Dennis Rodman Apologizes for Outburst During CNN Interview, Says He’d Been Drinking

Dennis Rodman

In a statement released earlier today, former NBA player Dennis Rodman apologized for his explosive confrontation with CNN’s Chris Cuomo when challenged about his recent trip to North Korea and his refusal to discuss human rights abuses and the detention of Kenneth Bae with dictator Kim Jong-Un.

Read the statement in full:

I take full responsibility for my actions. It had been a very stressful day. Some of my teammates were leaving because of pressure from their families and business associates. My dreams of basketball diplomacy was quickly falling apart. I had been drinking. It’s not an excuse but by the time the interview happened I was upset.

I want to first apologize to Kenneth Bae’s family. I want to apologize to my teammates and my management team. I embarrassed a lot of people. I’m very sorry. At this point I should know better than to make political statements. I’m truly sorry.

In case you missed the video of Rodman’s outburst, you can watch HERE

Comments

1. cdubios says

That was a surprisingly adult apology from him, I wasn’t expecting that. He acknowledged the situation and circumstances but didn’t use them as an excuse. Other notable figures can take note from this and drop the non-apology apologies we the public usually get!

2. tinkerbelle says

@LewLew—I agree, totally agree.

I’m just glad there was enough backlash that Rodwhoosit had no choice but to apologize. No excuses accepted, as the possible damage has already been done. At least this shows that privilege does not beget immunity from public shame.

As to Christie, I have to say I’m glad what’s happening is happening, I love a good scandal and it’s good to expose the underside of the whale before its too late.

3. BETTY says

Dennis:

1) Stop hanging out with dictators

2) Stop pretending you are doing “diplomacy”

3) Sop thinking that you are doing anything more than a silly sideshow

4) Stop drinking

4. jamal49 says

Apology not accepted. You’re a drunk and drug addict for years, Rodman. Your judgment has obviously been clouded by your substance abuse. No sane, thinking person would patronize that miserable little wretched dictator of North Korea. You’re a greedy prick, Rodman, and your mea culpa does NOT excuse what you are doing. One hopes Kim Jong-Un turns on you and feeds YOU to ravenous dogs.

5. Derrick from Philly says

Well, well…well, I understand the reaction of some of you…all. I just want to remind the folks that come to this blog with “homosexual tendencies” that Dennis Rodman has spoken out his support for Gay folks long before any other pro-athlete. Only Charles Barkley may have spoken favorably for decent treatment of Gay folks at the same time.

No, I don’t like him hanging out with the North Korean dictator.

But I just watched an interview with Rodman by Marc Lamont Hill where the subject of Gay NBA players was discussed. Rodman was supportive of Gay folks just like he was twenty years ago.

That’s all I’ve got to say.

Oh, I just wish he’d stop putting all those damn piercings in his face…but that probably comes from his childhood of being told he was so ugly.

6. BETTY says

DERRICK: Being supportive of gay rights doesn’t give you a free pass to be an idiot. Nor does it allow you to pal around with a dictator, spread North Korea’s propoganda about an American being held captive, or pretend you are doing “diplomacy” when if fact, you’re not, you are just being used by a dictator to ridicule Americans. Give your head a shake.

7. walter says

while he is there the state department should pull his passport and leave him there if he likes it so much . maybe next time the little dictator will get pissed and execute him