Arizona | Discrimination | George Takei | News

BigGayDeal.com

George Takei: Boycott Arizona If Anti-Gay Bill Becomes Law

6a00d8341c730253ef00e55253d97e8834-640wi
George Takei has taken to his blog to blast lawmakers in Arizona for passing the state's anti-gay SB 1062 bill. Takei and husband Brad Altman own a home in the state.

In his open letter, Takei promises to boycott the state should Governor Jan Brewer sign the bill into law:

Brad and I have strong ties to Arizona. Brad was born in Phoenix, and we vacation in Show Low. We have close friends and relatives in the state and spend weeks there annually. We even attended the Fourth of July Parade in Show Low in 2012, looking like a pair of Arizona ranchers.

The law is breathtaking in its scope. It gives bigotry against us gays and lesbians a powerful and unprecedented weapon. But your mean-spirited representatives and senators know this. They also know that it is going to be struck down eventually by the courts. But they passed it anyway, just to make their hateful opinion of us crystal clear.

So let me make mine just as clear. If your Governor Jan Brewer signs this repugnant bill into law, make no mistake. We will not come. We will not spend. And we will urge everyone we know–from large corporations to small families on vacation–to boycott. Because you don’t deserve our dollars. Not one red cent.

And maybe you just never learn. In 1989, you voted down recognition of the Martin Luther King holiday, and as a result, conventions and tourists boycotted the state, and the NFL moved the Superbowl to Pasadena. That was a $500 million mistake.

So if our appeals to equality, fairness, and our basic right to live in a civil society without doors being slammed in our face for being who we are don’t move you, I’ll bet a big hit to your pocketbook and state coffers will.

Read the entire letter here.

Comments

1. I couldn't agree more....NOT one red cent! We get it...they hate us, they really hate us.

Posted by: excy | Feb 23, 2014 8:42:16 AM

2. Of course, we must boycott - there will be no alternative if the WW of the W dares to sign this trash bill.

Posted by: freak | Feb 23, 2014 8:42:36 AM

3. I've lived all over the U.S. and I received more anti-gay actions in AZ than anywhere else.. damage to my car, threats from neighbors, the list goes on and on. when I left that hellhole desert I swore I would never return. I don't expect Jan Brewer to do anything less than sign that Nazi law into order with a smile on her face.

Posted by: charlie | Feb 23, 2014 9:05:35 AM

4. I've lived all over the U.S. and I received more anti-gay actions in AZ than anywhere else.. damage to my car, threats from neighbors, the list goes on and on. when I left that hellhole desert I swore I would never return. I don't expect Jan Brewer to do anything less than sign that Nazi law into order with a smile on her face.

Posted by: charlie | Feb 23, 2014 9:05:36 AM

5. Oh, please, how is a boycott going to work? None of our other boycotts have worked. Those Sochi and Chi- Fil-A boycotts worked out just fine, didn't they? \sarcasm

Posted by: roger | Feb 23, 2014 9:19:49 AM

6. Well Roger....got any other ideas? One way or another this has left a bad taste in my mouth. I like the southwest of the USA but I will be damned if I am gracing that state with my presence....no tourist dollars will be coming their way.

Posted by: excy | Feb 23, 2014 9:34:57 AM

7. Agreed, take a stand. Don't worry Roger, you can sit it out. Taking a moral stand is not always about getting what you want, it can just be about doing the right thing regardless of the outcome.

Posted by: Critifur | Feb 23, 2014 9:36:23 AM

8. Boycotts are for cowards...you need to march and get arrested for your freedoms....

Posted by: styler | Feb 23, 2014 9:36:41 AM

9. The "Coors" boycott sure as hell worked. But your doubtless too young to remember that -- and too stupid to know how the Gay Rights movement has triumphed.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | Feb 23, 2014 9:52:11 AM

10. The more effective reaction would be to find out which businesses in AZ don't have any exclusionary policies and support them. Conversely, don't do business with the ones that do have such policies. Public pressure and lack of profits are the most effective weapons in this fight.

