Hong Kong Billionaire Doubles $65M Bounty For Any Man Who Can Woo His Lesbian Daughter

Cecil Chao, the Hong Kong property magnate and billionaire who offered a $65 million bounty to any man that could woo and marry his lesbian daughter Gigi back in 2012, has now doubled his original offer.

The Huffington Post reports:

ChaoMore than 20,000 suitors applied for Gigi's hand in marriage the first time round according to Time, though apparently none passed muster.

But Gigi, who is a prominent gay rights activist and founding member of Hong Kong-based Big Love Alliance, says news of the latest offer has left her partner “distraught”.

Speaking to the South China Morning Press, she added: “I don’t think my dad’s offering of any amount of money would be able to attract a man I would find attractive.

On Monday, Cecil Chao told a Malaysian newspaper that he doesn’t want to interfere with his daughter’s private life, he just wants her to “have a good marriage and children as well as inherit my business.”

Comments

1. FFS says

How about you allow me to unburden you of all that disposable income, Mr. Chao, on the principle that stupid people don’t deserve to be rich and you just let your daughter live her own damn life?

How ’bout that?

2. Derrick from Philly says

This could be a great movie comedy.

And great opportunities for Asian American film actors (you see, I look out for everybody).

No, no, no. We will not have Angelina or Jessica Lawrence made up to look Asian. Those days are over, honey!

3. Strepsi says

Gigi Chao is fantastic! What a great line:
    “Alternatively, I would be happy to befriend any man willing to donate huge amounts of money to my charity, Faith In Love, provided they don’t mind that I already have a wife.”

Her dad, however should realize that a lesbian can still inherit! What an a-hole.

4. Jack M says

Don’t you remember this from last year or so? The same guy made the same offer before. Can we all now agree to ignore him completely, now and in the future?

5. Gregory In Seattle says

If she doesn’t mind that I have a husband, I would gladly donate half — oh, why not: two thirds — of the bounty to whatever charity she wishes to be supported.

6. Cadence says

John, the only problem with your idea is that she already has a wife. It’s clear that the marriage vows that she took mean a lot to her, and she isn’t going to make light of the union just to get an inheritance or make her father happy.

7. AmericanDreamer says

I travel to Hong Kong on business a lot and this story has been front page news since the beginning.

I think a big part of it is that the daughter is so beautiful.

Ironically it has gone a long way to bring attention to the gay rights that the daughter espouses

8. says

Apparently Chao hasn’t considered the possibility someone will see this as an invitation to rape his daughter, hoping that will be “good enough” to get him the money. Or that “corrective rape” actually works, and she’ll fall in love with him, dump her wife, and marry him.

You’d think that Chao wouldn’t be worried about an heir. It’s the 21st Century, where someone with that kind of money can easily pay for in vitro fertilisation for his daughter.

9. Gabe R L says

Though I’m sympathetic to the daughter I have to take exception to something she said. I’m definitely a gay man, but I find some women aesthetically attractive and occasionally am almost turned on by some. ( I hope some immature and woman-hating gay men reading this do not pass out from disgust.)A preference does not mean that you cannot find the opposite sex appealing, just that you prefer your own. After all, someone here said she was beautiful.