Arizona | Jan Brewer | Jeff Flake | John McCain | News

BigGayDeal.com

Arizona Senators John McCain and Jeff Flake Urge Brewer Veto of Arizona Anti-Gay Discrimination Bill

Mccain Flake

"I hope Governor Brewer will veto #SB1062," Arizona Senator John McCain tweeted this morning, joining his colleague Senator Jeff Flake who tweeted a nearly identical message over the weekend.

Brewer spoke about the bill with CNN on Friday:

“Well, it’s a very controversial piece of legislation. We know that. We know that it’s failed in a lot of states across the country. ... I’ve been reading about it on the Internet and I will make my decision some time before ... by next Friday ... if I do decide to sign it. But it’s very controversial, so I’ve got to get my hands around it.”

Comments

1. Brewer's quotation makes her sound like an idiot. Besides being mealy-mouthed and repetitive, elected officials shouldn't cop to using the Internet for guidance on tough political decisions. I'm quite sure she knows enough about the bill at this point that she won't learn much from surfing the Web.

Posted by: Paul R | Feb 24, 2014 12:19:00 PM

2. In Republican brains, hateful = controversial.

Posted by: MARCUS BACHMANN | Feb 24, 2014 12:19:05 PM

3. It's going down. Repubs love to pander to the crazy, but when it starts messing with profits (the Chamber of Commerce is against it), then it's time to tamp down on the fringe.

Posted by: tranquilo | Feb 24, 2014 12:21:55 PM

4. guess the wife and kids are finally getting through to john

Posted by: woody | Feb 24, 2014 12:23:59 PM

5. exactly Tranquilo

the chamber of commerce has spoken & mccain and flake jumped

Posted by: Moz's | Feb 24, 2014 12:32:21 PM

6. Finally something rational from McCain. I'm surprised he isn't somehow blaming Obama for this like he normally does. I am so dissapointed in him. He used to be a respected Republican with half a brain but, in the past couple of years he has turned into this bitter, old man who yells at the sun like Grandpa Simpson.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 24, 2014 12:36:51 PM

7. When Jeff Flake thinks you're too anti-gay you have really screwed up.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 24, 2014 12:45:28 PM

8. They just move back to Manitoba...

Posted by: styler | Feb 24, 2014 12:45:29 PM

9. Jan, your only option in getting your hands around it is to rip it up in shreds. As a Phoenician this is not supported by me and a lot of gay and straight people in the city. They can see that this garbage will spread far past the reaches of the gay community and a lot of businesses are going out of their way to say they would never discriminate their customer base.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Feb 24, 2014 12:45:55 PM

10. Paul, that's because she IS an idiot. She's a drunk, uneducated lizard of a woman who's only there to benefit herself, her family and their bank accounts. If I never step foot in AZ again, it will be under great duress. The fact that someone like her could actually be elected speaks volume to the over all quality and mentality of the citizens of that state. Their brains are all boiled by the "dry" heat.

Posted by: Kenneth | Feb 24, 2014 12:56:21 PM

11. Maybe I'm too cynical but this reeks of the Republican establishment trying to supress this until AFTER the 2014 elections! After all, they don't want people to think they are intolerant.

After 2014, they will have a miraculous change of heart and support discrimination because...that's what God wants!

Posted by: Howard B | Feb 24, 2014 1:04:25 PM

12. I am an Arizona native, born and raised. This bill is appalling to me and so many others LGBTAQ. Please, I feel like we need all of the help and support we can get, so that this bill does not pass.

Posted by: tonyb4956@gmail.com | Feb 24, 2014 1:04:39 PM

13. I half wish she would sign it so that once the real consequences of that are shown, no other state will try it again.

Posted by: Mikey DallasM | Feb 24, 2014 1:19:55 PM

14. @ Howard B — do you really think the Republicants are going to have a good shot of success in the 2014 elections? Something of importance has been happening that leads me to believe there is going to be a backlash come November…

@ Mikey DallasM — I sort of feel the same, bring it on and suffer the consequences.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 24, 2014 4:19:14 PM

15. Why are Republicans all INSANE ? Seriously. What the hell happened to them ?
    For a democracy to work we need a serious opposition and right now a group of monkeys is more intelligent and realistic than the insane Republican party.
    Things have gotten so bad for them they are now trying to revive Jeb Bush for their next presidential race. Yes. It's that bad.

Posted by: Icebloo | Feb 24, 2014 5:20:58 PM

16. It's such a narrowly focused bill that it probably would not pass muster on 14th amendment grounds. You can't pass laws out of animus or spite.

Posted by: anon | Feb 24, 2014 5:50:17 PM

17. This is of course a terrible bill, and it will fail. But think how far we've come. These bills are sort of a jab from a panicky right wing that sees the writing on the wall for gay marriage, and not even these bills can make it through a single red state so far. Yes, it's chilling that the legislature passed it, but just as quickly the republican legislators seem to be hearing the message that the world has changed!

Posted by: Matt | Feb 24, 2014 8:26:36 PM