Ellen DeGeneres | Macklemore | Music | Ryan Lewis

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis Dish with Ellen on Grammys, Relationships, Success: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 12.32.48 PM

Fresh off their four Grammy wins, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis dropped by Ellen to discuss their success, relationships, and who they’re rooting for in the upcoming Super Bowl.

The duo also chatted about the mass wedding ceremony that took place during their Grammy performance of the gay rights anthem “Same Love.” Lewis’s sister and her boyfriend were one of the 34 couples who tied the knot on Sunday.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. I was really disappointed in the backlash from their success on Sunday. It seemed some vocal critics from the LGBT community discounted the duos contribution - "we don't need white male activists," that sort of thing. I think that's patently absurd, considering how important allies have been. And it completely discounts them as both artists and citizens.

I also saw plenty of guff about a white rapper winning in the rapping category. I'm no expert (the only other rap album I own is The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill; I admit my ignorance). Overall, this also left a bad taste in my mouth.

Posted by: Mikey | Jan 28, 2014 2:10:39 PM

2. I don't care what people say, Macklemore is hot.

Posted by: Brandon h | Jan 28, 2014 2:17:48 PM

3. Life is good! (and they rock)

Posted by: michael | Jan 28, 2014 2:33:45 PM

4. Mikey: Yes the rap comittee didn't want to nominate them in the rap cathogories because they are too mainstream (wich is a curious thing for people who are in an independent label).
    By the same logic Eminem or Jay Z couldn't be nominated either.
    I think the problem is exactly the opposite, they didn't come from the mainstream and their lyrics are not what a rapper is supposed to rap (wich nowadays basically is reduced to women, inderogatory ways of course, and money).
    There's always a thing with white rappers, or people who doesn't come from the streets, but curiously rap mainstream seems to totally support Drake wich is blander than bland

Posted by: jjose712 | Jan 28, 2014 2:52:19 PM

5. The Grammys have been giving awards to homophobic rappers and hip-hop performers for years. It won't change. The marriages are not going to make the music industry more accepting of openly gay male performers.

Openly gay American male performers are as rare as hen's teeth. They don't get signed. They don't get awards. We're dealing with a very homophobic industry - which is much more homophobic towards males than females - whose aim is to eliminate us from the possibilities of commercial success.

I feel that Macklermore served as a distraction which is not going to improve things at all for openly gay male performers.

Posted by: san | Jan 28, 2014 2:59:46 PM

6. "Openly gay American male performers are as rare as hen's teeth. They don't get signed. They don't get awards.

Vampire Weekend.

Now go away, San (sp?). LOL

Posted by: crispy | Jan 28, 2014 3:06:17 PM

7. It seems entirely lost of those attacking Mack and Ryan that the Grammy's exist for one reason: to support the music industry.

The music industry exists to make money.

Mack and Ryan are making tons of money for that industry with what is perceived as positive messaging.

Anything else is naive.

Posted by: Jonnycakes | Jan 28, 2014 3:09:05 PM

8. Ryan Lewis is the epitome of husband material.

Posted by: bernard | Jan 28, 2014 3:16:16 PM

9. I think Ryan is the hotter of the two. . . . But, more important, for two chaps who just won four Grammy Awards, they seem very grounded and humble -- particularly along side of Ellen, whom I love, and who Madona called to wish a happy birthday.

Posted by: Ken | Jan 28, 2014 3:23:39 PM

10. Yeah, without Allies (you know, folks that aren't LGBTQQI then we're just a bunch of self-serving folks squawking about our 'rights' to folks who don't give to cents for our opinions.

Allies have always been a big part of the Education of The American Populace.

'Look, no dog in this show, no pony in this race but I see this as a good thing to do.' actually has weight.

He wrote the number one song of 2013 and just happens to be very interested in our equality, how is that a bad thing?

Posted by: MuchMuchMunching | Jan 28, 2014 3:56:37 PM

11. Just a reminder: the song that we're supposed to fall all over ourselves with gratitude is about Macklemore thinking he was gay because he could draw. Silly rap music being all dense and full of lyrics, I'm sure that detail flew past some of y'all.

