Censorship | Education | Georgia | News

Covenant College Censors Gay Rights Work from Former Student's Alumni Update

Kathryn Brightbill, an alumna of Covenant College, a Christian liberal arts college in Georgia, recently sent in an update to the school's alumni newspaper because she was proud of some of the recent professional work she had accomplished, assisting on research for an amicus brief in the Prop. 8 and DOMA cases.

Writes Brightbill: Brightbill

And so, I filled out the alumni update form to say that I’m a student at UF Law and was asked to work on the Family Equality Council, et al. brief in Perry and Windsor, and that as part of that I coauthored the LGBTQ Youth and Young Adult Survey as a joint project between the University of Florida Center on Children and Families and the Emory Child Rights Project. All very professional and academic. There was no intent to make a political statement. It wasn’t a protest against Covenant or the PCA’s position on homosexuality in general or marriage equality in particular. It was just a nice, generic alumni update about what I’ve been up to recently.

So what did the school publish?

Kathryn Brightbill '03 is currently studying law at the University of Florida Law School.

Adds Brightbill:

The only part of my update that Covenant published was my name and the fact that I’m a student at UF. The rest of the update, the professional accomplishments that prompted the decision to send an update in the first place? Gone. Erased. Unacknowledged.

Covenant tells me that they won’t run it because they won’t print anything that’s counter to the position of the college. Apparently doing so would “celebrate” something they disagree with. The disclaimer in the masthead that the contents of the View may not necessarily reflect the views of the college isn’t enough. Neither was my suggestion that they print a disclaimer before the updates specifically stating that updates were for informational purposes only and did not imply endorsement by the school.

Read her full post here.

Comments

1. Apparently the college feels its position to be so weak that it cannot withstand a debate - or even the light of day.

Posted by: Dave in NYC | Jan 8, 2014 9:32:16 AM

2. Fundamentalism is not open to "debate". Part of the belief system is "faith". If people start questioning, then the whole thing reveals itself to just be a philosophy and people become less likely to be controlled.

Posted by: stevetalbert | Jan 8, 2014 10:00:50 AM

3. Another example of Christian tolerance.

Posted by: Joseph Singer | Jan 8, 2014 10:19:49 AM

4. sweety - now you know what KIND of school you went too, and spent your money on.....How's Bigotry taste?

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 8, 2014 10:23:24 AM

5. "Christian liberal arts" Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

Posted by: Kieran | Jan 8, 2014 10:23:37 AM

6. So what does she expect from a school like that? Narrow minded bigotry is endemic in its overall mind set. Surprise surprise???

Posted by: TomR | Jan 8, 2014 11:14:35 AM

7. Every time I read a story like this I have to laugh. Peaple are shocked? REALLY!! That would like being shocked when you read someone was mauled by a pitbull. Is anyone still really that stupid?

Posted by: Akula | Jan 8, 2014 11:20:43 AM

8. @akula- I assume that's a rhetorical question.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 8, 2014 11:27:38 AM

9. Such is life. If you don't like it, don't attend a Christian college. Move on.

Posted by: Jon | Jan 8, 2014 11:39:27 AM

10. Christianity has been editing & subverting anything that portrays homosexuals in a positive way since it's inception. It's part of making us invisible. It will only stop when its own members demand it. The hierarchy of organized religions won't change unless forced to by it's members. Kathryn is helping to do that.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 8, 2014 12:23:10 PM

11. Covenant College is located very close to Chattanooga, TN. Chattanooga is a very liberal city in comparison to some other southern cities.

I can see how she would be confused that her college wouldn't acknowledge her hard work in making the world better. From their response it sounds like maybe she spent too much time off campus and accidently developed an equality based worldview. I wish her all the best without their recognition.

Success is the best revenge, It's their loss. I'm afraid I would have to forget to mention my time spent there as I progressed beyond their boundaries.

Posted by: Hey Darlin' | Jan 8, 2014 12:36:49 PM

12. Having been raised in the PCA church, I can tell you that this denomination is absolutely obsessed with homosexuality. It took my years to recover from all of the self hatred that was introduced to me as the word of God. My heart goes out to all of the gay kids being brought up in this church today.

Posted by: Timothy | Jan 8, 2014 1:34:53 PM

13. The real hypocrisy is that probably not one of those so-called Christians could bring comfort to even a flea in distress! Sounds to me like a clear case of living in violation of the gospels.

Posted by: TomR | Jan 8, 2014 2:51:43 PM

14. Well now she knows her alma mater will neither want nor deserve her charitable donations in the future.

Posted by: JJ | Jan 8, 2014 4:20:33 PM