Nigerian Woman Disowns Gay Cat

According to the Nigerian newspaper Leadership, an unnamed woman in Lafia, Nasarawa determined that her cat was gay due to his attempts to mount other male cats despite the availability of females. While possible that she had a fey feline, cats will mount other males to assert dominance much like dogs do and is not sexual in nature.

CatRegardless, the woman said that he was engaged in "unnatural sexual behavior" that was "a contradiction of the laws of nature." Yes, a cat behaving naturally was unnatural.

She also offered the cat up to give away, saying, “Anybody interested in this gay cat can have it because I have no further use of it.”

When writers for Leadership showed up to investigate, the locals were reported to be cracking jokes about it.

Comments

1. Jay says

Poor guy…. He is so cute!!! I will take him, even though I have enough cats, just to get him away from that monster.

2. JackFknTwist says

Huh ?
    So even when homosexuality is common in nature it is still ‘unnatural’ ?

I’m getting down my bible; what does Jesus say ?

3. Martin says

The level of ignorance is appalling!

That said, there are ignorant people all over the world, not just in Nigeria.

4. the righteous sword says

I’ll posit the question. By any yardstick, are we obligated to save or assist so stupid and ignorant a culture?

5. CatLick says

By repeating the following without context: “cats will mount other males to assert dominance much like dogs do and is not sexual in nature,” you are perpetuating decades of heteronormative bias in scientific research.

In “Biological Exhuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity,” Bruce Bagemihl examined hundreds of published studies about animal behavior and found that scientists repeatedly re-framed observed same-sex behaviors between animals as dominance-based, stress-based, play, non-sexual, and so on. Anything but homosexual, Zeus forbid. Bagemihl re-framed these behaviors right back and simply found that there is homosexual behavior in courting, mating, pair-bonding, and raising of offspring, in the animal kingdom.

In other words, Fluffy here could very well be gay.

6. says

I am very surprised she hasn’t already been accused of witchcraft just for having a cat anywhere around anyway. She’s probably worried about being burned at the stake, stoned to death or stripped naked in public and then drowned.

7. Tadpolicus Wex says

Someone ought to euthanize the wretched creature, the cat however deserves a loving home.

8. houndstooth says

Nigeria would be a total LAUGHING STOCK if it weren’t such a deplorable cesspool filled with pridefully stupid monsters that like to think of themselves as moral humans.

9. Fox says

@Charles – The traditional “use” for domesticated cats was to keep various forms of vermin out of homes and barns. I’m guessing they still have that problem in a place like Nigeria.

10. Frank says

‘What exactly are the uses of a cat?’
    The primary use for a cat is to keep his or her owner from taking himself or herself too seriously. Poor gay cat failed in his mission.

11. Christopher King says

It’s nice to see that I’m not the only person on this site who feels it’s high time to just walk away from some of these useless money sucking cesspools and let them die out as both a culture and a country

12. redball says

SOME OF YOU are pushing it, but I’m glad to see a relative lack of racism on this post. I’m Nigerian American.