Posted by: Tom Bardwell | Jan 28, 2014 3:57:01 PM

12. @TOM BARDWELL
    Gurl dont be a hater bcause they don't rap about b*tches and gettin rich or die tryin'. Because that's not silly at all aight?

Posted by: Felix | Jan 28, 2014 4:12:17 PM

13. Macklemore and Ryan Lewis come across as closet cases. How can they be good for the GLBT community if they are hiding their sexuality?

Maybe they don't want to come out because it will cost them money. They've seen what happened to Ricky Martin and George Michael - as soon as these performers came out, gay men stopped buying their songs.

Posted by: jason | Jan 28, 2014 4:15:51 PM

14. @felix

I knew that I would be coming back here to check somebody for making stereotypes about rap music being all about "B*tches" and label me a "hater". Slow clap for you proving my point by being the first.

Take very good care of yourself, "gurl".

Posted by: Tom Bardwell | Jan 28, 2014 4:17:38 PM

15. Glad to help you reap what you sow ;)

Posted by: Felix | Jan 28, 2014 4:25:46 PM

16. @TOM BARDWELL

Some of the lyrics that follow the line about thinking he's gay because he could draw are: "a bunch of stereotypes in my head" and "a preconceived notion of what it all meant" which i think implies the artist's evolution on the issue since the third grade...

Posted by: Joseph | Jan 28, 2014 4:30:02 PM

17. Jonnycakes, Macklemore is independent. He has refused multiple offers for a contract with a label. So the money he makes is for himself and his team. The "industry" - the major record labels - lose when he wins.

I doubt that it was a marketing ploy to do a rap song about gay marriage which begins with him recalling how he doubted his own sexuality. He actually risked his popularity and his revenue stream with this song. He could easily have stuck with stuff like Thrift Shop and done just fine.

Posted by: Bob | Jan 28, 2014 4:30:39 PM

18. Wait, Tom, you can't be serious with the "because I could draw" comment, are you? He says he thought that when he was in the third freakin' grade, and then says it was because his head was full of wrong stereotypes. You're the one not listening to the lyrics, a-hole.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 28, 2014 4:46:57 PM

19. Only a few hours left before time runs out on the quicky no-fault Nevada divorces that some of these 34 couples are no doubt contemplating.

Posted by: anon | Jan 28, 2014 4:48:21 PM

20. Or, what Joseph said. Sorry, that post came in while I was writing.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 28, 2014 4:48:54 PM

21. Exactly BOB.

Posted by: Rowan | Jan 28, 2014 4:53:40 PM

22. "Macklemore and Ryan Lewis come across as closet cases."

No, they don't.

Posted by: EchtKultig | Jan 28, 2014 5:10:05 PM

23. @Glenn

I preferred what Joseph said because he didn't end his comment with something mean.

To push further, I am glad this thread has made folks google the lyrics to the song even if it was just to prove me wrong. I hope that folks give other artists (in rap/hip hop, by black and brown folks) the same courtesy and be open to learning that not every song is homophobic.

A stereotype that Macklemore reinforces in his song, should you take a closer read.

Posted by: Tom Bardwell | Jan 28, 2014 5:10:31 PM

24. @TOM BARDWELL

Yes, I've been aware of the lyrics all along, and yes, the song says that he once thought he was gay because he could draw, but that's NOT "what the song is about." The song is about stereotypes and the prejudices that lead from those stereotypes. Thinking that artists are gay is just an example of those stereotypes. The song goes on to say that stereotypes make people treat members of other groups of people differently, but that's wrong because we're all the same inside. It's only fear of the unknown that causes this prejudice. All of this and more is in the song, so I think that your criticism on this point is unwarranted.

I didn't hear anything in the song that suggests that all rap/hip-hop songs are homophobic, but a lot of fans of those types of music are homophobic (by no means all, but it is significant). It would be hard to deny that the hip-hop community is homophobic in general.

Posted by: Neil | Jan 28, 2014 5:36:02 PM

25. Well, Tom, I sincerely apologize for being mean to you. I didn't think for a minute that someone who would come on here and condescendingly suggest that no one here had ever listened to the lyrics or knew anything about rap would be such a delicate flower and would be so deeply hurt by an uncivil comment. I am deeply chastened and will try to do better in the future.

Posted by: Glenn | Jan 28, 2014 6:04:29 PM