not one of the hip neighborhoods), lived there as a child and adult, FREQUENTLY visit, and have also lived for one year as an adult in L.A.

Posted by: ratbastard | Dec 15, 2013 3:06:14 PM

13. Encourage him to boycott India. As an openly gay man he should not be hanging out in a country that would put him in jail if he were the same openly gay citizen.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Dec 15, 2013 3:31:05 PM

14. He's right, LA has no soul whatsoever. It's a company town, the company being entertainment, and it's filled with people who are stars, wannabe stars, or failures at being stars who are miserable. If you go to a party everyone is talking about the business all the time and looking over your shoulder to see who's more interesting. People always ask, "What are you working on?" Good looking people are given far more value than smart people. Money and status rule. People like Kim Kardashian are allowed to get on TV. The gay community in LA is horrible - if they're not attracted to you, they don't even want to talk to you. People are nice to your face but killers behind your back. I hate LA. Good weather, though.

Posted by: Jim | Dec 15, 2013 4:59:58 PM

15. As Neil Simon said, "When it's 100 in New York, it's 78 in Los Angeles, and when it's 5 below in New York, it's 78 in Los Angeles, but there are 2,000,000 interesting people in New York, and 78 in Los Angeles."

Posted by: Jim | Dec 15, 2013 5:02:58 PM

16. If you can't find soul in L.A., you can't find it anywhere. There are millions of people who don't work in the entertainment industry living the good life in Los Angeles. I'm one of them!

Posted by: MARTIN | Dec 15, 2013 5:23:40 PM

17. When you only talk to people who work in the entertainment industry, then yes, it's the only thing people talk to you about. If you open yourself to the millions of people in LA who don't work in the industry I'm sure you'll find it a much more interesting place.

When people talk about how great New York is, they're usually only talking about Manhattan and then only a couple of blocks. Don't get me wrong, I love NY, but I live in LA and am happy to do so.

Posted by: Armando | Dec 15, 2013 10:52:53 PM

18. I live in NYC and love L.A. (and I live in Queens after three years in Hells Kitchen).

Posted by: dizzyspins | Dec 15, 2013 10:57:42 PM

19. @Rat

You are so stupid and stop using your white skin to make every else dumber than you.

Posted by: Governor Globe | Dec 15, 2013 11:09:10 PM

20. Zachary,

Please for the love of god leak a sex tape already.

- everyone