Kevin Hart | News

Kevin Hart Explains Why He Doesn't Do Gay Jokes Anymore

Hart

On a Reddit AMA this week, comedian Kevin Hart was asked, "You find a lot of comedy in male insecurities, including a famous bit where you express fear that your son will be gay. You praised Frank Ocean at the MTV VMAs in 2012 for having the courage to come out, and recently said in an interview that you don't do jokes any more about gays. What changed your mind on this subject of humor?"

Said Hart: "It's just a sensitive topic and I respect people of all orientations. So, it's just best left alone."

Comments

1. Smart and funny guy

Posted by: Jerry | Jan 7, 2014 7:14:17 PM

2. If only Chris Rock followed his lead. According to Rock, it's okay to call some one a f*g but never okay for non-black people to say the n word. What hypocrisy.

Posted by: bernard | Jan 7, 2014 7:33:11 PM

3. @Bernard You are so right. Let's also remember Chris Rock said it was ok for Tracy Morgan to say it is ok to stab gay people in the belly for choosing to be gay.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jan 7, 2014 7:51:22 PM

4. Good. It's a shame that it's still a "sensitive" topic...but it is - and I think he, therefore, made the right decision! All the best to him!

Posted by: Geoff | Jan 7, 2014 7:56:15 PM

5. He's a smart and talented man who has a thousand ways to be funny.

He knows the potential pain of gay jokes and doesn't need them. Good for him.

Posted by: Sean | Jan 7, 2014 8:08:13 PM

6. I saw his recent standup special not long ago and I remember being a little on edge the whole time, waiting for that gay joke to drop and someone to find it way more funny than I'm comfortable with (ya'll know what I'm talking about). The closest I think he got was something about grabbing another dude's junk, but it was hilarious. Props!!!

Posted by: Jesus | Jan 7, 2014 8:31:12 PM

7. I saw his recent standup special not long ago and I remember being a little on edge the whole time, waiting for that gay joke to drop and someone to find it way more funny than I'm comfortable with (ya'll know what I'm talking about). The closest I think he got was something about grabbing another dude's junk, but it was hilarious. Props!!!

Posted by: Jesus | Jan 7, 2014 8:31:13 PM

8. This is very much appreciated. I can't stand the anxious feeling Jesus described whenever I watch stand up comedy.

Posted by: JMC | Jan 7, 2014 8:37:58 PM

9. So there answer is...

let's not go there

Posted by: QJ201 | Jan 7, 2014 8:56:53 PM

10. I think many comedians across the board are recognizing...this issue is still a contentious one, controversial. So it's best to stay away and not ruffle any feathers.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 7, 2014 9:13:51 PM

11. Gay jokes are fine as long as they aren't mean spirited, negative and offensive. There's actually plenty of fun to be had with sexuality apart from stale antigay dbag humor. Don't want to give the impression that all gay jokes are off limits, like we're a buzzkill. But obviously Kevin Hart feels some regret for some past offensive jokes and has reconsidered how they effect the targeted. For that I applaud him.

Posted by: wes | Jan 7, 2014 10:29:46 PM

12. We NEED funny gay material. Not offensive and prejudicial, but funny, smart, clever jokes. Cutting all gay material because we or they are "sensitive" leaves us on the losing end, like being ignored on television.

Posted by: will | Jan 7, 2014 11:15:08 PM

13. Hey, real props to him. Once one sees the truth, one can't unsee, they can merely undo. Kudos to him.

Posted by: Jonna the Woodswoman | Jan 7, 2014 11:21:59 PM

14. Hart is so popular and influential that I wish he could find the same approach to gay jokes as Chris Rock. Rock manages to tell a joke with gay content that sorts out the crowd: those who agree with his humorous findings are the smart people and those who conform to the homophobia in the story he just told are the idiots he just can't understand.

When I heard a joke by Hart on Comedy 24/7 about how he will do anything to stop his son from being gay, my first thought is that perhaps some of his less intellectual listeners will follow suit, not knowing he's joking.

Glad to hear he's leaving the subject alone for now. There are jokes and there are digs: his gay humor consisted of digs and was filled in with insults.

Posted by: Steve | Jan 8, 2014 12:26:09 AM

15. I was just telling a friend that his only obvious flaw as a performer is that he tells gay jokes, succumbing (I thought) to the homophobia of the culture he performs for. This is nice, that he doesn't do them any more, but it seems that he's just being pragmatic about it, not doing it because he's had some epiphany about equality. It's hard to get behind soemone like that.

Posted by: Book | Jan 8, 2014 1:34:48 AM

16. Thanks, Kev.

Posted by: Andy | Jan 8, 2014 1:46:41 AM

17. It's OK we can take it.

Posted by: DC Insider | Jan 8, 2014 12:14:09 PM

18. WONDERFUL! I remember in the summer of 2010, after that massive rash of LGBT Youth suicides, hopping onto netflix and watching Hart's "Seriously Funny" comedy special - and within minutes, my heart utterly sank. Yup - the "If i can make sure my kid isn't gay, I will" routine.

I'm very happy with his statement, and am encouraged that this truly gifted man is using those gifts to make laughter, and no longer at the expense of struggling LGBT Youth

Well met, Mr. Hart!

for those that never saw it, the "bit" in question...

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 8, 2014 1:42:43 PM

19. Eh, I'm not offended. Have you heard Lisa Lampanelli or Loius CK's jokes/stand up? VERY FUNNY and yeah, some jokes in there about the mo's. So what. But I guess if it is not your cup of tea, I can respect that.

Posted by: Bostonbeat | Jan 9, 2014 10:10:54 PM