Mormon Grandma Freaks Out About the Gay Agenda in Disney’s ‘Frozen’

Frozen

Frozen, Disney's latest CGI offering for families, has been met with critical and financial success, its song "Let It Go" has over 100 million views on YouTube, and has achieved a level of penetration into the collective cultural consciousness that the house of mouse hasn't seen in quite some time. Despite most viewers generally regarding the film somewhere between "Ok" and "Amazing", one Mormon grandmother took grave exception to the film and wrote on her website Well-Behaved Mormon Woman an excessively lengthy blog post about how Frozen is promoting the gay agenda.

Yes, really.

FrozenAmong the film's evidently many pro-gay subtexts are:

Elsa has a great power that she has been taught by her parents from the time she was a child, is not publicly acceptable and that she must fear its expression, at all cost, thus hide it from people, even her own sister who could be hurt by it – even killed. Shame is at the core of Elsa's feelings about her magical powers: same-sex attraction.

Even "Let It Go" doesn't escape condemnation:

The words to "Let it Go" are clearly not Christian-values friendly, by any stretch of the imagination, when understood and heard. This is not an innocent song, with a catchy tune. It is rebellious. It mocks moral absolutes. It is careless. It is unaccountable. It is anti-obedience. It is regardless. It is selfish. And if you still disagree, then by all means, feel free to show me how I've misinterpreted the lyrics.

Never mind that most of all Disney films use some form of rebellion as the driving force behind the story. However, it's all ok, because she's totally not anti-gay:

Let me be very clear about one thing, I am not anti-gay nor am I here to judge homosexuals not worthy of their rightful and respectful place among society. However, I draw the line at the idea of redefining traditional marriage to include homosexual relationships, as equal.

Obviously the film is telling the story of the outsider, a trope that films and books have used since time immemorial with the X-Men films being one of the more recent examples, and homosexuals happen to fit nicely in to. Somehow, though, Frozen telling that story is secretly gay indoctrination, as one poor father discovered when he realized that the movie totally completely turned his son homo.

Case in point, I took Will to see Frozen about a month ago. He loved it. He started singing all the songs like “Let It Go,” at the top of his lungs. I thought it was adorable — until WBMW peeled back the onion to reveal it as a gay anthem (It’s time to see what I can do / To test the limits and break through / No right, no wrong, no rules for me / I’m free). Might as well throw a headdress on him and make him sing YMCA!

Comments

1. woodroad34d says

You know she’s a frightened old woman…she sounds like my aunt–an extremely devout Baptist– who became increasingly fearful and tremendously focused on the scourge of out of wedlock babies back in the 70’s; she ended up dying of alzheimers. This woman will find something bad in anything…if gays weren’t so prominent, it would be something else. She may be old, but she’s far from mature.

2. Darrell says

Actually, we discussed this in my Women in the History of U.S. Film class and how a Queer Theory reading the film definitely affirms the queer way in which one can interpret the film. However, to dispute this woman, nowhere in the films did it ever imply her parents taught her her powers, just that she developed them.

3. TurnAround says

I imagine that ‘poor’ father and mormon grandmother in straightjackets…

Homophobes don’t get to define homophobia or have the last say on identifying homophobes.

‘I’m not a homophobe but…’

‘I’m not anti-gay but…’

‘I have gay friends and…’

Those lines only work on other homophobes; when will they learn that?

4. Tigernan says

What an ass. “I draw the line!” Well, good for you, Grandma. Unfortunately for you, you and your book of fairy tales (ironically) have no bearing on our secular society.

5. crashops says

The irony is that gay people have been doing this for decades: desperately searching mainstream pop culture product for subtext and ways to relate. Our academics and critics made it an art form.(Parker Tyler anyone?) Now here comes hateful Mormon grandma doing the exact same thing, sniffing out teh ghey in every offering and finding evidence in smoke. Maybe grandma has a bitter secret…

6. Bart says

Every time people like this come up with this ridiculousness, their lunacy only makes their entire argument more pathetic and idiotic.

But my favorite line of this batshit loons starts, “However, I draw the line at the idea…” Oh, SHE draws the line. Nana, if you don’t like America, there’s a plenty of ways off the continent. I’m sure you kind of crazy would be happily accepted in many countries in Africa.

7. Mike says

@Christian Walters, and @Turnaround: If you read the link from the “poor father”, you can see his tongue is firmly in his cheek. Note also the comments on his blog and his linked article on reaching out to gay teens.

8. JJ says

I saw the movie, and…wow!…I did not take any such subtext. Her parents were completely supportive of her magic, and desperately wanted to help her learn to control it. Other than that, the movie was squarely heterocentric and heteronormative.

No, the lesson I took from it was that when Muslim terrorists do horrible things to us, it’s our own fault and we should apologize to the terrorists and appease them, because somehow they’re the victims for blowing us up and we’re the monsters!

9. says

OMGawd! The pathos. The irony.
    Not just a Mormon but a WELL BEHAVED Mormon Woman.

LOL. Yet again I’m in tears. You can’t make this stuff up.
    She sees gay people. And just to make sure she sat through it three times.

