Health | Science

Anti-Gay Bigots Die Younger: Study

Young Westboro protesters

Anti-gay bigots die younger. By about 2.5 years, according to a study performed by researchers at Columbia University. The study surveyed over 20,000 heterosexual individuals from the years 1988 to 2008, 4,000 of whom had died by the end of the study, and asked them questions like:

• Suppose a man who admits that he is a homosexual wanted to make a speech in your community. Should he be allowed to speak, or not?
  • Do you think that sexual relations between two adults of the same sex is always wrong, almost always wrong, wrong only sometimes, or not wrong at all?

When searching for the connection between anti-gay attitudes and shorter lifespan, the researchers were able to make some educated guesses. One theory suggested that anger was a major factor as anger can contribute to cardiovascular issues such as hypertension and coronary heart disease, while another figured that chronic stress was a factor as stress is detrimental to overall health. In either case, the findings are preliminary and researchers still have to dig further, but in the meantime it would seem that abandoning anti-gay animus could be beneficial to one's life expectancy.

Comments

1. Dsgusting to see, how those parents use their children on their hate agenda. Children don't hate anyone before someone teaches them to. It is a crime of humanity, a crime for future generation. Society should act strongly.

Posted by: Matt27 | Feb 22, 2014 8:59:19 AM

2. FINALLY, SOME GOOD NEWS!!!!

Posted by: normadesmond | Feb 22, 2014 9:04:03 AM

3. Let's do all we can to make the bigots angry, so they die earlier.

Posted by: Joel | Feb 22, 2014 9:06:31 AM

4. Guess God just loves 'em soooo much he can't wait to see 'em!?!

Posted by: Christopher | Feb 22, 2014 9:34:27 AM

5. The same researchers have released a study showing LGB individuals die 12 years younger in areas full of bigotry. So bigots are hurting themselves, but not as much as they are killing gays.

Posted by: Justin | Feb 22, 2014 9:36:25 AM

6. I don't think that picture is appropriate, those kids didn't choose to born with loonies as parents, they don't even understand what they are doing, shame on this article because you are an adult, you do understand what you are doing.

Posted by: MArk | Feb 22, 2014 10:17:50 AM

7. I do agree that the choice of photos to illustrate the post is inappropriate and unfortunate. Yes the children are part of the public demonstrations but I think it's in poor taste to use them obliquely suggesting that they are about to die young. Also while I am of course against any anti-gay bias and bigotry I find is sad that anybody celebrates the early death of another. I wish that they could/would change their hearts but don't see the need to wish them an early death.

Posted by: Matt | Feb 22, 2014 10:54:10 AM

8. NORMADESMOND - Agreed, and thank god. I'm not feeling compassionate today toward a-holes, so I am happy about the statistic. Maybe tomorrow I will find it in myself to feel sorry for these people.

Posted by: Jude | Feb 22, 2014 11:22:56 AM

9. I thought it was 25 years ......but 2.5 years is disappointing but it's a start.

@ Matt and others: it's Karma, dude. These are twisted hypocritical $h1t$.....the sooner they are gone the better.
    Now let's work on that 25 years.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 22, 2014 11:50:29 AM

10. Wait a minute! I'm supposed to have enablers???!??! Like minions??? Like peeps to do my bidding???

I demand to see the manager!

Posted by: BobN | Feb 22, 2014 12:08:48 PM

11. While the gap is not only understandable but, I would expect, probably much bigger than the study suggests, the questions cited are meaningless unless the same questions switching "heterosexual" with "homosexual" we're asked to see if respondents were singling out gays.

Is a sexual relationship between two adults of the same sex wrong? I would say "sometimes" it's wrong -- the same answer I would give if asked if sex between two straight adults is wrong or two white adults or any other adjective.
    If two men consent to safe and honest and fulfilling sex with each other, then great! But if one of them just told his monogamous husband that he was going out to visit his sister and then comes home depressed and diseased while maintaining a lie, then, no, it was not a "right" situation for sex.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 22, 2014 12:46:28 PM

12. SCALIA

Posted by: KevinSF | Feb 22, 2014 3:01:07 PM

13. @Matt: if the research is correct, those kids probably will die at an earlier age than otherwise, and the fault rests with their abusive parents.

If that study is right, parents passing homophobic attitudes on to children is quantitatively a form of child abuse.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 22, 2014 4:58:43 PM

14. This is hardly a very scientific "study", lol

Posted by: wheelie81 | Feb 23, 2014 2:36:40 AM

15. Hate is a very negative emotion, and so it will have powerfully adverse effects on your physical as well as psychological well-being when you indulge in it.

Therefore when you hate, the first person you hurt is yourself. I wish this little piece of information had greater traction among bigots.

Posted by: Max | Feb 23, 2014 2:16:51 PM

16. Well, makes sense. If you are that unhappy with everything and everyone, why live longer?

Posted by: SFRowGuy | Feb 24, 2014 4:02:32 PM