News | Sherri Shepherd

Sherri Shepherd Doesn't Agree with Your Sinful Gay 'Lifestyle' But She'll Join You for a Drink: VIDEO

Shepard

Earlier this week, View co-host Sherri Shepherd sat down with Fusion's Alicia Menendez to try to clear up some of the misconceptions people have about her.

Said Shepherd:

"I think people feel I'm very judgemental. I think people feel I'm very homophobic. If they knew me, and knew my heart... You grow up being a Christian and you grow up believing homosexuality is a sin; you're going to hell if you're a homosexual. This is something that they teach in churches. So literally it is something that I grew up believing...I may not not agree with your lifestyle, but I love you. As you may not agree with my lifestyle, but you love me ..."

She added:

"I don't say [being gay is] a choice. If you tell me, 'Sherri, I was born gay.' Okay. I'm not gonna argue with you, because I can't tell you how you feel and what's going on inside. I'm trying to make it up to heaven by the skin of my teeth ... So if you tell me you're born [gay], I'm not going to argue with you. And I absolutely respect you for that. I just ask that people respect how I feel, and [I] respect how you feel and we can have a great dialogue. And afterward, let's go get a drink."

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. Sherri, I think your race is wrong and a curse from God, but I love you, the person.
    I believe -like many white evangelicals- that God cursed all the descendants of SHEM (the black races) but that doesn't mean that I don't love you, I do. I love you and feel such sorrow that you will be condemned to hell. But know that in my heart that I truly love and respect you for having the human form that you have.

Posted by: Dan Cobb | Jan 18, 2014 1:17:41 PM

2. Lisa Lampanelli gave it to her good on Twitter a couple years ago. She said that she was going to call abortions "Sherri Shepherds" from now on.

Posted by: Chris | Jan 18, 2014 1:20:51 PM

3. Sherri Shephard is what is wrong about supposed "Christianity" today.

She's earned zero of my respect from her strongly held hate belief that my sexual orientation makes me somehow inferior. People like Sherri Shephard repulse me.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jan 18, 2014 1:25:36 PM

4. Well said, Dan Cobb, well said... So weary of people using the Bible selectively to justify their prejudice.

Posted by: Pitt90 | Jan 18, 2014 1:25:38 PM

5. Sherrie just because you "believe the world is flat" I still love you and would have a drink with you. However, I wouldn't think you were very smart or intelligent.

Sherrie, facts play a big part in this. Not "believing" facts does not make you more or less lovable ... it just confirms your intelligence level on the subject.

I do not judge you on what I think is your sins are, and deserve and respect the same.

Posted by: Will G. | Jan 18, 2014 1:26:31 PM

6. Oh great, the "agree to disagree" bulls-hit, just in a kindler, gentler format.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 18, 2014 1:26:42 PM

7. @Dan Cobb -- You said what I was going to say, but you did a better job of it. Thanks.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Jan 18, 2014 1:27:11 PM

8. Like I care what some black person thinks.

Posted by: Tigernan | Jan 18, 2014 1:28:14 PM

9. I don't drink.

Posted by: Romney Son | Jan 18, 2014 1:28:33 PM

10. Good points, Dan, but is was Ham who was cursed. Shem and Japeth were blessed.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 18, 2014 1:30:41 PM

11. Didn't Sheri Shepherd have at least one child out of wedlock, after years of extra-marital sex? Isn't she currently involved in an 'open relationship' with her baby daddy? So really, what can she teach me or anyone about sanctity of marriage. Or anything for that matter.

Man, I'm telling you...Baldwin, Jordan, Shepherd....that 30 Rock show really pulled in some homophobic loons.

Posted by: Kenneth Ellen | Jan 18, 2014 1:32:02 PM

12. LOL @ ROMNEY SON

Posted by: Pervy McPerv | Jan 18, 2014 1:32:44 PM

13. It's all about feelings, not reality, not loving your neighbor as yourself. Evangelicalism is particularly bad about prioritizing feelings above all else, because manipulating feelings is all they have left since they've stripped everything else away from Christianity. Unfortunately one's feelings aren't a good enough reason to look down on someone, to see someone's household as less than, to take someone's rights away from them. But Evangelicals haven't learned this lesson because the essence of their religious experience privileges feelings above all else. To get through to Evangelicals, one has to undermine this, and all the self-validation dreck that makes them feel good and confident, and privileged, including Biblical literalism.

