Comments

1. ggrr says

I’m glad that our straight allies understand how to poke fun, but their privilege of being straight means that that’s all they ever seem to do : hurr hurr haha Putin bares his chest, he’s gay

They never talk about what actually matters. That we are dying and being harmed by religion and politics.

Would he have done a comedy like this about Jewish people in Nazi Germany?

I do have a sense of humor but these days, I’m kind of over the media either serving us diddly squat coverage over anti-gay hate OR COMEDY HOUR !! STARRING BIGOTS AND ‘DEM OL GAYS AT THE GAY BAR !! HAHA!

2. says

I’m not one for perpetuating stereotypes but I Kinda find this guy funny as hell lol. There are gay people like this and there apparently some straight guys who are this camp so I’m not gonna hate on the colbert report.

3. says

Actually the Buddy Cole reports on Colbert have talked about things that matter, they’ve just done it through comedy. The trip to the “protest zone,” for instance, was funny but it also made a serious point.

And, yes, while Colbert is straight, Scott Thompson certainly isn’t. No privilege there. He’s also brilliantly in control of this character and the stereotype. Quite an extraordinary comeback for Buddy–now more beloved than ever!

4. Cakes says

Buddy Cole is my hero. I bought the box set of Kids In the Hall last week and it was the best purchase I’ve made in a long time.

5. Dastius Krazitauc says

“The trip to the “protest zone,” for instance, was funny but it also made a serious point.”

It shed light on the situation far better than anything I’ve seen in the main stream media.

6. tinkerbelle says

Buddy Cole is a stereotype of a stereotype, or stereotype squared. I wish there was (I know there is) a better, more serious way to communicate on the gay issues he “reports” on, but BC makes me laugh nonetheless and this is supposed to be comedy. Just sorry that this feeds into the preset mindset of a lot of viewers.

And boy do I understand his obsession with Jim, the guy you see for 2 seconds after the intro.

7. says

If you can’t tell the difference between Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, you probably also can’t tell the difference between what’s being mocked and what isn’t.

8. Gregoire says

Buddy Cole was a character that existed long before the Daily Show. The schtick is that he’s every dumb gay stereotype ramped up to ten. The character plays even more absurdly now than when Thompson debuted the character on Kids In The Hall.

9. FFS says

I was too busy laughing my ass off at the tasseled pasties, when this segment aired, to notice that the Russian gays in the shot were covering their faces from the camera.

That’s heartbreaking.

10. James says

I can’t help but wonder if our gay Russian brother felt he was being mocked by American television. Being gay may still be a big joke in America, but in Russia it is deadly serious.

11. reality says

So people are being murdered and it’s just a joke to some. You wouldn’t “infiltrate” KKK rallies in the 60’s to make fun of everything. It’s serious and people are dying.

12. Edgar Carpenter says

Buddy Cole is a splendid example of classic gay humor. His performances operate on many levels simultaneously, and will totally go over the heads of those who are more comfortable with jokes or slapstick, or who think irony is what you do to dress shirts.

His trip to the protest zone in Sochi was amazing – and brave. His whole trip to Sochi is brave. I admire the Colbert staff enormously for doing such a thing, but Scott Thompson most of all for being so out there.

Scott Thompson is a hero to me – he’s always been much more subversive and courageous than most queer activists I know. I’m so glad to see him back on TV.