Posted by: John in BR | Feb 23, 2014 9:55:09 AM

11. I would would stop buying produce.

Posted by: AJ | Feb 23, 2014 10:01:06 AM

12. Roger:

There was no Chick Fil A boycott. You don't even know the story you are citing. And BTW, the negative publicity caused the CFA philanthropic arm to cease funding explicitly antigay groups.

Boycotts can and do work if they are organized and targeted and if there is a concrete objective. They fail when they are unfocused and without an end game.

Posted by: Dan | Feb 23, 2014 10:05:47 AM

13. Tourist dollars are needed by every state. By not visiting the state you will hurt them financially. Plus petitioning the NFL to do the right thing by not having a Super Bowl there would help matters for gays tremendously.

What's going to happen if Michael Sam is on one of the teams going to the Super Bowl and he's discriminated against? This law isn't just about gays, it's about all minorities. Gays, blacks, Hispanics, Asians-all minorities.

Posted by: Macmantoo | Feb 23, 2014 10:20:14 AM

14. I think we should state that the boycott ends either when this law is FULLY repealed by legislation (once the repeal is in effect), or two years after it is invalidated by a court. That is, even is a court throws it out immediately, there should be consequences.

Posted by: Gay Guy | Feb 23, 2014 10:23:47 AM

15. Where do you get your facts?...If boycotts rarely work for Christian groups why would they work for media wusses....

Posted by: styler | Feb 23, 2014 10:33:47 AM

16. Gays will still go to Arizona regardless....

Posted by: styler | Feb 23, 2014 10:37:24 AM

17. you can't see me, but i'm giving arizona the finger.

Posted by: normadesmond | Feb 23, 2014 11:06:20 AM

18. I live in Arizona. The threat of an economic boycott will get the attention of the business people. They are the ones who will pressure Jan Brewer to stop this nonsense.

Posted by: homer | Feb 23, 2014 11:15:44 AM

19. The problem is: the bigots WANT us to boycott AZ so they can pretend we don't exist.

The threat of losing the Super Bowl again might squeeze a veto from Brewer... but other than petty politics, I can't think of any other reason she wouldn't sign it.

I will boycott AZ. I used to go several times a year for friends and family... but it's not about 'sending a message'... it's about not being a hypocrite by supporting a state that discriminates.

Posted by: jexer | Feb 23, 2014 11:48:55 AM

20. Money talks and AZs business leaders don't want this bill anymore than the majority of educated citizens in the state. Good work mr sulu.

Posted by: Tristram | Feb 23, 2014 12:05:26 PM

21. There are desert cities that welcome us with open arms... in the Coachella Valley of California. Palm Springs makes billions from gay tourists, and I gladly spend my money there.
    I've never even stopped by Arizona since I was a kid, because the politics male it it clear it is not a welcoming place.

Posted by: GregV | Feb 23, 2014 1:21:50 PM

22. Did we boycott JC Penney? I don't recall.

Posted by: Blake | Feb 23, 2014 1:22:14 PM

23. @Gay Guy: if the proposed boycott starts immediately, you've missed a case for ending it. The legislature can't repeal it and the courts can't throw it out if the governor vetoes it.

We don't want to be in the position of the Mikado (in the G&S operetta) who tells some hapless villagers, "I know you didn't intend to execute the heir to the throne and that you were only trying to do my bidding and had only good intentions. But the law does not say anything about good intentions. It should, but it doesn't. You know how slovenly these acts are drawn. But don't worry. I'll have the law changed .... after your execution. What is the penalty for executing the heir to the thrown. It's something slow and lingering as I recall. Was it boiling oil or molten lead? I forget. When would be a good time? How about after lunch."

Posted by: Bill | Feb 23, 2014 1:39:36 PM

24. This law doesn't just apply to gays, it could be divorced people, men know wanting to serve women, blacks (children of Cain), birth control...anything that conflicts with a person's individual religious convictions.

Posted by: steve talbert | Feb 23, 2014 2:00:42 PM

25. I hope it doesn't come to a boycott. This law is unconstitutional and will be challenged in court. The problem is there are too many Mormons(who have been here since the 30's) who fancy themselves the pinnacle of morality.

Posted by: Ty | Feb 23, 2014 2:14:47 PM