Disney | Film and TV | News | One Million Moms

BigGayDeal.com

‘Good Luck Charlie’ Features Disney Channel’s First Gay Couple - VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 10.49.55 AM

You probably missed it, but the Disney Channel passed a historic milestone last night with the introduction of the first openly gay characters to ever appear on the channel. The characters, a lesbian couple, were a part of the newest episode of Good Luck Charlie, which is currently on its last season.

TV Guide reports on the episode’s synopsis:

Good luck charlieIn the storyline, parents Amy and Bob Duncan (Leigh-Allyn Baker and Eric Allan Kramer) set up a playdate for preschooler Charlie (Mia Talerico) and one of her new friends. When the kid arrives, the Duncans learn that Charlie's pal has two moms. That's fine, but the potential new friendship is put to the test as one mom chats with Amy, and the other is stuck listening to Bob's dull stories.

Check out a video of the characters' nonchalant introduction, AFTER THE JUMP...

Back in June, Disney Channel announced its plan to feature the network’s first gay characters, saying:

"This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors. Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness.

Unsurprisingly, American Family Association’s One Million Moms threw a fit about the company’s plans to “corrupt the children’s network with LGBT content.” The group launched an email campaign last year and warned that if Good Luck Charlie "goes through with introducing LGBT content, then the floodgates will be opened for all programs on the Disney Channel – a trend that will be almost impossible to stop.”

One can only hope so!

Sadly, because the episode will be a part of Good Luck Charlie's final season, the characters are only expected to appear in this one episode. Reruns of the episode are expected however.

Comments

1. I'd heard it was airing and watched it. It was not so much well handled, more of: perfectly not a deal, big or otherwise. The idea of two moms was mildly addressed. It was cute.
    THis, coming off of the subtle (but not really) same sex couple in 'Frozen.' Yay, Disney!

Posted by: JimmyD | Jan 27, 2014 12:51:33 PM

2. They not just white...they're super white!

Posted by: Ankerich | Jan 27, 2014 1:06:12 PM

3. nuthin gets past you, Bob! now, take off your shirt.

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 27, 2014 1:15:49 PM

4. Hello, Daddy!

Posted by: Mona | Jan 27, 2014 1:17:29 PM

5. What MONA said! Big and dumb!

If I were advocating hate, this would leave my knickers in a twist, too.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 27, 2014 1:24:27 PM

6. Hey Bob, ditch the chicks and let's go have some fun!

Posted by: Jack M | Jan 27, 2014 1:33:04 PM

7. Such a pleasant surprise.

Posted by: Pablo | Jan 27, 2014 2:06:22 PM

8. That's progress! And I'm happy anytime the not quite One Million Moms starts foaming from the mouth.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jan 27, 2014 2:13:13 PM

9. Umm yeah, Daddy Bob!

Posted by: JWL | Jan 27, 2014 2:13:16 PM

10. Disney's been doin' the gay for a while, I'm just surprised that their audience hasn't realized it. Take the 2 screaming queens in Ally & Austin, the Dad in Dog with a Blog is definitely on the downlow, the butler in Jessie (don't ask how I know these shows). If they're not pointedly gay in the script, it doesn't mean that their behavior isn't classic "stereotype" gay. Which is disturbing, as it doesn't show a broader picture of normal gay life. But I suppose as long as they haven't labeled it at all…

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jan 27, 2014 4:46:54 PM

11. It's always easier to go with lesbians first, isn't it.

I actually think it will be a bigger deal once they have a male couple on the network, but I still recognize that this is enormous right now and super mainstream.

Posted by: GJP | Jan 27, 2014 6:26:22 PM

12. I hate good luck charlie this is innapropiate! What this is teaching kids that it is alright but its not forget Disney tru TV is for me and yes ji am a kid

Posted by: savannah price | Jan 27, 2014 7:05:26 PM

13. Me and my family have watched Disney channel for years because it was a clean environment... but after the new Good Luck Charlie came out portraying a gay couple, I am through. I have, as of now, lost faith in Disney channel. I don't believe in gay marriage and don't knowingly support gay marriage. Disney channel has differently went downhill.

