Bright Light Bright Light | Elton John | Music | News

BigGayDeal.com

Bright Light Bright Light and Elton John Duet on 'I Wish We Were Leaving': MUSIC

Wishwewereleaving

Elton John phoned Welsh-born pop artist Bright Light Bright Light (aka Rod Thomas) to compliment him on his debut album and their friendship resulted in this duet, which wasn't originally written as one.

The Guardian reports:

"In time I played him I Wish We Were Leaving and he added his vocals. Although it wasn't written as a duet, I love that his voice taking lead in the second verse is a reminder that every relationship has two sides and two voices."

For Elton it meant working in a slightly different way to what he's been used to: "Working with Bright Light Bright Light was a challenge for me as I love Electronica but am quite ignorant on the recording process. I had to sing in a completely different way which I really enjoyed."

The track is part of an EP of the same name out April 7.

Listen, AFTER THE JUMP...

For more on Bright Light Bright Light, don't miss our Bobby Hankinson's interview with him that we published last June. As well as "Moves", "An Open Heart", and "In Your Care".

Comments

1. Loved it! I'd also like to hear a version without the fast beats -- the subject of the song lends itself to a more somber, reflective mood.

Posted by: Scott | Feb 21, 2014 12:35:39 PM

2. Pet shop boys redux

Posted by: Qj201 | Feb 21, 2014 12:50:02 PM

3. @QJ201—agreed… actually the PSB might have made something more interesting out of this. It's kind of listenable, I'd be somewhat remotely interested in hearing a dance remix.

But how does Elton J sing any differently here than anything else he's sung? Doesn't sound to me like that much of a challenge for him.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 21, 2014 1:46:20 PM

4. "God only knows what I'd be with out you..."

Ahem.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 21, 2014 2:31:02 PM

5. I like it.

Posted by: jarago | Feb 21, 2014 5:49:17 PM

6. @Randy: Bingo! On every verse, I was just waiting for the Beach Boys to appear, singing those words in exactly the same tune. It sounds like an electronic version of that song with the words modified.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 21, 2014 6:36:57 PM

7. Big BLBL fan here, loved his EP last year.
    Loved his duet with Ana Matronic as well.
    But not a fan of the drum'n-bass-ish background though.
    Alas, a duet with Elton is a true acknowledgement of BLBL talent!

Posted by: ElCid | Feb 21, 2014 8:20:19 PM

8. People like this crap? Why?

Posted by: Bravo | Feb 21, 2014 11:07:05 PM

9. Alas, alas, alas.... the whingers are out. Problem with the modern musical scale is there is only so many notes and cords that ultimately can be used and writers are influenced, sometimes indirectly/subconsciously by what's already out there.
    Well done Rod - you've pissed several people off and made many, many more impressed by your talent. Keep on doing what you are doing and let the ones that don't matter not matter.

Posted by: Perkin Warbeck | Feb 23, 2014 3:46:10 PM

10. Thank you. I've become such a huge fan of Bright Light Bright Light. He has such a beautiful voice. I do prefer the tracks with just the piano to the dance remixes but I love it all.

Posted by: Daniel | Feb 24, 2014 11:07:15 AM