Gay Marriage | Macklemore | News

34 Couples Wed at the Grammys to Macklemore's Gay Rights Anthem 'Same Love': VIDEO

Grammy1

Queen Latifah married 34 couples, gay and straight, during a performance by Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, and Mary Lambert of their gay rights anthem "Same Love".

Madonna_latifah

The trio was joined by Madonna, who sang an adapted version of her hit "Open Your Heart" as the couples embraced and exchanged rings.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Grammy2

Comments

1. Touching and memorable performance. Kudos to all involved!

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Jan 26, 2014 11:36:45 PM

2. having my wedding on the grammys is my idea of hell but if these people liked that - good for thtem.

Posted by: steve | Jan 26, 2014 11:44:01 PM

3. Wow. Beautiful.

Posted by: ArtFlop | Jan 26, 2014 11:47:12 PM

4. BEAUTIFUL!

Posted by: RESOFFLA | Jan 26, 2014 11:51:37 PM

5. It was great, just not quite sure why Ryan Lewis came out from behind the drum set and jerked Queen Latifah over to the left, unless it was because she was in the shot as the corpse of Madonna walked out to sing Open Your Heart.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 26, 2014 11:52:21 PM

6. @Notsafeforwork - Your comment made be lol. I was wondering why he was pulling on her as well.

"The Corpse of Madonna" lolol

Posted by: justin | Jan 26, 2014 11:56:45 PM

7. It was nice. I wish Madonna was a little less frigid, she came off like "what are these OTHER people doing here?".

I was touched when they started to show people in the crowd and there were grown ass men with tears in their eyes.

It was a little odd to me that Queen Latifah was chosen to preside. I though that maybe she was going to come out publicly during the performance but clearly that didn't happen.

Posted by: BrandonJD | Jan 27, 2014 12:01:37 AM

8. Who's the spastic albino in the string tie?

Posted by: Derrick From Philly | Jan 27, 2014 12:02:27 AM

9. @Justin...LOL...Queen didn't move either. I great respect and love for Madge...just thought she didn't look so good. The makeup reminded me of "Death Becomes Her" and that all white outfit and cane wasn't helping one bit.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 27, 2014 12:02:59 AM

10. @Notsafeforwork you might think of Madge as a corpse but just a reminder: she's a very rich, very accomplished, very famous corpse.

You should be so lucky.

Posted by: jamal49 | Jan 27, 2014 12:04:13 AM

11. @Brandon...I think I saw Keith Urban on the cut away with tears streaming down his cheeks

@Derrik...Macklemore

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 27, 2014 12:04:47 AM

12. Congrats to the couples, but did anyone notice that they would quickly cut any time one of them went in for a kiss?

Posted by: Josh | Jan 27, 2014 12:05:10 AM

13. @Jamal49...chill out Diva. If I wanted a reprimand I would call my father. I've been her fan since Day One. Wasn't a comment about her age. I don't think she looked good tonight. I can certainly say that.

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 27, 2014 12:07:58 AM

14. Hey GLBT people in Russia, Nigeria, Uganda - hang in there.This clip and event was inconceivable when I came out decades ago.Liberty and love prevail.Its coming for you.

Posted by: redhook | Jan 27, 2014 12:08:56 AM

15. Moving, historic...and a step back in that 2014 marks the THIRTIETH anniversary of Elton John's brief marriage to a woman, and yet Miss "Queen NOT a Lesbian, Bitches" STILL didn't have the integrity to come out? Make that "Same SECRET Love" for her... IF it couldn't be one of the actual marriage equality heroes like Edie Windsor officiating because she's not a celebrity musician, then why not now long-out Elton or Melissa Etheridge or k.d. lang? Latifah's cowardly inclusion spit in the face of these gay couples courageous enough to declare THEIR love on international TV.

Posted by: Michael Bedwell | Jan 27, 2014 12:11:38 AM

16. If you replay the shot of the couples exchanging rings you can see two shirtless gay bears in harnesses at the end of the line of couples exchanging vows

I wish we could have gotten a closer view of them

Posted by: American Dreamer | Jan 27, 2014 12:11:58 AM

17. I'll admit, I got choked up.

But does anyone see the irony of having Queen Latifah "officiate" the wedding ceremony?

Posted by: S. | Jan 27, 2014 12:12:52 AM

18. @Michael

First off, doesn't everyone already know that Queen is gay? I thought that was common knowledge just like Jodi Foster. Also, what did you think of her gesture and emphasis when she said "all of us"? Didn't that confirm her status without taking the attention away from the couples?

Posted by: NotSafeForWork | Jan 27, 2014 12:16:37 AM

19. i loved it

Posted by: Reality | Jan 27, 2014 12:22:44 AM

20. No to Latifah coming out at the this performance. This wasn't about her, or Madonna or even Macklemore etc..It was about the people and the unity and the love. As much as I love Madonna, so glad she just did her thing and didn't try to own the show. I liked it, all the performers were there for one thing and it wasn't themselves, it was great to see.

Posted by: Supes81 | Jan 27, 2014 12:22:58 AM

21. I didn't like the actual performance. I loved, and obviously found incredibly special, the marriages and the standing ovation and tears from celebrities in the crowd afterward. In many ways, this song speaks to the choir and the people who need to hear this message haven't heard or won't hear the message. But the fact a song about same-sex love, about equality, that same-sex couples, interracial couples, can marry on live TV, on the biggest musical event in the world, and be celebrated---who could have imagined even five years ago? Beautiful. Special.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 27, 2014 12:23:05 AM

22. thought was awesome statement for equality. wonder what the ramifications will be in he am.......Keith Urban did have tears streaming down his face. good for him. i do not see how anyone couldn't be affected by this.

Posted by: tinhouston | Jan 27, 2014 12:31:00 AM

23. To quote Edina monsoon: "cowboy hats is back!"

Posted by: Tristram | Jan 27, 2014 12:33:08 AM

24. Madonna's voice is irritating and she can't carry a simple tune. Embarrassing...

Posted by: Norma Stitz | Jan 27, 2014 12:37:24 AM

25. Andy, who is the man in the turquoise sherwani? He looks awfully familiar (from my days in NY), so I am guessing you know him.

Posted by: Critifur | Jan 27, 2014 12:38:38 AM