Comments

1. Chris says

Did ABC make mention of the fact that the line between “protest and propaganda” doesn’t exist?

I don’t think I have ever hated a politician as much as I hate him. I’m sure some of it is because my Grandmother was born in The Russian Empire and hates her country. But Putin really is vile.

2. Charles says

Other countries are not hosting a major celebration of internationalism and global unity. The Olympics represents EVERYTHING that is not ‘our culture’. You think we’d let the Saudis host the Olympics and ban women from attending?

Sorry but I hope and pray that this Olympics is an embarrassing fiasco.

3. andrew says

While all the horror stories of Russian homophobia may indeed be true. Russia is a beacon of safety and moderation for LGBT people when compared to the great majority of Middle Eastern and African Nations. Russia just happens to be the big ugly house in a nice neighborhood (Europe).

4. says

I’ve read Russian transcripts from this press conference, and there’s a lot more to object to.

I’m glad George commented that he’s WRONG about homosexuality being criminalized in “several US states — Texas, for example,” which he keeps repeating and repeating. Homosexual acts are not a criminal offense in any US state since 2003.

He also doesn’t recognize the usual designation of the law as “Mizulina’s law” and claims that it’s a law “against propaganda of pedophilia and homosexualism.”

Pedophilia is NOT MENTIONED in the law.
    And “homosexualism” was deleted in order to make out that the law is not anti-gay. Instead it’s against “propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations.”

Putin also claims that in several countries in Europe there is a valid movement WITHIN THE GOVERNMENTS to legalize pedophilia. He repeats this again and again too, and it’s a major feature of Russian anti-European propaganda.

In Germany (one program claimed) 38,000 children were taken away from straight parents and given to gay couples.

This is only the tip of Putin’s propaganda iceberg.

5. Artie_in_Lauderdale says

The remaining sodomy laws in certain U.S. states are examples of “dead letters,” which refer to laws that have not been revoked, but are not longer enforceable because federal laws, the U.S. Supreme Court or amendments to the U.S. Constitution have struck those laws down. Other examples of dead letters are the Jim Crow laws which remained on the books in Southern states long after the 1964 Civil Rights Act.

6. JackFknTwist says

This fascist is deliberately obtuse and calculatingly malevolent.

@ DAVID : I totally agree with you; Putin is a thug; he is direct line of descent from the Thirties anti Semitic thugs of the Weimar Republic.
    He deliberately conflates paedophilia [ mostly hetro } with being gay.
    He manipulates the public orthodox opinion and combines it with a stirred up Russian Nationalism……with hatred of the west.
    He is a bully and a thug.

7. FFS says

Um, yeah. Actually, that’s exactly what it means.

I agree that America needs to get its own phucking house in order, tho. I cannot believe that all those red state mouth-breathers who jump at the chance to climb up on the cross and wrap themselves in the flag aren’t bothered by the fact that this a-hole is making us look like a nation of chumps.