Film and TV | Game of Thrones | Kit Harington

Kit Harington Shares The Secret Of His Abs

Kit Harington Pompeii

In stark contrast to the heavy coats and furs he wears as Jon Snow in HBO's Game of Thrones series, Kit Harington doffs the winter wear in exchange for a loincloth and arm guard for his role in Pompeii and accompanies the outfit with the perfect accessory of a shredded six pack. In his interview with Vanity Fair, Harington was generous enough to share the secret to his stomach, and it turns out it's a simple 4-part process. All that's required is a daily regimen of:

• An hour of lifting weights
  • An hour of cardio
  • Two hours of weapons training
  • An 1,800 calorie diet

Easy! As an added bonus, Harington's weapons training has improved his fighting performance on the set of Game of Thrones as well, so much so that director Neil Marshall called Pompeii director Paul W.S. Anderson to thank him personally.

We thank you too, Neil.

Comments

1. So......he starves himself basically. And all for art!

Posted by: joe bob | Feb 13, 2014 10:34:26 PM

2. 2,000 calories per day is about average for a man who isn't overweight and all that active. Debiting that by roughly a can of coke is hardly staving oneself, Joe Bob.

I'm bored, so I'll play pedantic blog comments guy for a bit. That "arm guard" could be considered a vambrace. Or, at least, it definitely would if it was crafted from mail or plate. I'm not entirely certain if the term still applies for leather.

Posted by: FFS | Feb 13, 2014 10:56:08 PM

3. 4 hours of strenuous physical activity isn't about average for a guy on 1800 calories a day. I may be wrong - not the first time - but I think that man is hungry. Nice abs tho.

Posted by: joe bob | Feb 13, 2014 11:06:41 PM

4. It doesn't seem fair. Kit has to do all that work and sacrifice and all we have to do is enjoy the beauty of his work.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 13, 2014 11:19:36 PM

5. Shouldn't the last line of the article be "We thank you too, Paul"?

Anyhow, having a high metabolism and being young helps too! I'm only 34 but I've noticed it's become a lot harder to stay defined compared to my teens and 20's.

And Kit Harrington is so so pretty. Definitely easy on the eyes and I can't wait for the new season of GoT.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 13, 2014 11:26:47 PM

6. How can you build and sustain that much muscle bulk doing that much cardio and activity, yet only consuming 1800 calories per day?

Posted by: Javier | Feb 13, 2014 11:47:13 PM

7. Exactly. He's hungry. Supporting all that physical activity, muscle tone, etc., is going to require much more than 1,800 calories a day.

Posted by: Marco | Feb 13, 2014 11:54:17 PM

8. Ah, so that's my problem. I've only been doing one hour of weapons training.

Posted by: OddBet | Feb 14, 2014 12:02:20 AM

9. So, lifting my fat ass out of bed, getting chased by my neighbor's dog, eating 1,800 cals worth of milk and cookies and all I need to do is start playing lawn darts and I can look like that guy? Piece of cake!

Posted by: parkrunner | Feb 14, 2014 12:39:35 AM

10. @Javier, we all have abdominal muscles, of course some have them stronger than others. But by restricting your caloric intake as Kit has been doing, you don't have the layers of fat that hide your abdominal muscles from appearing. In my teens and 20's I could eat whatever I wanted and still be shredded but now I have to watch what I eat and do more cardio. Sucks but that is aging for you!

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Feb 14, 2014 1:22:45 AM

11. Shirtless straight white guy? Gay news, ladies and gentlemen!

Posted by: theo | Feb 14, 2014 2:01:29 AM

12. 4 hours a day?

That's impossible if you work a fulltime job.

Posted by: MaryM | Feb 14, 2014 3:19:48 AM

13. Sorry. I'm ugly and I like food.

Posted by: Jerry | Feb 14, 2014 5:16:09 AM

14. Doesn't matter. Egret will still whoop his ass again in round 2.

Posted by: RayJacksonMS2 | Feb 14, 2014 8:00:46 AM

15. 4 hours of work out/training and 1800 calories a day to get this physique? Society's image of beauty and the logistics to attain it in the modern world is seriously misaligned.

Posted by: andy3433 | Feb 14, 2014 8:15:16 AM

16. Yes, boys, you too can have THIS body if you work out 4 hours and starve yourself on 1800 calories a day!

Keep in mind, folks, that IS his job. My job is to sit on my "growing larger by the year" ass, in front of a computer screen for 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. Though I DO try an limit myself to 1800 calories a day.

Yes, you TOO can have a fat ass if you followed my regimen!

Posted by: Rad | Feb 14, 2014 8:17:47 AM

17. I love how people say "1800 calories a day is starving oneself" as an excuse to have a second donut.

Posted by: Hrm | Feb 14, 2014 8:40:45 AM

18. I wonder what he's eating and how much he weighs? He's 5'10 and definitely over 175 lbs. That much cardio and lifting would not be sustained by that many calories with his physique. He'd be a bag of bones.

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Feb 14, 2014 9:20:07 AM

19. 1800 calories a day isn't starving someone, and depending on how strenuous his cardio is, he may not even be burning that many calories with an hour of cardio. People think they need way more calories than they do. At 5'10", to weight 150 lbs., which puts him smack dab in the middle of the ideal BMI range, he'd be put on a diet of 1,200 to 1,500 calories/day for fat loss, increased incrementally for intense workouts.

If you think you can't be full on that kind of diet, you aren't eating enough vegetables and complex carbohydrates.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 14, 2014 9:24:11 AM

20. Whitneyisadude, you'd probably be shocked to learn he might not be 175 lbs. at all. People photograph and film bigger than they are in real life. He's ripped, and chances are, he's 10 or 15 lbs. less than you think.

Posted by: Joe | Feb 14, 2014 9:29:00 AM

21. Wow, starving and gym. But he looks good.

Posted by: Matt27 | Feb 14, 2014 9:36:15 AM

22. Attn Film Critics: I'll go to that movie no matter what you say.

Posted by: JonnyNYNY2FLFL | Feb 14, 2014 9:52:08 AM

23. Saw an advance screening of "Pompeii" last week; despite Harrington's abs and Keifer Sutherland's campy villainy, it's pretty much crap.

And this report leads me to ask: would Roman gladiators really have looked this ripped back then? I suspect they spent more time on weapons training than on weights and cardio, and I'm sure they ate more that 1800 calories a day.

Posted by: Joseph | Feb 14, 2014 10:05:56 AM

24. You can eat as many calories as you like as long as you eat NO starchy carbs: mountains of veggies, lots of lean meat: no bread, cake, candy, beer, potatoes.

On 1800 calories a day, I'd waste away to a very ripped skeleton. Think Smeagol.

You can have brown rice and oatmeal and that is IT.

Posted by: Murgatroid | Feb 14, 2014 10:30:59 AM

25. Whether he's "starving" or not depends on what he's eating, both for whether he's eating filling foods and whether he's eating foods high in nutrients. Although, he could make up for deficits with supplements without adding too many calories.

Posted by: Garst | Feb 14, 2014 3:18:04 PM