Kit Harington Shares The Secret Of His Abs

Kit Harington Pompeii

In stark contrast to the heavy coats and furs he wears as Jon Snow in HBO's Game of Thrones series, Kit Harington doffs the winter wear in exchange for a loincloth and arm guard for his role in Pompeii and accompanies the outfit with the perfect accessory of a shredded six pack. In his interview with Vanity Fair, Harington was generous enough to share the secret to his stomach, and it turns out it's a simple 4-part process. All that's required is a daily regimen of:

• An hour of lifting weights
  • An hour of cardio
  • Two hours of weapons training
  • An 1,800 calorie diet

Easy! As an added bonus, Harington's weapons training has improved his fighting performance on the set of Game of Thrones as well, so much so that director Neil Marshall called Pompeii director Paul W.S. Anderson to thank him personally.

We thank you too, Neil.

Comments

1. FFS says

2,000 calories per day is about average for a man who isn’t overweight and all that active. Debiting that by roughly a can of coke is hardly staving oneself, Joe Bob.

I’m bored, so I’ll play pedantic blog comments guy for a bit. That “arm guard” could be considered a vambrace. Or, at least, it definitely would if it was crafted from mail or plate. I’m not entirely certain if the term still applies for leather.

2. joe bob says

4 hours of strenuous physical activity isn’t about average for a guy on 1800 calories a day. I may be wrong – not the first time – but I think that man is hungry. Nice abs tho.

3. SpaceCadet says

Shouldn’t the last line of the article be “We thank you too, Paul”?

Anyhow, having a high metabolism and being young helps too! I’m only 34 but I’ve noticed it’s become a lot harder to stay defined compared to my teens and 20’s.

And Kit Harrington is so so pretty. Definitely easy on the eyes and I can’t wait for the new season of GoT.

4. parkrunner says

So, lifting my fat ass out of bed, getting chased by my neighbor’s dog, eating 1,800 cals worth of milk and cookies and all I need to do is start playing lawn darts and I can look like that guy? Piece of cake!

5. SpaceCadet says

@Javier, we all have abdominal muscles, of course some have them stronger than others. But by restricting your caloric intake as Kit has been doing, you don’t have the layers of fat that hide your abdominal muscles from appearing. In my teens and 20’s I could eat whatever I wanted and still be shredded but now I have to watch what I eat and do more cardio. Sucks but that is aging for you!

6. andy3433 says

4 hours of work out/training and 1800 calories a day to get this physique? Society’s image of beauty and the logistics to attain it in the modern world is seriously misaligned.

7. Rad says

Yes, boys, you too can have THIS body if you work out 4 hours and starve yourself on 1800 calories a day!

Keep in mind, folks, that IS his job. My job is to sit on my “growing larger by the year” ass, in front of a computer screen for 16 hours a day, 6 days a week. Though I DO try an limit myself to 1800 calories a day.

Yes, you TOO can have a fat ass if you followed my regimen!

8. Joe says

1800 calories a day isn’t starving someone, and depending on how strenuous his cardio is, he may not even be burning that many calories with an hour of cardio. People think they need way more calories than they do. At 5’10”, to weight 150 lbs., which puts him smack dab in the middle of the ideal BMI range, he’d be put on a diet of 1,200 to 1,500 calories/day for fat loss, increased incrementally for intense workouts.

If you think you can’t be full on that kind of diet, you aren’t eating enough vegetables and complex carbohydrates.

9. Joe says

Whitneyisadude, you’d probably be shocked to learn he might not be 175 lbs. at all. People photograph and film bigger than they are in real life. He’s ripped, and chances are, he’s 10 or 15 lbs. less than you think.

10. Joseph says

Saw an advance screening of “Pompeii” last week; despite Harrington’s abs and Keifer Sutherland’s campy villainy, it’s pretty much crap.

And this report leads me to ask: would Roman gladiators really have looked this ripped back then? I suspect they spent more time on weapons training than on weights and cardio, and I’m sure they ate more that 1800 calories a day.

11. Murgatroid says

You can eat as many calories as you like as long as you eat NO starchy carbs: mountains of veggies, lots of lean meat: no bread, cake, candy, beer, potatoes.

On 1800 calories a day, I’d waste away to a very ripped skeleton. Think Smeagol.

You can have brown rice and oatmeal and that is IT.

12. says

Whether he’s “starving” or not depends on what he’s eating, both for whether he’s eating filling foods and whether he’s eating foods high in nutrients. Although, he could make up for deficits with supplements without adding too many calories.

13. Topol says

Hugh Jackman has talked about diet and exercise to look shredded, as Wolverine. Mainly, he mentioned dehydrating yourself to show the muscles, and then taking a hit of sugar water, which apparently causes the blood to pump and the muscles to expand, hence the vein effect.

He admits it’s not a healthy thing to do.