Coca-Cola | News | Russia | Super Bowl

BigGayDeal.com

Coca-Cola Features Gay Family in Super Bowl Ad Celebrating America's Diversity: VIDEO

Cocacola

Amid protests by LGBT activists over its sponsorship of the Sochi Olympic games and silence over Russia's anti-gay laws, Coca-Cola this evening featured a gay family in a minute-long ad celebrating America's diversity.

Coca-Cola also posted a five-minute behind-the-scenes video of the ad online, featuring interviews with its participants.

Watch both clips, AFTER THE JUMP...

While the spot was commended by some LGBT activists (Freedom to Marry's Michael Crawford tweeted praise, calling it "the best ad so far"), it seems unlikely (and is perhaps not intended) to change objections to the company's participation as a Sochi sponsor.

Tweeted Dan Savage, using a promotional Coke hashtag that was hijacked by activists earlier this month:

"Love your endorsement of diversity and tolerance in the USA, @CocaCola—how about some support for Russian LGBT people? #CheersToSochi"

UPDATE: The Coca-Cola ad's multi-lingual soundtrack didn't go over well with a bunch of racist Americans, TIME writes:

It was that last aspect that unfortunately, brought out America the Ugly, at least on some parts of the Internet. “WTF?” asked one post on Twitter. “@CocaCola has America the Beautiful being sung in different languages in a #SuperBowl commercial? We speak ENGLISH here, IDIOTS.” Some of the vitriol may have been satire for all I know, but there was much too much for that to explain all of the “English or GTFO” sentiment–not all of it in impeccable English itself. To wit: “Dear @CocaCola : America the beautiful is sang in English. Piss off. #DontF--kWithUs.” (To be fair, not every Tweet brought up by a search on “Coca Cola English agreed: “Coca Cola brings the commercial of the night: America the Beautiful sung in Spanish, English, Arabic, and other languages. Beautiful.”)

3_cocacola

Comments

1. Just waiting for people to go crazy because they sang in languages other than English...

Posted by: Pendog | Feb 2, 2014 8:18:40 PM

2. #therestoftheworldactuallydespisestheUSA

Posted by: Tristram | Feb 2, 2014 8:36:28 PM

3. Coca-Cola like all companies and people who help advance the cause of Human Rights and Equality are to be applauded. I liked the one guy's quote about America: "It's the world in one country". Hopefully we are moving in the direction to make America: The best of the World in one country.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 2, 2014 8:38:51 PM

4. You know I watched this live and didn't even notice the gay family. It was blink and you'll miss it. The multi-lingual song was nice however.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 2, 2014 8:40:27 PM

5. There was also a gay Jewish couple in the ad; twice.

Still doesn't make up for not speaking out against Russia.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 2, 2014 9:19:30 PM

6. Barely noticed the gay couples -- a dog whistle only we can hear. Too little, Coke.

Posted by: Richard | Feb 2, 2014 9:24:39 PM

7. That was very nice-I do think that the song should have been sung in English-because while we come here speaking other languages- we are united by a common language.

Posted by: jarago | Feb 2, 2014 9:25:50 PM

8. Get ready for the Christo-fascists to complain that they weren't specifically featured.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 2, 2014 9:27:48 PM

9. I don't care until they deal with Sochi.

Posted by: Critifur | Feb 2, 2014 9:32:40 PM

10. I don't drink it

Posted by: ppp | Feb 2, 2014 9:35:31 PM

11. Actually the one gay dad spoke at 1:13 and at 1:42. The gay family 2:23-2:30 and again at 2:58-3:06. Not quite "blink and you'll miss it".

Posted by: andrew | Feb 2, 2014 9:36:13 PM

12. Gotta love representation that happens so quickly you'll blink if you miss it. That helps so much.

Posted by: Derrick | Feb 2, 2014 9:36:41 PM

13. @JARAGO English might be the most prevelant language here but not for long so accepting that fact is incredibly important for the future of America. It's therefore gratifying to see this add in multiple languages. We should start doing many more things in English and Spanish. After all, we are a unique country without any official language.

Posted by: Opinionated | Feb 2, 2014 9:39:39 PM

14. @JIM IN TO, download Hola Unblocker from google chrome. Changed my tv viewing life :)

Posted by: Opinionated | Feb 2, 2014 9:48:15 PM

15. @ JARAGO - everyone in my family is fluent in English, but It's not unusual to speak Spanish at get togethers. That's bad for me, because I never kept up with my Spanish. My son decided to become fluent in Spanish, because he can see the writing on the wall.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Feb 2, 2014 9:57:06 PM

16. @Andrew: I think you're talking about the "making of the Superbowl ad" interviews. The actual 60-second ad from the Superbowl features the same-sex couple for three seconds. I appreciate the inclusion, however small.
    It is, to me, "blink-and-you-miss-it," though, not only because it's only three seconds but especially since it's "gay vague."

It would be easy to read that scene as a local dad from a Northern city on an outing with his kids and helping a foreign visitor to balance as he tries on ice skates.
    For all the viewer knows, the wives are just out of the frame grabbing hot chocolates and looking on, laughing.

You have to go out of your way to watch the "making-of" video on YouTube to know they're a gay couple.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 2, 2014 10:12:19 PM

17. they're going crazy on facebook now about the song being sung in different languages. sadly the message of american diversity is lost on these pseudo patriots.

i don't get their simplistic english vs, foreign language dichotomy. it's not as if it's strictly an either-or thing. many immigrants are bilingual. i speak english when i'm out and about in the community, and i speak my mother tongue to my family and friends who share my ethnic background. does that mean i haven't integrated in american society? rubbish. xenophobia much.

Posted by: jed | Feb 2, 2014 10:23:38 PM

18. @TampaZeke It's that kind of attack on the Christian right that promotes angst against these kinds of adds. The PC left have pushed an agenda that have pushed us against a wall and we are now willing to raise our voices and push back!

Posted by: broncodrew | Feb 2, 2014 10:30:07 PM

19. @SPACECADET: My apology. You were right "blink and you'll miss it". I was watching the behind the scenes longer version. Like you, I enjoyed the multi-lingual song.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 2, 2014 10:32:51 PM

20. If Towleroad hadn't clued me into a "gay family" I would have missed it. I guess we have to take whatever scraps are thrown to us, though.

Posted by: will | Feb 2, 2014 10:41:43 PM

21. Well if Bruno Mars is actually gay then we had a (not out) gay Superbowl halftime performer!

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 2, 2014 11:16:57 PM

22. This is a good thing...boycotts don't work anyways...

Posted by: Ankerich | Feb 2, 2014 11:22:53 PM

23. I guess I missed them, because I was looking. I actually thought it was in good taste that they DIDN'T try to stir this issue up. Now I come here and find out that they DID.

I can't believe they think this is a good idea. It's so stupid.

And my new Sodastream is working great!

Posted by: Randy | Feb 2, 2014 11:42:27 PM

24. I did even notice the gay couple in the ad. Still doesn't change the fact that Coke's logo is on the uniforms of Putin's "propaganda" police in Sochi.

Posted by: NY2.0 | Feb 2, 2014 11:43:57 PM

25. A gay couple seen for 1 second does NOT make up with your ties to Putins Russia.

Posted by: Jacob | Feb 2, 2014 11:58:09 PM