News: Sean Hayes, Mars, Queen Latifah, Sochi, Abercrombie

RoadNY judge alarms gay parents by finding marriage law negates need for adoption.

JellydoughnutRoadScientist Rhawn Joseph is suing NASA, saying the agency is failing to investigate alien life on Mars: "The jelly doughnut-shaped rock initially baffled scientists after it mysteriously showed up in images taken less than two weeks apart...Joseph, a key writer with the online Journal of Cosmology, says the rock is 'a living thing' and has now filed a lawsuit in a California court to make NASA examine it more closely."

RoadBehold, the winning GIF from the State of the Union address.

RoadAbercrombie strips CEO Mike Jeffries of his role as Chairman: "Jeffries has served as chairman since 1996. He will remain a director and the CEO of the company.  Abercrombie's stock rose 2% on the news in premarket trading."

RoadQueen Latifah to sing "America the Beautiful" at Super Bowl. "The pregame show also include the singing of the National Anthem, which this year will be performed by opera singer Renee Fleming. Amber Zion will perform in American Sign Language the National Anthem. This year's halftime show will be headlined by Bruno Mars -- a winner at Sunday's Grammys -- who will be joined by the Red Hot Chili Peppers."

RoadIt's Tom Hiddleston's shirtless Thor screen test.

RoadCourtney Love launched her own YouTube channel.

S_hayesRoadNBC cancels Sean Saves the World: "The show had received a 5-episode back order for a total of 18. Fourteen episodes have been shot, 12 have aired. NBC had already scheduled an SNL Sports Spectacular special this week, preempting its Thursday lineup, and the network brass will look at the remaining two Sean segments after the Winter Olympics."

RoadWoman sues employer in West Hartford, CT over refusing to provide health insurance to her wife.

RoadGeorge Clooney on playing a dog on South Park: "Sparky the gay dog? It was sort of a surprise for me. I mean, here’s something odd, I had never played a dog before. To finally play Sparky the dog was something that I think pretty much completed my career."

RoadAndy Cohen has gets his Starbucks buzz and his song on.

RoadRobert Pattinson and Guy Pearce face off in The Rover.

MayakRoad20 photos from Sochi's biggest gay club, and 10 photos of Sochi in general.

"RoadEx-gay" Richard Cohen plans major "gay cure" conference in Mexico.

RoadRight-wing radio host Erik Rush calls pundit Sally Kohn an "obnoxious, maladjusted lesbian" pushing society toward a violent breakdown.

ERoadllen DeGeneres's lesbian-themed comedy pilot gets an order from NBC: "One Big Happy centers on a lesbian who gets pregnant just as her straight male best friend meets and marries the love of his life."

RoadAl Jazeera: Mexico's gay rights movement gaining ground. "This is a wave. Soon it will be unstoppable. All we're asking for is equal rights and this is going to happen in all of Mexico," de la O told Al Jazeera. "Jalisco was considered one of the states where it would be most difficult to achieve this - well, now we've done it. This should inspire all the couples in other states who are fighting for equality."

Comments

1. I liked "Sean Saves the World". Guess I was the only one.

Posted by: Adam | Jan 29, 2014 4:38:47 PM

2. I'm from Jalisco, born in Guadalajara, and this news makes me immensely proud.

Posted by: bernard | Jan 29, 2014 6:10:33 PM

3. Ellen De Generes is disgusting. Her new sitcom is an insult to lesbians and simply panders to the sleazy straight guy fantasy. I hope it flops miserably in the ratings.

I've always suspected Ellen to be a fake. Look at the number of homophobic rappers and singers she's had on her show.

Posted by: jason | Jan 29, 2014 6:17:41 PM

4. Sean Saves The World is the disaster that unfolds when you have liberals trying to make shows which portray gay men as best friends of women. It is a tired old stereotype based on pandering and "being cute" to women.

