Gay Marriage | Indiana | News

BigGayDeal.com

Gay Son of Indiana House Committee Chairman Who Voted for Same-Sex Marriage Ban Speaks Out

Chris_smith

Chris Smith, the gay son of Representative Milo Smith, chairman of the Elections Committee that just passed HJR-3 on to the full House, spoke out in support of the Indiana LGBT community on Facebook last night, expressing disappointment about his father's actions.

Milo_smithWrote Smith to the Indiana Equality page:

Hello everyone. I am the gay son of Representative Milo Smith, chairman of the Elections Committee that just passed HJR-3 onto the full House. I'm not here to badmouth my dad. I'm terribly disappointed in his decision and beliefs, but he's not going to change them now if he hasn't after all these years of knowing I am gay. I am here to support you and my friends who remain in Indiana. They are my extended family.

On his own page, Smith noted that his stance "puts me in clear conflict with my own father" and pointed out some press he had received because of their relationship.

One article from NUVO notes that the elder Smith failed to warn his son that he was pushing the measure:

"I'm pretty familiar with what's going on," Chris said in a telephone interview Thursday. "Over the weekend, a newspaper quoted my dad saying he believed marriage to be between a man and a woman."

His dad had not told him about HJR 3 or about the hearing or about his vote, Chris said, but "making the decision to vote for HJR 3 after having listened to all those people talk about love and family ... it boggles the mind."

And NUVO's reporter spoke with Rep. Smith after the bill was passed:

He confirmed his core belief that codifying a heterosexually exclusive definition of marriage into the constitution will protect what he sees as the proper configuration of a married partnership. As for the rest of it — the mandate that other configurations shall not be recognized — that's the part where he feels the voters should be able to cast the judgments.

I asked him if he felt Chris left the state because of strong anti-gay streams in the atmosphere. He said he didn't think so, but that I'd have to ask Chris.

Whenever he talks to Chris, the representative said, "I say 'I love you son.' And he says, 'I love you dad.'"

Comments

1. It must be difficult situations in their family. At least there is one to listen to, maybe his father should too.

Posted by: Matt27 | Jan 27, 2014 9:33:59 AM

2. well isn't that lovely - his dad thinks he's LESS THAN......if he were my dad, he'd be DEAD to Me!

Posted by: disgusted american | Jan 27, 2014 9:35:38 AM

3. "I say 'I love you son. Just not very much.'"

Posted by: Chuck LeDuc Díaz | Jan 27, 2014 9:41:42 AM

4. The son is ten times the man his father is.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Jan 27, 2014 9:42:34 AM

5. wait.... which one is the dad again?

Posted by: rob | Jan 27, 2014 9:51:19 AM

6. Keepin' it classy, Rob. Nicely done.

Posted by: Jack | Jan 27, 2014 9:55:39 AM

7. I love you, but not completely.

Posted by: Dattexas | Jan 27, 2014 9:55:40 AM

8. There are those Republican family values again

Posted by: Steve | Jan 27, 2014 9:56:20 AM

9. It must be a sickening case of "dysfunction junction" when this family gets together. Homophobic Rep. Smith, by his actions, proves himself to be a major bigot by making his gay son "less than" straight residents of Indiana. It's no wonder the son left to live elsewhere.

Posted by: HadenoughBS | Jan 27, 2014 9:58:31 AM

10. If that was my father, I would send him funeral flowers and tell him he was dead to me.

Posted by: homer | Jan 27, 2014 10:04:59 AM

11. Agreed, Homer. What benefit is there to maintaining such a relationship? None that I can see.

Posted by: Joel | Jan 27, 2014 10:12:13 AM

12. "sorry son, but I just HAVE TO not only vote for something that denies you equal rights, but I will be a coward and not discuss it with you either"

GOP Politics.

Posted by: C.J. | Jan 27, 2014 10:13:15 AM

13. Sheez. When do gay men get it through their skulls that they need to believe in themselves? Otherwise more kids will continue to get bullied and kill themselves.

If someone votes against you getting rights so you can get married, get insurance, safety etc-this person is DEAD to you. It is NOT healthy to maintain a relationship with someone who thinks you are lesser then.

Oh and before any of you say 'but you don't know how it feels', I say, YES I DO!!

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 27, 2014 10:29:19 AM

14. It's love, but on the father's side, it's not unconditional.

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 27, 2014 10:29:22 AM

15. I'm disappointed that some of you would suggest that he treats as if his father is dead. The relationship is far more complex than just that. A father is still a father no matter what. This disagreement of course strains their relationship. But the great thing about your family is that you still manage to love them despite awful things like abandonment, crimes, etc. or in this case, heartache by the son.

Posted by: Luke | Jan 27, 2014 10:46:14 AM

16. He should not treat his father as though he were dead. He should treat his father as a hypocritical, conditional loving, abusive bad parent. His father is the worst kind of enemy to his child and should be confronted and called out at each and every opportunity particularly when it will hurt, damage, and disrupt his fathers political career.

Posted by: Nigel | Jan 27, 2014 10:58:06 AM

17. Hopefully, Milo Smith will die alone, and be eaten by cats. That's what he wishes for his gay son.

Posted by: TheSeer | Jan 27, 2014 11:17:45 AM

18. Dad looks like a toe-tapper. Just saying'...

Posted by: kdknyc | Jan 27, 2014 11:23:07 AM

19. That's a pretty old picture of Milo Smith. He looks younger than his son, lol. Here's a more representative photo of the old troll:

Posted by: Rob | Jan 27, 2014 11:25:19 AM

20. Do these gay sons and daughters ever simply say: "You vote for that bill, Dad, and i won't talk to you for a year or until you renounce your support. Period." If he really loves his son, really, he will give in.

Posted by: Mark Olmsted | Jan 27, 2014 11:25:37 AM

21. He does not love his son. Not one bit. Sad.

Posted by: Mr.s Sippi | Jan 27, 2014 12:36:49 PM

22. Straight from the Sherri Shepherd school of parenting.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 27, 2014 12:37:52 PM

23. "I love you son, just not as much as I'd love you if you were straight, and not as much as many other father's love their sons who are gay."

pretty much.

I feel awful for the son, yet commend him for at least speaking out against what his father has done. Some people are who they are because of their parents, some are who they are in *spite* of their parents; this man is the latter.

But I agree with some others in here: time to take a stand, son, and remember Harvey Fierstein's blistering speech near the end of Torch Song Trilogy. It'll set you free, and it'll put your dad in his place.

Love means never passing hateful laws against your son.

Posted by: LittleKiwi | Jan 27, 2014 12:46:53 PM

24. Which child does your inhumanity ask you to sacrifice.

The gay one. The brown one. The poor one.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Jan 27, 2014 1:01:51 PM

25. @NotSafeForWork You give Sherri Shepherd far too much credit.

Posted by: JFE | Jan 27, 2014 1:06:18 PM