Comments

1. atomic says

I know it’s been cold there, but that video is just showing previously supercooled water forming into ice due to agitation–there are numerous examples of this trick on YouTube. If the ambient temperature was so cold that the water would freeze like that, then her whole hand would’ve frozen in the same time, or at the very least, it would’ve been too painful to expose her hand to the air.

There are, however, videos where people have sprayed water into the air, and it turns into ice droplets before the water hits the ground–this is plausible because the water droplets are small enough to freeze in midair.

2. Newsboi says

But what type of bottle is that in the LGBTQIA universe? Some might want to post a complaint about this display.

3. bravo says

Didn’t anyone take Chemistry Lab in high school? You could do that trick with supercooled water on a moderately cool day.

We fell for this trick back in school too.

4. bravo says

We fell for this trick back in school too.

5. HAHA-NO says

Chicago native here… I can attest that it really is that cold here. My head hurts (like a brain freeze one might get from eating ice cream really fast) a few moments after stepping out the door. Schools are closed and I’m a hairdesser with no clients in the book and I’m choosing to stay home today and tomorrow.

6. H.J. says

As others have pointed out in their comments on this site and on Youtube: this video in no way demonstrates how cold it is in Chicago, it is a covert demonstration of supercooled water freezing after being disturbed.

Take it offline, this is not news.

7. disgusted american says

in philly- was walking up 17th st this am – on way to wrk – felt like I just drank a slurpy real fast – brain freeze……Give me 95 degrees ANY DAY!~!!!!

8. Tatts says

I saw a bottle of water do that once. My ex and I got in the car on a very cold day, and the water bottle laying on the floor of the car froze as I looked at it (probably because we jostled it getting in). Very cool. Could have missed it, though, since it happened so quickly.

9. Andrew says

Funny how her fingers are just fine if the air is “so cold.” Where are her gloves? Why don’t her fingers freeze too?

10. Eric in Chicago says

That isn’t from Chicago. We don’t have PIGGLY WIGGLY grocery stores in Chicago. FAKE.