Illinois | Video | weather

BigGayDeal.com

Watch a Bottle of Water in Chicago Freeze Before Your Very Eyes: VIDEO

Frozen_water

Monday in Chicago the temperature was -13 degrees Fahrenheit—cold enough to make a bottle of water freeze before your very eyes, as Sharon Samuelson in South Elgin, Illinois discovered.

Stay warm and well hydrated, kids. The polar vortex is coming for your H2O.

See the video AFTER THE JUMP…

Comments

1. Ugh. It has been AWFUL in Chicago.

Posted by: Mikey | Jan 6, 2014 11:06:13 PM

2. I know it's been cold there, but that video is just showing previously supercooled water forming into ice due to agitation--there are numerous examples of this trick on YouTube. If the ambient temperature was so cold that the water would freeze like that, then her whole hand would've frozen in the same time, or at the very least, it would've been too painful to expose her hand to the air.

There are, however, videos where people have sprayed water into the air, and it turns into ice droplets before the water hits the ground--this is plausible because the water droplets are small enough to freeze in midair.

Posted by: atomic | Jan 6, 2014 11:14:32 PM

3. Wow. Now that's cold. Pretty neat to watch though.

Posted by: MickyFlip | Jan 6, 2014 11:21:49 PM

4. Vertical Video Syndrome, IT HURTS!

Posted by: Bernard | Jan 6, 2014 11:39:43 PM

5. Yet her hands are completely unaffected by the cold.

Posted by: art | Jan 6, 2014 11:42:06 PM

6. The real news here is that Piggly Wiggly still exists.

Posted by: Sully | Jan 6, 2014 11:48:45 PM

7. But what type of bottle is that in the LGBTQIA universe? Some might want to post a complaint about this display.

Posted by: Newsboi | Jan 6, 2014 11:55:26 PM

8. I'm going to watch that video every time I think it might be nice to move to Chicago.

Posted by: Charles | Jan 7, 2014 12:00:40 AM

9. Didn't anyone take Chemistry Lab in high school? You could do that trick with supercooled water on a moderately cool day.

We fell for this trick back in school too.

Posted by: bravo | Jan 7, 2014 12:20:27 AM

10. Didn't anyone take Chemistry Lab in high school? You could do that trick with supercooled water on a moderately cool day.

We fell for this trick back in school too.

Posted by: bravo | Jan 7, 2014 12:20:27 AM

11. @sully The smartest and best comment ever seen on towleroad.

Posted by: Sully Fan | Jan 7, 2014 12:23:22 AM

12. Chicago native here... I can attest that it really is that cold here. My head hurts (like a brain freeze one might get from eating ice cream really fast) a few moments after stepping out the door. Schools are closed and I'm a hairdesser with no clients in the book and I'm choosing to stay home today and tomorrow.

Posted by: HAHA-NO | Jan 7, 2014 12:29:01 AM

13. I hate people who buy bottled water

Posted by: pd | Jan 7, 2014 1:04:41 AM

14. Atomic be my boyfriend.

Posted by: Kissyfur | Jan 7, 2014 1:37:10 AM

15. There are no piggly wiggly store an chicago

Posted by: UrbanMike | Jan 7, 2014 2:12:58 AM

16. As others have pointed out in their comments on this site and on Youtube: this video in no way demonstrates how cold it is in Chicago, it is a covert demonstration of supercooled water freezing after being disturbed.

Take it offline, this is not news.

Posted by: H.J. | Jan 7, 2014 4:39:14 AM

17. This one is fun tho - what to do with hot water in -13F/-25C: http://youtu.be/v6n0Xf5rmNE

Posted by: cal | Jan 7, 2014 5:40:46 AM

18. in philly- was walking up 17th st this am - on way to wrk - felt like I just drank a slurpy real fast - brain freeze......Give me 95 degrees ANY DAY!~!!!!

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 7, 2014 8:07:39 AM

19. I saw a bottle of water do that once. My ex and I got in the car on a very cold day, and the water bottle laying on the floor of the car froze as I looked at it (probably because we jostled it getting in). Very cool. Could have missed it, though, since it happened so quickly.

Posted by: Tatts | Jan 7, 2014 8:44:01 AM

20. Funny how her fingers are just fine if the air is "so cold." Where are her gloves? Why don't her fingers freeze too?

Posted by: Andrew | Jan 7, 2014 9:28:12 AM

21. The woman is clearly a witch. I say dunk her and see if she floats!

Posted by: BobN | Jan 7, 2014 2:04:27 PM

22. Cool!

Posted by: anon | Jan 7, 2014 3:33:41 PM

23. That isn't from Chicago. We don't have PIGGLY WIGGLY grocery stores in Chicago. FAKE.

Posted by: Eric in Chicago | Jan 8, 2014 1:09:21 AM