AIDS/HIV | California | Gay Marriage | News

Gay Couple Marries in Rose Parade: VIDEO

Roseparade
(image nbcla twitter)

Danny Leclair, 45, and Aubrey Loots, 42, a gay Los Angeles couple of 12 years, were married atop a float in Pasadena's Tournament of Roses Parade today sponsored by the AIDS Healthcare Foundation and intended to mark the first New Year's Day that same-sex marriage is legal in California and the role that marriage can play in helping to reduce new HIV infections among gay men, according to an AHF official.

Reuters reports:

Joining the couple for the parade will be a lesbian minister performing the ceremony and a lesbian couple, Sharon Raphael and Mina Meyer, who have been together 42 years and were legally married in California in 2008, Kenslea said.

He said the group planned to time the ceremony to be conducted at about 9:45 a.m. local time during the 15-second window during which that float is expected to pass before television cameras during the live parade broadcast.

Loots, who is originally from South Africa, and LeClair, a native of Canada, met at a Los Angeles nightclub and originally had planned for a relatively low-key wedding until the opportunity to exchange vows in the Rose Parade surfaced.

The marriage drew objections from some conservatives.

Watch an interview with the couple that aired on CNN yesterday, AFTER THE JUMP...

Couple

Comments

1. KTLA provided great coverage of the float and ceremony. NBC covered it for a few seconds, with Al Roker giving a "shout out" to the new couple. ABC cut to a commercial just as the float was coming in to view (so they did not have to show it?).

Posted by: Jim in TO | Jan 1, 2014 1:26:08 PM

2. Not only did ABC not feature the float but when coming back from commercial break the camera shot prominently featured a cross on a different float in the foreground with the wedding float in the background.
    Would like to think ABC was trying to make an inclusive positive statement but it sure didnt seem like that.

Posted by: Tim | Jan 1, 2014 1:39:20 PM

3. Thanks for giving the media another reason to drag Sarah Palin and her "moral outrage" back into the spotlight.

Posted by: crazycorgi | Jan 1, 2014 1:45:29 PM

4. I wish this couple the best but surely they can understand why I was hoping that the parade couple would be young and robust rather than middle aged.

Posted by: Enchantra | Jan 1, 2014 2:02:08 PM

5. ABC and NBC both essentially ignored the couple and the gravity of the situation occurring. I expected that, but it's still disappointing. Very disappointing.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 1, 2014 2:02:43 PM

6. Crazy honey ..... so we have to worry 24/7 what the hell that Palin skag thinks? WRONG!

Posted by: Astro Boy | Jan 1, 2014 2:08:46 PM

7. @enchantra, why? Because you regret that at your age you're not getting married?

Posted by: KevinVT | Jan 1, 2014 2:09:49 PM

8. I dunno...call me a fussy old WASP but the idea of getting married on a parade float is horrifying on so many levels, whether the couple were straight, gay, or indifferent. Good for them though. I hope some so-called conservatives were outraged.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 1, 2014 2:18:41 PM

9. The NBC coverage was almost laughable. Roker and Hoda whipped through the passing of the float with gray pains, they obviously were doing so only out of contractual reasons. Still, it was great to see the couple and the float in the Rose Parade!

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Jan 1, 2014 2:19:25 PM

10. So, to celebrate the very newly acquired marriage equality advances in AMERICA they featured a couple, one of whom is from South Africa (which has had marriage equality since 2006) and the other from Canada (that has had marriage equality nationwide since 2005)?

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 1, 2014 2:30:57 PM

11. Time to let NBC, ABC, and HGTV know what asshats they are.

Posted by: RK | Jan 1, 2014 2:37:08 PM

12. Why is the Rose Parade covered on all the major networks? They used to cover the Mummers Day parade in Philly (and probably still do), but it was hardly national.

This was a clever stunt, but how clear was it to the onlookers what was going on?

Posted by: anon | Jan 1, 2014 2:48:54 PM

13. Exactly how does marriage equality reduce the spread of HIV? Do people magically become immune on their wedding days?

