News | Olympics | Russia | Sochi Olympics | Sports

Gay Olympic Ski Jumper Won't Protest Russia's Anti-Gay Law: 'No One Cares'

Austrian veteran ski jumper Daniela Iraschko-Stolz, who we neglected to include in the talley of openly gay Olympians we published last week, says she won't make any public protest of Russia's anti-gay laws, NZ Newswire reports:

Iraxhko-stolzThe openly gay athlete, who got married last autumn, dominated the women's second training on the normal hill, showing she was ready to grab a historic first Olympic gold.

"I don't think it's a good idea to make protests here, no one cares," said the 30-year-old, who added her partner's name -- Stolz -- to hers upon marriage.

"To jump pretty good is also a statement."

"I'm together with my partner now and don't have any problems, not in Russia or with the Austrian federation. Ten years ago it was different," she recalled.

Comments

1. These are the Country Club Olympics and she's a privileged brat. Unless you live in the Swiss Alps, how many people can afford the equipment, coaching and access to skiiing? She's a stain.

Posted by: SteveDenver | Feb 9, 2014 3:33:08 PM

2. Austria, where gays still have subhuman status...

Posted by: litper | Feb 9, 2014 3:36:53 PM

3. The Austrians were never very bothered by their ally, Germany's, fascism, either.

Posted by: jmartindale | Feb 9, 2014 3:43:08 PM

4. @SteveDenver: there are mountains and a lot of skiing in Austria too, and you don't have to be privileged" to live close to a ski area. BTW, ski jumping uses skis that are more like cross country skis - the heel is not tied down, so the equipment may be cheaper as well.

Posted by: Bill | Feb 9, 2014 3:45:09 PM

5. These Olympics have been such a disappointment for gay rights protests so far. I guess no one - not even our 'fellow' gays and lesbians - cares about us.

Posted by: Sergio | Feb 9, 2014 3:46:11 PM

6. Another anti gay, gay person. She should join GOProud.

Posted by: FAEN | Feb 9, 2014 3:52:14 PM

7. Oh Daniela, I don't think it's a good idea to make two enemies instead of one.

Posted by: Anastasia Beaverhousen | Feb 9, 2014 4:02:10 PM

8. How can she ski jump with her head so far up her ass?

Posted by: bobbyjoe | Feb 9, 2014 4:09:57 PM

9. People like Daniella infuriate me and then I realize how utterly useless it is to say anything to her. If she doesn't understand the importance of speaking out by now she's never going to.

Is it disconnect? Lack of ability to feel apathy? Blinkered/privileged? Doesn't think about the Austrian LGBT who fought (like the Russian LGBT are doing now) to gain the rights she takes for granted. Marriage. Protection under law. As long as it's not affecting her directly she'll say nothing. 'Give Russia time' really? What about Nigeria? Uganda?

How much effort (time, money, energy, protests, election campaigns) did you personally put into the fight so that you could marry Daniella?

Weir meet your Austrian counterpart.

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 9, 2014 4:16:45 PM

10. "To jump pretty good is also a statement."

"I'm together with my partner now"......so phuck you all.
    There's no point whatever trying to reason or enlighten this dizzy self absorbed snow queen.
    Being gay, growing up gay, living life through what we have all been through, has been a journey of intense existential angst.....at least for me.

Just to read these words from a grinning complacent ignoramus gives me the shakes of rage. She has no concept of what has happened to get to live with her partner.
    Read some history, you Austrian harpie.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Feb 9, 2014 4:26:51 PM

11. Stunning how closely she resembles the gay Republican in America.

Posted by: Rodney Wollam | Feb 9, 2014 4:34:26 PM

12. Austria: the birthplace of selfish crass libertarianism.

Posted by: Jose Soto | Feb 9, 2014 4:34:33 PM

13. Blissfully naive. What a knave.

Posted by: Sean Maloney | Feb 9, 2014 4:43:02 PM

14. A Profile in privilege.

Posted by: Randy | Feb 9, 2014 4:51:18 PM

15. "I know Russia will go and make the right steps in the future and we should give them time."

How in heaven's name does she know that??
    Please, I've studied Russia for 40 years, and I'd love to know her sources!

Posted by: KevinVT | Feb 9, 2014 4:51:46 PM

16. The kind of person who did nothing must likely to get the rights she has, just rode on the backs of others who paved the way for her easy life, so obviously has zero compassion for what others are going through. Pampered, privileged and self centered. Oh yes please, please do the world a favor by winning a shiny prize no one but you will remember tomorrow.

That's what no one really cares about...whatever your name was.

Posted by: Michaelandfred | Feb 9, 2014 4:52:08 PM

17. Selfish lesbian.

Posted by: brian | Feb 9, 2014 5:04:43 PM

18. I wish her luck. Not everyone is ready to take an uncomfortable political stand when we'd like them to do so.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Feb 9, 2014 5:25:16 PM

19. Give it a rest, y'all. She's a skier. Her thing is sports. She is out. She's not a hypocrite. She's being herself.

Posted by: Rafa in Toronto | Feb 9, 2014 5:29:07 PM

20. "I don't think it's a good idea to make protests here, no one cares," It's not "no one cares" it's more "I don't care".

Posted by: gb | Feb 9, 2014 5:34:04 PM

21. "Her thing is sports." Being a jock does not mean you get a pass on your responsibility as a human being. There are plenty of other jocks--many of them straight--who recognize the injustice in Russia and are willing to speak out against it. The fact she is queer and blind to the cruelty of the Russian state, then makes callously self-serving remarks about the situation, makes her eminently suitable for criticism.

Posted by: rafa | Feb 9, 2014 5:38:12 PM

22. I made a post under the name "Rafa" just now in error. It was a response to that person's post.

Posted by: jmartindale | Feb 9, 2014 5:39:16 PM

23. She's both selfish and stupid.

Posted by: Jay | Feb 9, 2014 5:42:29 PM

24. "I've got mine, who cares about other people."

Posted by: homer | Feb 9, 2014 5:43:21 PM

25. She should join GOProud - she's already got the "F*ck you, I got mine" attitude down pat.

Posted by: FuryOfFirestorm | Feb 9, 2014 5:46:30 PM