Posted by: Renee | Jan 27, 2014 9:50:35 PM

14. The children don't need their minds filled with this garbage.

Posted by: Ricky | Jan 27, 2014 10:00:34 PM

15. I started crying from happiness as I watched this. I love you, Disney! Thank you so much for this.
    To all the people being very unsupportive (not even of just Disney; gay marriage in general) what if it was heterosexuality (being straight) was looked down upon? Marriage and love isn't about gender in the slightest, it's about being with someone who makes you happy. Both England and Wales will have legalized equal marriage's in March and other countries have already legalized it.
    Stop being bigots and get over it.

Posted by: Gay Girl | Jan 27, 2014 10:03:42 PM

16. Dang, proud of you, Disney. Way to go!

Posted by: Joseph | Jan 27, 2014 10:09:29 PM

17. Absolutely despicable! Farewell, Disney!!!

Posted by: Julianne Benzel | Jan 28, 2014 12:31:47 AM

18. Glad we missed it & now deleted from DVR !!! So sad it was such a funny clean family show !!! Good bye Charlie !!!! Not in my house!!!

Posted by: Cathee | Jan 28, 2014 12:49:17 AM

19. So disgusted!!! I changed the show as soon as I saw what was going on. My daughter is only 6 and I'm NOT ready to introduce that issue with her yet. Bad Disney channel!!!!!!

Posted by: Michelle | Jan 28, 2014 1:24:46 AM

20. Eric Allen Kramer is actually gay in real life. Suck on that, Michelle, Cathee, and Julianne! Guess you've been advancing the gay 'agenda' for years without realizing it.

Posted by: Mickey Mouse | Jan 28, 2014 3:08:49 AM

21. When are you coming over to eat my pussy, Cathee, Renee, and Michelle? I just gave the brats some heavy-duty sedatives. Grandpa's ass is spread wide in the basement, Ricky - we fed him corn this morning, just like you like it.

Posted by: Julianne Benzel | Jan 28, 2014 3:14:17 AM

22. My breasts are so tender and swollen, on account of "Good Luck Charlie" and all the white baby abortions! O beloved Lord... Why have you forsaken both my burgeoning titties and the Disney Channel in such a time of need?

Posted by: Ricky | Jan 28, 2014 3:55:27 AM

23. @Michelle: If your daughter is 6 and you allow her to go to school (I wouldn't assume that based on your comment), then she has already met a lot of kids with different family combinations.
    Some of her school friends are talking about going home to "Mom and Bob" or "my Mama who died and my new Mom" (you know, like the boys on The Brady Bunch) or going to visit their mother in Chattanooga on Spring Break, etc. etc. etc.
    I hear kids comparing how many mothers their friends have, and my niece was telling me recently about a TV show that "one of my grandmothers watched with me" (She considers her mother's male partner's mother to be one of her several grandmothers... and probably her father's female partner, too.). She also consider's my male partner as part of her family, and understanding our relationship was NEVER "confusing" or challenging even when she younger than your 6-year-old.
    People like you who think that it's a confusing or adult subject that some families have two women are really confused yourselves (probably because you were misinformed about a lot of topics right into adulthood.
    If your daughter has any questions, it doesn't sound like you would be the person to answer them anyway. It's okay to say that you don't understand some issues. Yo don't need to "introduce her" to anything.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 28, 2014 10:10:07 AM

24. Discraceful.

Posted by: michael K | Jan 28, 2014 10:25:40 AM

25. Why? I thought the show was about the little blonde brat, just ANOTHER reason to NOT watch the CRAP that is on Disney these days !!

Posted by: Vera K | Jan 28, 2014 10:52:52 AM