Evander Holyfield Offers Half-Apology for Calling Gays ‘Handicapped’ and ‘Not Normal’

Evander holyfield

Former heavyweight champion boxer Evander Holyfield said he owes an apology for controversial remarks he made on UK Celebrity Big Brother that being gay is being “handicapped” and “ is a choice”

He added that homosexuality is something that can be fixed by a doctor, saying "What would be good about it? That ain't normal."

Holyfield, who was recently evicted from the show, was naturally asked by reporters about the homophobic comments he made while in the house.

He responded:

"I was telling one person my view. I do owe an apology for what I said because I really wasn't talking and really wasn't trying to talk about somebody, because I don't talk about nobody. She asked me something and I thought I was sharing with her my view personally, and I forgot about everything. So I am going to make a public apology about that because I am sorry for anybody I offended in that situation."

Comments

1. terry says

this is a prime example of the need for studies on the long term effects of blows to the head whether it be from boxing or football. But then again he might just be stupid.

2. Don't Point and Make Fun says

Dementia overlayed on ignorance and lack of native intelligence is a frightful thing to behold. Ironically, he sounds just like the Mormons.

3. says

Considering a lot of gays think all straight guys are “just in the closet” should this really get the media storm it doesn’t deserve?

4. Jumper says

Evander who? I mean really. Who on this planet gives a rat’s ass what this dude thinks about ANYTING?

5. Michael W. says

God, I am so sick of stupid people spouting their ignorance for everyone to hear then quickly following up with an apology or non-apologetic apology. Just shut the f*ck up!

6. PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS says

Yet more proof of the damage from being punched in the head waaaaaay too many times………..

7. Daniel Berry, NYC says

kinda proves that getting hit in the head for a living isn’t good for the ability to think like, speak like or even pretend you’re a decent human being.

8. Deb says

Will somebody PLEASE get this punch-drunk dumb-f*** AWAY from speaking opportunities?

Just put him in the ring until he is no longer entertaining to the people who like professional fighting, and then RETIRE him from public life.

He doesn’t deserve to be listened to by anyone other than his immediate contacts.

9. Louis says

Well I guess he can kiss any endorsement opprotunities goodbye. Homophobia does not sell well.

10. Bernie says

the apology from his original statements is NOTHING but fake! I don’t care how much he apologizes, his true feelings about gay people were expressed and nothing can change that………….

11. Randy says

For someone who has taken a few blows to the head, I imagine that counts as an apology, so I’ll accept it.