Russia | Scott Thompson | Sochi Olympics | Stephen Colbert

BigGayDeal.com

Colbert's Olympics Reporter Buddy Cole Penetrates Sochi's Gay Underground: VIDEO

B_cole

Stephen Colbert's Olympics correspondent Buddy Cole (Scott Thompson) penetrated Sochi's gay underground to pay a visit to Mayak, the city's gay nightclub and have a talk with his owner.

After a brief discussion about Putin's non-traditional relationships with animals and his propensity to bare his nipples in public, Buddy Cole decided he might stay awhile, but chose to cover his own nips up.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

If you missed Cole's previous report on the gay extremist threat to Sochi find it here, and don't miss his visit with the U.S. speedskating team.

2_cole

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive

Comments

1. I really do not like the stereotype, even in fun. But still, very funny.

Posted by: Joel | Feb 21, 2014 12:55:53 PM

2. I'm glad that our straight allies understand how to poke fun, but their privilege of being straight means that that's all they ever seem to do : hurr hurr haha Putin bares his chest, he's gay

They never talk about what actually matters. That we are dying and being harmed by religion and politics.

Would he have done a comedy like this about Jewish people in Nazi Germany?

I do have a sense of humor but these days, I'm kind of over the media either serving us diddly squat coverage over anti-gay hate OR COMEDY HOUR !! STARRING BIGOTS AND 'DEM OL GAYS AT THE GAY BAR !! HAHA!

Posted by: ggrr | Feb 21, 2014 12:56:46 PM

3. Scott Thompson is hardly straight.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 21, 2014 1:02:26 PM

4. @Crispy

I know. He's Canadian :P.

Posted by: Steve | Feb 21, 2014 1:05:50 PM

5. I'm not one for perpetuating stereotypes but I Kinda find this guy funny as hell lol. There are gay people like this and there apparently some straight guys who are this camp so I'm not gonna hate on the colbert report.

Posted by: westy | Feb 21, 2014 1:08:41 PM

6. Crispy, actually I've heard he's straightly hard.

Posted by: Acronym Jim | Feb 21, 2014 1:10:35 PM

7. Actually the Buddy Cole reports on Colbert have talked about things that matter, they've just done it through comedy. The trip to the "protest zone," for instance, was funny but it also made a serious point.

And, yes, while Colbert is straight, Scott Thompson certainly isn't. No privilege there. He's also brilliantly in control of this character and the stereotype. Quite an extraordinary comeback for Buddy--now more beloved than ever!

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 21, 2014 1:20:29 PM

8. Long Live Buddy Cole!!

Posted by: buddylover | Feb 21, 2014 1:20:36 PM

9. Buddy Cole is my hero. I bought the box set of Kids In the Hall last week and it was the best purchase I've made in a long time.

Posted by: Cakes | Feb 21, 2014 1:25:48 PM

10. "The trip to the "protest zone," for instance, was funny but it also made a serious point."

It shed light on the situation far better than anything I've seen in the main stream media.

Posted by: Dastius Krazitauc | Feb 21, 2014 1:35:56 PM

11. Buddy Cole is a stereotype of a stereotype, or stereotype squared. I wish there was (I know there is) a better, more serious way to communicate on the gay issues he "reports" on, but BC makes me laugh nonetheless and this is supposed to be comedy. Just sorry that this feeds into the preset mindset of a lot of viewers.

And boy do I understand his obsession with Jim, the guy you see for 2 seconds after the intro.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | Feb 21, 2014 1:39:37 PM

12. Nice mocking of queens.... Way to go Jon Stewart!!!

Posted by: styler | Feb 21, 2014 1:42:11 PM

13. I can't get enough of these Buddy Cole segments! Just Brilliant!

Posted by: Will | Feb 21, 2014 1:47:15 PM

14. "Way to go Jon Stewart!!!"

Go home. You're drunk.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 21, 2014 1:47:38 PM

15. If you can't tell the difference between Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, you probably also can't tell the difference between what's being mocked and what isn't.

Posted by: Ernie | Feb 21, 2014 1:48:22 PM

16. Buddy Cole was a character that existed long before the Daily Show. The schtick is that he's every dumb gay stereotype ramped up to ten. The character plays even more absurdly now than when Thompson debuted the character on Kids In The Hall.

Posted by: Gregoire | Feb 21, 2014 1:58:28 PM

17. Tinkerbelle, that wasn't Jim, that was Bode Miller!

I'm not sure we ever see Jim.

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 21, 2014 2:01:23 PM

18. I was too busy laughing my ass off at the tasseled pasties, when this segment aired, to notice that the Russian gays in the shot were covering their faces from the camera.

That's heartbreaking.

Posted by: FFS | Feb 21, 2014 2:07:41 PM

19. @GGRR: "Springtime for Hitler"

Posted by: John | Feb 21, 2014 2:32:35 PM

20. It's true. Only the gay Canadians travel.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 21, 2014 2:41:17 PM

21. That was pretty funny, I love Scott Thompson.

Posted by: ty | Feb 21, 2014 3:30:47 PM

22. I can't help but wonder if our gay Russian brother felt he was being mocked by American television. Being gay may still be a big joke in America, but in Russia it is deadly serious.

Posted by: James | Feb 21, 2014 4:21:17 PM

23. So people are being murdered and it's just a joke to some. You wouldn't "infiltrate" KKK rallies in the 60's to make fun of everything. It's serious and people are dying.

Posted by: reality | Feb 21, 2014 5:21:44 PM

24. Guys, it may be news to you, but Russians have a sense of humor too. They would also find this piece quite subversive.

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 21, 2014 5:38:11 PM

25. I love Buddy's night club ensemble.

Posted by: jarago | Feb 21, 2014 5:47:21 PM