Anti-Gay Bigots Die Younger: Study

Young Westboro protesters

Anti-gay bigots die younger. By about 2.5 years, according to a study performed by researchers at Columbia University. The study surveyed over 20,000 heterosexual individuals from the years 1988 to 2008, 4,000 of whom had died by the end of the study, and asked them questions like:

• Suppose a man who admits that he is a homosexual wanted to make a speech in your community. Should he be allowed to speak, or not?
  • Do you think that sexual relations between two adults of the same sex is always wrong, almost always wrong, wrong only sometimes, or not wrong at all?

When searching for the connection between anti-gay attitudes and shorter lifespan, the researchers were able to make some educated guesses. One theory suggested that anger was a major factor as anger can contribute to cardiovascular issues such as hypertension and coronary heart disease, while another figured that chronic stress was a factor as stress is detrimental to overall health. In either case, the findings are preliminary and researchers still have to dig further, but in the meantime it would seem that abandoning anti-gay animus could be beneficial to one's life expectancy.

Comments

1. Matt27 says

Dsgusting to see, how those parents use their children on their hate agenda. Children don’t hate anyone before someone teaches them to. It is a crime of humanity, a crime for future generation. Society should act strongly.

2. MArk says

I don’t think that picture is appropriate, those kids didn’t choose to born with loonies as parents, they don’t even understand what they are doing, shame on this article because you are an adult, you do understand what you are doing.

3. Matt says

I do agree that the choice of photos to illustrate the post is inappropriate and unfortunate. Yes the children are part of the public demonstrations but I think it’s in poor taste to use them obliquely suggesting that they are about to die young. Also while I am of course against any anti-gay bias and bigotry I find is sad that anybody celebrates the early death of another. I wish that they could/would change their hearts but don’t see the need to wish them an early death.

4. Jude says

NORMADESMOND – Agreed, and thank god. I’m not feeling compassionate today toward a-holes, so I am happy about the statistic. Maybe tomorrow I will find it in myself to feel sorry for these people.

5. JackFknTwist says

I thought it was 25 years ……but 2.5 years is disappointing but it’s a start.

@ Matt and others: it’s Karma, dude. These are twisted hypocritical $h1t$…..the sooner they are gone the better.
    Now let’s work on that 25 years.

6. GregV says

While the gap is not only understandable but, I would expect, probably much bigger than the study suggests, the questions cited are meaningless unless the same questions switching “heterosexual” with “homosexual” we’re asked to see if respondents were singling out gays.

Is a sexual relationship between two adults of the same sex wrong? I would say “sometimes” it’s wrong — the same answer I would give if asked if sex between two straight adults is wrong or two white adults or any other adjective.
    If two men consent to safe and honest and fulfilling sex with each other, then great! But if one of them just told his monogamous husband that he was going out to visit his sister and then comes home depressed and diseased while maintaining a lie, then, no, it was not a “right” situation for sex.

7. Bill says

@Matt: if the research is correct, those kids probably will die at an earlier age than otherwise, and the fault rests with their abusive parents.

If that study is right, parents passing homophobic attitudes on to children is quantitatively a form of child abuse.

8. Max says

Hate is a very negative emotion, and so it will have powerfully adverse effects on your physical as well as psychological well-being when you indulge in it.

Therefore when you hate, the first person you hurt is yourself. I wish this little piece of information had greater traction among bigots.