Gay Marriage | Mississippi | News

Mississippi GOP Rep. Steve Palazzo Launches Anti-Gay Facebook Campaign in Response to Grammys

Palazzo

Rep. Steve Palazzo (R-MS) launched a social media campaign on Facebook yesterday in response to the mass wedding at the Grammys, using the image above.

Writes Palazzo:Steve_palazzo

"Unfortunately, Hollywood doesn't value the same conservative beliefs we do in Mississippi. Last night's demonstration at the #Grammys is a perfect example of their disconnect."

Comments

1. What a nice to way to dump on those beautiful women's happy day.

Posted by: MrRoboto | Jan 28, 2014 12:42:43 PM

2. Another "toe-tapping" Republican.

Posted by: Sam | Jan 28, 2014 12:43:50 PM

3. Deleting Facebook comments he doesn't agree with will probably take up a lot of his tone in the near future. I hope he enjoys his new hobby.

Posted by: Travis | Jan 28, 2014 12:45:49 PM

4. I didn't think manly straight men watched the grammys---oh, wait. Just saw his photo.

Posted by: kdknyc | Jan 28, 2014 12:47:46 PM

5. I may be mistaken as I'm Canadian....but.... doesn't Mississippi have a rather sordid history of being terminally behind the times in terms of social progress and embracing basic concepts of Equality? ;-)

i think i remember Nina Simone singing a song about it at some point...

And he couldn't have picked a lovelier photo to choose to be angry about! LOL!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 28, 2014 12:50:44 PM

6. Couldn't those ladies sue him for using their images in a disparaging political campaign?

Posted by: Gregoire | Jan 28, 2014 12:53:03 PM

7. I would say "fortunately, most people do not value the bigoted beliefs espoused by bigoted Mississippi Republican representatives".

Posted by: Rich | Jan 28, 2014 1:03:36 PM

8. Of course the irony here is that it is Mississippi and Rep. Palazzo that are disconnected from the real world. And just as those who selectively use passages from "the good book" as a shield for their hate, he uses fails to acknowledge that straight couples were also married at the same time.

Posted by: Basic Logic | Jan 28, 2014 1:03:50 PM

9. "Palazzo also enjoys deleting the Facebook comments of those who disagree with his bigoted views."

The un-deletable internet is coming. It will change everything.

Posted by: Randy | Jan 28, 2014 1:07:33 PM

10. Truth be told, when I heard about Macklemore's Mass Gay Grammy wedding, I rolled my eyes. That kind of stunt queen BS is annoying to me. But I gotta say, seeing how many bigot panties are in a bunch over it, I'd say it was time well spent.

Posted by: Joe M | Jan 28, 2014 1:08:04 PM

11. like & share if you like and would like to share that photo?

Posted by: Glenn I | Jan 28, 2014 1:09:05 PM

12. The real irony here is that MS is typically at or near the top of the list for out of wedlock births. Too bad their conservative beliefs aren't echoed by their behavior. It would seem that MS problem isn't too much marriage, but not nearly enough.

Posted by: Leo88 | Jan 28, 2014 1:10:55 PM

13. He is right about one thing... Hollywood does not share mississsippi's hickville values...

Posted by: adamth | Jan 28, 2014 1:42:36 PM

14. He appears to have taken it down

Posted by: William | Jan 28, 2014 1:46:51 PM

15. Starkville MS - home of Mississippi State University - does not share Palazzo's values. Seems like I recall Starkville recently passed a non-discrimination ordinance.

Posted by: adamth | Jan 28, 2014 1:48:57 PM

16. Well, get over your hateful self.
    I've been a GAY AMERICAN for almost 70 years and I've never backed down to a bigot and I'm not about to start now.
    You were born with rights we're just beginning to get after decades of fighting, living in the shadows, being beaten and killed because we wanted nothing more than to be left alone and to live our lives as we see fit.
    If you cannot accept the fact that we're just as deserving as you then perhaps it's time for you to pack up and find a country more in keeping with your "values". There're a few I can think of where your skewed sense of superiority would fit right in.

Posted by: Jerry Callender | Jan 28, 2014 1:49:27 PM

17. Another southern, redneck, wingnut Republican moron.

Posted by: Don | Jan 28, 2014 2:14:09 PM

18. What's with his name graphic? Is he a congressman or a motel in Reno?

Posted by: JJ | Jan 28, 2014 2:19:51 PM

19. It's true: Hollywood doesn't have the same values as Mississippi has. There's never been a lynching in Hollywood.

Posted by: Jim | Jan 28, 2014 2:23:27 PM

20. Gregoire: You are correct. There is a copyright owner of that image somewhere and I bet they will be in touch. Its not uncommon for bigots who stomp on other people's civil rights to also not honor intellectual property rights ("knowing" copyright infringement is a crime in the US). Hope they follow up.

Posted by: Turing's Ghost | Jan 28, 2014 2:28:13 PM

21. I went to his facebook page and posted, "I'm a Mississippian and the "values" I don't share with you are homophobia, racism and other forms of bigotry that have ruled our state for far too long. I'm working for a better Mississippi where we don't define ourselves by who we hate. I'm working for a better Mississippi where we value education and diversity and shun ignorance and bigotry; rather than the other way around. And I'll be working to create a Mississippi that will refuse to elect bigots like you to represent us."

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 28, 2014 2:30:35 PM

22. I was born in Mississippi and return there at least once a year to visit my family, all of whom are very conservative and very religious. However, they are all, without exception, very sweet, very loving folks and no one has ever said anything negative to me about my being gay. Then again, it's never a topic of conversation and no one ever asks me personal questions about my life. It's as if I'm from another planet and am there just to observe...and participate, but as something of an outsider.

As for the state itself, I'm always happy to leave it. There is still a huge racial divide there, so much poverty and proud ignorance, and the political climate has always been poisoned with hatred of anyone who is different. I blame ALL of it on the Southern Baptist churches which continue to use the Bible as a weapon and an excuse for intolerance and bigotry.

Posted by: Bryan L | Jan 28, 2014 2:53:28 PM

23. Palazzo is the same guy who got lambasted for voting against funding for Hurricane Sandy relief 2 months after the storm while previously voting for the same funding for his own district 5 years after Katrina. So... y'know, classy guy who really cares about people.

Posted by: Matt | Jan 28, 2014 2:56:42 PM

24. I assume he's talking about that BS wedding that occurred on ABC Sunday night. I fear that children will watch that and think it's okay to date 24 women at once just to marry the least annoying one.

Posted by: Craig | Jan 28, 2014 3:10:56 PM

25. @joe m. same. i called it corny and patronizing, but I'm really enjoying the exploding heads of regressives about it.

Posted by: jaker | Jan 28, 2014 3:59:54 PM