Posted by: sam | Jan 29, 2014 6:33:06 PM

5. The "laugh-track" sitcom era has been over for a while now and "Sean Saves the World" was one of the worst offenders. People don't need to be told when to laugh anymore. Well written shows (Modern Family, Parks and Rec) can rely on witty dialog to drive the comedy, not forced fake studio laughter. Now NBC is going for the third gay themed show (The New Normal last year and Ellen's One Big Happy next year) in as many years that won't make it through one season. But at least we get to hear "one million moms" complain, then claim victory for a third straight season.

Posted by: Craig | Jan 29, 2014 6:44:39 PM

6. @Jason: I'm really confused. After your second sentence, I assumed you were psychic. Since the pilot hasn't been written or shot, being psychic is the only explanation of how you know this show is an "insult to lesbians and simply panders to the sleazy straight guy fantasy".

Yet, then you write, "I hope it flops miserably in the ratings". Being the psychic that you must be, shouldn't you know if the show will be a hit?

Posted by: alex | Jan 29, 2014 8:00:53 PM

7. "I yearn for a show where the gay guy is absolutely nasty and revolting towards women."

Yes, Jason, based on all your revolting comments here over the years, I'm sure you do. Every gay man I know has friends of both sexes. Your inability to interact in a healthy way with virtually any type of person makes you an anomaly.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 29, 2014 9:22:11 PM

8. You can look at that State of the Union gif and see why Obama and company were seriously thinking of getting rid of Uncle Cletus there in 2012.

Posted by: MIke | Jan 29, 2014 9:31:57 PM

9. Right Sam. The show that Hayes was on before, Will and Grace, about a gay man and straight woman who were best friends, and Will's best gay friend was also friends with Grace, was such a total disaster? I guess it couldn't have gotten 83 nominations and 16 Emmys, been on for eight years, commonly in the top 10 in its three top years, and getting 18 million viewers for its final episode.

Posted by: emjayay | Jan 29, 2014 10:56:08 PM

10. Anyone familiar with "Jason's" commenting history knows he's the expert when it comes to insult lesbians.

As for "Sam," nobody wants to watch a TV show about your sad, emotionally stunted life.

Posted by: FFS | Jan 30, 2014 1:03:27 AM

11. Um, Craig, the laugh track era is FAR from over. Of the four sitcoms that were in the top 10 last week -- Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls -- only Modern Family doesn't feature a studio audience/laugh track.

A laugh track doesn't "tell me when I need to laugh" -- I laugh if I think it's funny.

Posted by: Joseph | Jan 30, 2014 1:18:13 AM

12. Crap...Sean Saves the World was one of two NBC shows I actually watch. Now I really have no reason to watch NBC at all.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 30, 2014 4:29:47 AM

13. I liked Sean Saves the World. And I do not like laugh tracks at all. I wish they were 'over' but I don't see that crutch going away anytime soon.

And of those "hit shows" listed above, I can only bear to watch one... Modern Family; no laugh track.

Just b/c TV is popular in the US doesn't mean it's worthwhile... at all.

Posted by: pete n sfo | Jan 30, 2014 9:34:08 AM

14. "Anyone familiar with Jason..."
    "As for Sam..."

@FFS: "Jason" and "Sam" are the same person. He/she used to post as "Jason" but over the past year or so started posting with a variety of names.

Posted by: GregV | Jan 30, 2014 9:47:22 AM

15. Jason and Sam, sit down and shut up.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 30, 2014 11:56:56 AM

16. I'm disappointed about "Sean".

It's starting to get it's footing and embrace some of the absurd comedy that it's been toying with since the start. More importantly, it's wonderful seeing Linda Lavin regularly on TV again and the chemistry she has with everybody reminds me why I obsessively watched "Alice" for years as a kid. She's pretty great.

Posted by: Rey | Jan 30, 2014 11:57:06 AM

17. @GregV: Yeah, I know. That's why I've started putting all of the known aliases in quotes when I respond to their wingbattery.

Posted by: FFS | Jan 30, 2014 9:50:31 PM

18. Pffft. That Martian "life" is clearly just a burger wrapper dropped by a careless technician on the Capricorn set.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Jan 31, 2014 11:21:01 AM