News | Opera | Renee Fleming | Super Bowl

Opera Diva Renee Fleming Set To Belt The National Anthem At This Year's Super Bowl

Reneefleming

She's made a name for herself as one of the foremost American opera divas, and she's even sung the Top 10 on David Letterman. Now, Renee Fleming is taking (perhaps) her biggest stage yet. The clear-voiced soprano is set to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner" at this year's Super Bowl XLVIII, the first time an opera singer will take on the task, and her rendition is sure to impress.

CBS Sports reports:

This won't be the first time Fleming's performed at a big event. The 54-year-old opera singer also performed at President Obama's first Inaugural celebration in 2009 and at Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee in June 2012.

Fleming joins a diverse group of people that have handled the national anthem at the Super Bowl, including: Alicia Keys, Kelly Clarkson, Billy Joel, Mariah Carey and the Backstreet Boys.

Here's hoping that sports fans across the country will embrace her on February 2nd.

Comments

1. I hope she does better than in 2003, when she forgot some of the lyrics to that horrible song before a Yankees World Series game.

"Here's hoping that sports fans across the country will embrace her on February 2nd"

If she sings it well, they will. If she sucks like Stephen Tyler did at the Indy 500, they won't.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 22, 2014 9:46:21 PM

2. Renée Fleming went to the same music school I did for her undergrad, and I had the pleasure to see her in concert there when I was in school, long after she had become famous. She's not my favorite opera singer but her technique is flawless and she sounds identical in concert to her studio recordings, which is always impressive.

She's also a lovely, gracious person and I'm happy for her that she's been chosen to sing at the super bowl.

Posted by: Zell | Jan 22, 2014 11:54:21 PM

3. How can one not like her? Even if you're a hard core rocker, belting out those notes is sure enough to stop anyone in their tracks.

Posted by: zeddy | Jan 23, 2014 12:34:36 AM

4. Renée Fleming does not belt! Broadway singers belt.

Posted by: Orgelspeiler, DMA | Jan 23, 2014 2:04:23 AM

5. @ORGELSPEILER

Can you elaborate on "belt," please? I don't understand the difference.

Posted by: Nat | Jan 23, 2014 2:36:28 AM

6. This should be awesome!

Posted by: JMC | Jan 23, 2014 3:30:43 AM

7. My fave so far was Mariah Carey. Opera singer training, RnB diva delivery

Posted by: Tristram | Jan 23, 2014 7:14:27 AM

8. Zell, did you attend the Crane School of Music? I know Ms. Fleming attended there for a while. I currently live in Potsdam. We are all excited to hear Ms. Fleming sing. Now if I just knew who was playing at this little ball game that will be after Ms. Fleming's concert......

Posted by: Mark | Jan 23, 2014 7:52:05 AM

9. I wish they'd give her half-time. In my dreams she'd come out as Madonna as Cleopatra entering Rome. But as it is, I guess we can all listen to the anthem and then head to IKEA.

Posted by: MIke | Jan 23, 2014 8:11:41 AM

10. Mark, I did go to Crane.

And for Nat, "belting" generally involves a woman singing in her chest register loudly and generally higher than usual. Think Whitney Houston singing the climax of "I Will Always Love You." The opposite, generally used by singers with classical training, is head voice, a much prettier sound in my opinion. It's a bit more complicated than that but that's a basic explanation. Belting sounds more powerful (though it doesn't carry as well) and can lead to vocal problems if overdone.

Posted by: Zell | Jan 23, 2014 8:58:16 AM

11. Trained classical vocal musicians, including opera singers, do NOT belt.

Just for the record :)

Posted by: John Becker | Jan 23, 2014 10:15:32 AM

12. Pat Benatar also was training to be an opera singer before she turned to hard rock.

I'm a huge fan of the operas of Schreker, Korngold, Zemlinksy, Braunfels etc., that lush late romantic stuff written in the first couple decades of the 20th century. Fleming would have been a *perfect* Marie in "Die Tote Stadt", a perfect Els in "Der Schatzgraber" etc. it's a pity she wasted her time on bel canto stuff instead.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 23, 2014 10:27:11 AM

13. Pat Benatar also was training to be an opera singer before she turned to hard rock.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 23, 2014 10:27:17 AM

14. I just wonder what it's going to be like for her, singing in the anticipated frigid cold. Who the hell thought it was a good idea to have the Super Bowl in an open stadium?

Posted by: Seattle Mike | Jan 23, 2014 11:51:16 AM

15. Donna Summer also had classical training, I believe.

Renée is a class act, all the way around, and I agree that it would be great to see her in a halftime show. She has a pretty broad public for her singing so I'm sure she'll be a crowd pleaser. I personally could listen to her sing anything (as previously said, she has flawless technique. And warmth).

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Jan 23, 2014 2:13:20 PM

16. she used to come into the restaurant i used to work at. class act. sincerely.

Posted by: jaker | Jan 23, 2014 6:11:46 PM

17. Seattle Mike, you mean like the crappy weather that visiting teams have to deal with when they play the Seahawks? :-)

The NFL is trying the NJ experiment so that they can see if its viable to expand the number of places that they can hold the game. It's pretty much limited now to FL, New Orleans (which had a power failure the last time it was held there), Phoenix and (in a few years at the new 49ers stadium) the Bay Area, they'd love to be able to go to places like Soldier Field.

The new Vikings stadium will have a fixed roof but they don't like going to places like MN because the big rollers that spend tons of money usually show up on Saturday and leave Monday morning, not spend their money at the location for a week or more.

Posted by: Henry Holland | Jan 23, 2014 6:40:30 PM