Dennis Rodman | Kim Jong-Un | News

Dennis Rodman Apologizes for Outburst During CNN Interview, Says He'd Been Drinking

Dennis Rodman

In a statement released earlier today, former NBA player Dennis Rodman apologized for his explosive confrontation with CNN’s Chris Cuomo when challenged about his recent trip to North Korea and his refusal to discuss human rights abuses and the detention of Kenneth Bae with dictator Kim Jong-Un.

Read the statement in full:

I take full responsibility for my actions. It had been a very stressful day. Some of my teammates were leaving because of pressure from their families and business associates. My dreams of basketball diplomacy was quickly falling apart. I had been drinking. It’s not an excuse but by the time the interview happened I was upset.

I want to first apologize to Kenneth Bae’s family. I want to apologize to my teammates and my management team. I embarrassed a lot of people. I’m very sorry. At this point I should know better than to make political statements. I’m truly sorry.

In case you missed the video of Rodman’s outburst, you can watch HERE

Comments

1. That was a surprisingly adult apology from him, I wasn't expecting that. He acknowledged the situation and circumstances but didn't use them as an excuse. Other notable figures can take note from this and drop the non-apology apologies we the public usually get!

Posted by: cdubios | Jan 9, 2014 1:39:31 PM

2. Apologies that are not followed by contrite action are worthless.

Chris Christie should resign.

And this idiot needs to sit down and shut up.

Posted by: lewlew | Jan 9, 2014 1:40:00 PM

3. I'm not sure that he made a political statement.

Posted by: Paul R | Jan 9, 2014 1:52:08 PM

4. @LewLew—I agree, totally agree.

I'm just glad there was enough backlash that Rodwhoosit had no choice but to apologize. No excuses accepted, as the possible damage has already been done. At least this shows that privilege does not beget immunity from public shame.

As to Christie, I have to say I'm glad what's happening is happening, I love a good scandal and it's good to expose the underside of the whale before its too late.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jan 9, 2014 1:56:44 PM

5. Dennis:

1) Stop hanging out with dictators

2) Stop pretending you are doing "diplomacy"

3) Sop thinking that you are doing anything more than a silly sideshow

4) Stop drinking

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 9, 2014 2:07:08 PM

6. RE: Rodman-better late than never

RE: Christie-better now than later

Posted by: Perry | Jan 9, 2014 2:14:08 PM

7. of course he'd been drinking: that's all they have in North Korea--the world's largest importer of Hennesey.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jan 9, 2014 2:29:33 PM

8. Stupid and willful ignorance are a dangerous combination.

Sad when people prostitute themselves and then pretend like it is something more than that.

Posted by: Mark | Jan 9, 2014 2:58:12 PM

9. Apology not accepted. You're a drunk and drug addict for years, Rodman. Your judgment has obviously been clouded by your substance abuse. No sane, thinking person would patronize that miserable little wretched dictator of North Korea. You're a greedy prick, Rodman, and your mea culpa does NOT excuse what you are doing. One hopes Kim Jong-Un turns on you and feeds YOU to ravenous dogs.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 9, 2014 3:35:54 PM

10. He should hang out w/ the mayor of Toronto.

Posted by: anon | Jan 9, 2014 5:00:12 PM

11. Well, well...well, I understand the reaction of some of you...all. I just want to remind the folks that come to this blog with "homosexual tendencies" that Dennis Rodman has spoken out his support for Gay folks long before any other pro-athlete. Only Charles Barkley may have spoken favorably for decent treatment of Gay folks at the same time.

No, I don't like him hanging out with the North Korean dictator.

But I just watched an interview with Rodman by Marc Lamont Hill where the subject of Gay NBA players was discussed. Rodman was supportive of Gay folks just like he was twenty years ago.

That's all I've got to say.

Oh, I just wish he'd stop putting all those damn piercings in his face...but that probably comes from his childhood of being told he was so ugly.

Posted by: Derrick from Philly | Jan 9, 2014 5:24:32 PM

12. Who really gives a rats ass what this person say. He is so full of himself. I think he is only doing all this to get noticed

Posted by: Mark | Jan 9, 2014 5:49:55 PM

13. Hey, at least he sang Happy Birthday for Kim! And he didn't use having too much to drink as an excuse for how well he sung it!

Posted by: Bill | Jan 9, 2014 6:12:28 PM

14. DERRICK: Being supportive of gay rights doesn't give you a free pass to be an idiot. Nor does it allow you to pal around with a dictator, spread North Korea's propoganda about an American being held captive, or pretend you are doing "diplomacy" when if fact, you're not, you are just being used by a dictator to ridicule Americans. Give your head a shake.

Posted by: BETTY | Jan 9, 2014 6:26:40 PM

15. while he is there the state department should pull his passport and leave him there if he likes it so much . maybe next time the little dictator will get pissed and execute him

Posted by: walter | Jan 9, 2014 7:10:03 PM

16. It would have been great if that crazy murderous dictator had turned on that FOOL Rodman and thrown his butt in prison.

Posted by: andrew | Jan 10, 2014 1:15:23 AM