Juan Pablo Galavis | News

BigGayDeal.com

TV's 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo Galavis Tries to Apologize for Anti-Gay Remarks

TV's 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo Galavis posted a sort of apology on his Facebook page after an interview was published in which he said there shouldn't be a gay version of The Bachelor because it would not be a "good example" for children. He also suggested gay people are "perverted".

Jp_galavisGalavis's statement:

People,

I want to apologize to all the people I may have offended because of my comments on having a Gay or Bisexual Bachelor. The comment was taken out of context. If you listen to the entire interview, there's nothing but respect for Gay people and their families. I have many gay friends and one of my closest friends who's like a brother has been a constant in my life especially during the past 5 months. The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it. Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself. What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept. The show is very racy as it is and I don't let my 5 year old daughter watch it. Once again, I'm sorry for how my words were taken. I would never disrespect anyone.

Sinceramente,

Juan Pablo Galavis.

Comments

1. May Juan discover just how difficult it is to put the bigot cat back into the bag.

Posted by: sparks | Jan 18, 2014 6:23:13 PM

2. 'pervert' - 'affectionate', I get those words confused all the time! So gay affection is bad and deadbeat dad affection is good. Got it.

Posted by: Harris | Jan 18, 2014 6:26:19 PM

3. Nice try. Too bad "pervert" in Spanish is "pervertido" and therefore doesn't lose much in the translation. Even if he was thinking of "perverso", that means wicked, depraved, or evil.

Posted by: buster | Jan 18, 2014 6:32:04 PM

4. That sure didn't take long.
    We weren't done being angry yet!

Even with very close gay friends he still doesn't get it. The world's heteronormative matrix is a tough set of goggles to take off.

Posted by: BOOM! | Jan 18, 2014 6:33:37 PM

5. Maybe Juan also has sexual feelings for men but doesn't want to have anything to do with them. A lot of men are conflicted in this way : while they have sexual feelings for women, they also have sexual feelings for men.

Homophobia is often an expression of rejection of same-sex feelings for reasons that have to do with religious upbringing or a fear of sexual rejection by women. Women often reject men in whom homosexual feelings co-exist with heterosexual feelings.

Posted by: richard | Jan 18, 2014 6:33:46 PM

6. LMAO, I knew this was coming. How is it possible to construe the word pervert out of context? It is what it is. Just another hollow, PR generated "apology."

Then he pulls the "I have gay friends" card. To funny!

Posted by: NY2.0 | Jan 18, 2014 6:35:42 PM

7. Deadbeat Dad says what?

Posted by: Houndentenor | Jan 18, 2014 6:36:48 PM

8. What kind of example is it for "children" when a few dozen women throw themselves at a 30-something man who hasn't been able to establish a meaningful relationship on his own based on more than looks ad come-ons?

Posted by: Steve | Jan 18, 2014 6:44:30 PM

9. His gay friends must be just as dumb as he is.

Posted by: borut | Jan 18, 2014 6:45:08 PM

10. Jason finding a way to shoehorn his hatred of women in a post about a Venezuelan man making hate comments with an awful non-apology on top of it. Couldn't have expected anything else.

Juan Pablo is an idiot, and so are his defenders.

Posted by: Francis | Jan 18, 2014 6:46:47 PM

11. Why couldn't he have just apologized...and not gone on to blame it on translators or his poor English?

An apology I would have accepted. Once.

Posted by: jj | Jan 18, 2014 6:52:09 PM

12. Horse. Stable door. Bolted.

Posted by: Icebloo | Jan 18, 2014 6:59:43 PM

13. I'll willingly give him a guarded pass. I have read that in the Latin-American cultures sex isn't considered dirty, as we Americans generally consider it; they consider it "green" in the sense of a part of life, something they tend to value and feel less embarrassed about. It is also possible that his experience with English has brought him into contact with the playful uses of "pervert" employed by some straight men toward each other or in describing some acts. There is also the fact, if you listen to the interview, that he seems to use the word "pervert" in a restricted or guarded way, like maybe he's not really sure of its meaning, but it's similar to another word he's more familiar with.

In general, I'll trust what another person says of his/her intentions, rather than rely on armchair analysis and knee-jerk responses.

Posted by: Chuck Mielke | Jan 18, 2014 7:07:18 PM

14. The Bachelor and Duck Dynasty are owned by Disney. Time to boycott Disney.

Posted by: richard | Jan 18, 2014 7:15:15 PM

15. What the hell is up with the rank homophobia being put out by Disney? Seriously, it's off the charts.

Posted by: Nick | Jan 18, 2014 7:34:49 PM

16. The "apology" was obviously written by a PR person. It reads so much like every other apology we see when someone says something dumb like that.

Posted by: Jim in TO | Jan 18, 2014 7:41:53 PM

17. OH, GIVE FOLKS A LITTLE BREAK

If he makes sure that his explanation/retraction/apology gets into the media, it will help straight people who do not know what to say.

And, although he manages familiar things very well in English, my own experience with other languages reminds me that I might start fishing for words and mess up.

I remember when I told my French teacher she had LIVED more than me, but, I actually said she FARTED more than me.

Posted by: Bob | Jan 18, 2014 7:54:57 PM

18. There was a gay version of The
    Bachelor. It was Boy Meets Boy.

Posted by: Will D. | Jan 18, 2014 7:56:38 PM

19. To the "Oh give the guy a little break" people. "Pervert" in Spanish pretty much means the same thing as it does in English

Posted by: Nick Name | Jan 18, 2014 8:41:17 PM

20. @Will D
    Tell me what you know about 'Boy Meets Boy'.

Posted by: JASPER | Jan 18, 2014 8:50:23 PM

21. Wow, virtually EVERY comment on his Facebook supporting him and telling him that he is right and shouldn't apologize are FEMALE. I'm starting to believe that some of the most anti-gay people out there are actually women. All this time I thought my mother was the exception instead of the rule. Now I'm starting to reconsider. Women may not be any worse but they're certainly no better than men in the homophobia department.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Jan 18, 2014 9:25:07 PM

22. @TAMPAZEKE-- Uhhh, no offense, but you have heard about One Million Moms, Maggie Gallagher, Michelle Bachmann, Sarah Palin, etc., etc., etc., all the way back to Anita Bryant and Phyllis Schlafly?

Some of the most anti-gay people out there have always been women. Usually the type of woman who are pretty awful to other women, too. There's no inherent good or bad, sane or crazy gene according to gender. If anything, when it comes to celebrities, female anti-gay rhetoric is taken for granted more than male-- note that this week the Bachelor's anti-gay comments have caused much more of an uproar than Sherri Shepherd's (BTW, on that note, what the hell is going on at Disney/ABC?)

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Jan 18, 2014 9:40:04 PM

23. I cannot imagine where Disney's/ABC's publicist was letting someone with English as a Second Language go off on his own.

That being said, does every publicist have one of these lame non-apology/apology with the same "taken out of context", "if anyone was offended", etc., at their fingertips.

It's too bad the elevator in the very pretty house doesn't go all the way to the penthouse.

Posted by: LincolnLounger | Jan 18, 2014 9:41:16 PM

24. They may not be gay-friendly, but at least they are not allowed to be openly homophobic anymore.

Posted by: Max | Jan 18, 2014 9:43:30 PM

25. Yeah, sorry, but I don't trust most typical women. Especially religious ones. I'd sooner trust most any dude in most situations. Of course there are dozens of exceptions, but they have been exceptions in my book.

My fave people are lesbians, and I'm not lucky enough to befriend them often enough.

Posted by: Just_a_guy | Jan 18, 2014 9:47:06 PM