Posted by: clint | Jan 18, 2014 1:34:33 PM

14. The time has for The View to fade away. I don't know of anyone who watches The View to see Sherry Shepherd, or hear her opinions.

Posted by: Frogview | Jan 18, 2014 1:38:59 PM

15. Actually, Kenneth Ellen, Sherri Shepherd has admitted to having a lot of abortions while being in a series of abusive relationships.

Quoting her: "....My sister was heavy into drugs, and we would have to go and get her from crack houses. I was in a very physically abusive relationship. I was sleeping with a lot of guys and had more abortions than I would like to count. I had very low self-esteem and just wanted to die. I felt if someone killed me, it wouldn’t even make a difference. ...

...I’m speaking as a girl who had a lot of abortions and I swear to God, if they had shown me a picture of the fetus… I would have put my child in a lot of situations that wouldn’t have been good because I didn’t have the mental capacity to deal with having a child."

And then she found Jeebus.

She may or may not have had a child out of wedlock, and she may or may not be involved in an 'open relationship' currently. But she has hardly led the type of life that puts her in a position to judge the morality of committed gay relationships. She's just another hypocritial bigot hiding behind a fake bible.

Posted by: Derrick Jamal D'Enchantra From Philly | Jan 18, 2014 1:43:23 PM

16. Slaves obey your masters. Colossians 3:22.
    Cherry-picker.

Posted by: willjg | Jan 18, 2014 1:43:40 PM

17. Sherri, hope you read this. Just because you grew up believing (not thinking about something) doesn't mean you don't have a duty to continue to learn. You don't seem to be doing that. Moreover, saying you don't agree with my lifestyle because I'm gay is like me telling you I don't agree with yours because you're black.

Posted by: datlaw214 | Jan 18, 2014 1:43:41 PM

18. The obvious is what is heard coming out of your mouth, most of us cannot/do not see or hear what is your heart except what you tell us..."action speaks louder than words".

Posted by: RichB in PS | Jan 18, 2014 1:45:12 PM

19. She needs to recognize that when something she grew up believing conflicts with reality (or with basic human decency), the belief has to change. Maybe she should discuss it with Santa and the tooth fairy.

Posted by: Vint | Jan 18, 2014 1:46:25 PM

20. interesting - as far as I know she got lots of stagetime at gay bars/clubs both in Los Angeles and San Diego (Flicks for example) when she was starting out - interesting that she woulnd't be a huge supporter of the gays.

Posted by: steve | Jan 18, 2014 1:46:29 PM

21. Okay, Sherri, I'm not gonna argue with you either. You can't argue with stupid ...
    As for having a 'great dialogue' with me - & getting a drink afterward - dream on, girl. I'm too busy judging your lifestyle.

Posted by: Leroy Laflamme | Jan 18, 2014 1:48:39 PM

22. Well, you'll be doing *plenty* of drinking, Sherri, when one of your sons chooses to kill himself rather than have to deal with coming out to a determinedly-anti-gay mother.

bottoms UP!

Posted by: Little Kiwi | Jan 18, 2014 1:59:57 PM

23. This woman is an imbecile

Posted by: Theo | Jan 18, 2014 2:04:05 PM

24. It seems that when a black person voices an opinion that is anti -gay. - the gay community response tends to attack all blacks and lack of recognition that blacks are also homosexuals. Instead of being inclusive, the community is still exclusive. One person does not represent a race.

Posted by: lee | Jan 18, 2014 2:07:02 PM

25. Imagine a View co-host saying something like "I was raised in a church that taught that the Good Lord ordained that the White race was superior and that black people were hewers of wood and drawers of water. That's my personal belief that I was raised on. But I can still respect black people and I'll even have a drink with them. But I'm entitled to my religious beliefs."

Posted by: Kieran | Jan 18, 2014 2:07:56 PM