Posted by: e.c. | Jan 1, 2014 3:07:25 PM

14. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10068433/How-gay-marriage-could-reduce-HIV-and-suicide.html

Posted by: Leman | Jan 1, 2014 3:42:32 PM

15. It was wonderful!! I was watching the parade on TV this morning down here in Chile (first time it's on TV here) when sudenly I saw those people standing on what looked like a cake. At first I thought they were decorations, and when they moved I thought they were performers promoting gay marriage, but then the narrator (there was someone narrating in Spanish) said that the couple had just married live in front of us and I was ecstatic!! My family (a bunch of homophobics) were disgusted, but I was cheering and clapping in my mind out of sheer happiness. All my best wishes of happiness and joy for this couple. I hope my country will quickly move towards being a better, more equal society, too. Thanks for giving me hope! BTW, I loved the parade. Congrats to the organizers and participants for all their creativity and dedication.

Posted by: Nelson Álvarez | Jan 1, 2014 3:56:46 PM

16. Hey Enchantra - Bite my 52 year old married to my 55 year old husbands asses!

Posted by: Ronny | Jan 1, 2014 4:12:35 PM

17. ECHTKULTIG - The world is a changing place. Even some Pasadena old money matrons see the fun of a wedding in the beloved Rose Parade. I went through a stuffy period and now, at age 50, if my partner asked to marry on a Rose Parade float, I would do it in a heartbeat. There is nothing wrong about celebrating love in a parade.

Posted by: John Roberts | Jan 1, 2014 4:14:41 PM

18. Leclair and Loots come across as attention-seekers. I also don't like the suggestion that being gay is the cause of AIDS. It's homophobic.

Posted by: sam | Jan 1, 2014 4:21:20 PM

19. @Sam, the cause of HIV infections is unsafe sex, not promiscuity.

But I agree that it's a bit off-base to suggest that marriage is the solution to AIDS, as if it makes people immune or something.

Posted by: KevinVT | Jan 1, 2014 4:27:34 PM

20. I think it's a terrible message that gay marriage should be celebrated like those groups do with hiv. Hiv is something to be avoided. Not glamorized like they do. Their float should have had 3 naked gays with KS bruises on crosses getting lashed by priests dressed in clownface and sorrowful drag queens weeping below them. All in plant material.

Posted by: stevetalbert | Jan 1, 2014 4:54:36 PM

21. With Gloria Gaynor I will survive blasting

Posted by: stevetalbert | Jan 1, 2014 4:55:57 PM

22. "Also, it's crazy to suggest that being married stops promiscuity, the true cause of AIDS."

Yeah...I hate to have to say this...but I must. A friend of a friend (!) works for one of the Wall St. banks and is loaded. I've met him a couple times, he definitely thinks he's all that but does very little for me. He and his husband got married a couple years ago and he told my friend recently that his sex life is better than ever. He asked what he meant..."Oh, I'm hooking up with a different hot guy every weekend. Some of them like 3 ways, my partner loves it too. I also have a place at work to do quickies during the week." No, I'm not making this up. Obviously they were more into the tax and financial benefits aspect of marriage than the monogamy part! OTOH I know a couple married gay couple I'm sure are monogamous...and a few more that are (probably) somewhere in between.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 1, 2014 4:57:31 PM

23. Is there video of the wedding? The station I was watching went to commercial as soon as the revolving LOVE cube became visible, and didn't come back until the float was completely gone. No mention was made of it at all.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 1, 2014 4:58:39 PM

24. KEVINVT,

Sex is not automatically unsafe. It is unsafe if you do it with an un-healthy partner. The choice which leads to one having sex with an unhealthy partner is determined partly by the desire for promiscuity.

Posted by: sam | Jan 1, 2014 5:48:06 PM

25. In prehistoric times, straight people also had >1000 sex partners during life. But social norms changed that.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jan 1, 2014 6:26:02 PM