Her supporters and support comments are just as delusional. That’s some powerful gay magic we possess. Why did we bother fighting for 40 years?

Love one poor father’s 8 yr old.

10. BETTY says

Remember the old days when the bible thumpers would see a movie like that and get bent out of shape about the horrible evils of magic and call it witchcraft and equate it with satan? Now they get their panties in a bunch and blame the gays. Those poor dogooders need to put the bible down for a while and just go outside or something.

Well behaved mormon woman? No comment needed on that one.

11. Vint says

It’s about time someone sounded the clarion call against this demonic film, which apparently seeks to advance the “demonetization of homosexuals by society.”

Society should return to good Mormon values, in which homosexuals are treated as money.

12. Dw says

I’ve seen it twice, and my six year old boy has seen it 5(!!!) times. We watch scenes and songs on you tube nearly daily
    And yes – I absolutely read her ice queen scene as a double entendre for coming out. She plays as a lesbian to me. But her story is also one of rebellion and refusing to conform. It works on many levels
    I’ve been waiting for gays to take note of this in the media.
    Too bad it was a wacky Mormon who made it an issue first.

13. Vint says

@Betty- I think wife #3 does the cooking, and it’s #4 who scrubs the toilets. In a well-regulated Mormon household, it’s #5 who’s in charge of misinterpreting Disney films in the most paranoid psychotically disordered way possible.

14. Lexis says

I’m not sure. She might have a point ..lol! After all, isn’t “Frozen” based on Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen”? There’s an article about Andersen at the GLBTQ Encyclopedia. Sounds like scholars find something queer in quite a few of his works.

Quote: “Many of the fairy tales may be read as queer allegories, and some are clearly autobiographical. For instance, “The Little Mermaid” was written after a crisis Andersen suffered in 1836 at the marriage of Edvard Collin, who may have been the love of Andersen’s life but who refused to play the part of his romantic soulmate.”

15. fanboi says

He blog is Titles a “Well Behaved Morman Woman”… of COURSE she would have a problem with Elsa’s empowerment. Else basically decided to be who she is despite the judgment of her elders and peers – that is not the behavior of a “well behaved” woman. She can’t stand the idea that future generations might cast off their uncomfortably confining Morman underwear.

16. gr8guyca says

People like this will see a gay sub-text in anything:

Snow White: the Seven Dwarves are not attracted to Snow White. Enough said.

Goldilocks: Three bears. Sounds like a menage a trois in P’town.

Cinderella: Isn’t “Fairy Godmother” a euphemism for a lesbian attraction?

17. NotSafeForWork says

“I am not anti-gay nor am I here to judge homosexuals…”

“I draw the line at the idea of redefining traditional marriage to include homosexual relationships, as equal.”

^^ Delusions of a bigot.

18. Jon says

What the mormon grandmother seems to forget is the traditional Mormon marriage looks nothing like legal same-sex marriage today. Her new one man-one woman concept of “traditional marriage” is 120 years old and still not fully accepted in the LDS faith.

19. albertam says

this theme is called growing up either stay in the background and do nothing or stand out and be noticed its a choice withers its on values or traditional, or breaking away from the long straight rule, its mocks nothing but only mocks the close minded people who cant let go of religious egos. its time to show your true shelf or stay in the dark background and watch as the world passes you by.

20. says

“As a Mormon I want my grandkids to see film where women have traditional subservient roles, do what men tell them, and marry whomever their parents tell them to marry! I’m sick of Disney and Pixar and all these family studios being in cahoots and telling my grandkids that they can write their own stories, forge their own destinies and defy the prejudiced expectations that surround them. I’m a Mormon grandma, and if there’s one thing I don’t want to see in children’s films is messages about being yourself!”

21. tinkerbelle says

Crappy movie, uninteresting song. Besides the animation where the female characters all looked like they were rhinoplastyed but someone forgot the chin implants, the only attractive character was the nordic hunk. How gay is that? That song (Let It Go?) — blandness supreme — and I don’t see the gay storyline at all. You would have to be really looking to find the parallels. It could refer to anything (adolescent angst, not getting your fix, whatever).

That said, anyone that is obsessed enough to search out and attack supposed gay symbology in popular culture definitely has personal gay issues themselves. This granny is probably a closet case.

22. Mark says

Judah was a young man with hidden powers. He lived with and loved his friend John. Judah never never had a girlfriend and he and John lived in a commune with other men. Judah’s mom forbade him from showing or using his powers until he was in his 30’s. Before he died, Judah moved John into his moms house to live with her as her son. Today we call Judah “Jesus”.

23. says

These are the condemnative rantings of an unrealized woman who assented (chose) long ago to forfeit her own mind and thought for a cookie-cutter dogma itself mired in a fiction of nonexistent planets and cities, magic glasses and underwear more outlandish than this inspiring Disney tale. She would have us all believe that thinking and feeling for ourselves according to our own consciences is somehow “selfish”, “disobedient” and “disrespectful”. Her assertion of the very notion that “moral absolutes” even exist is laughable, from a member of a church that taught until recent times that Black people are dark-skinned because they were thieves and robbers in some pre-existent spirit world and were marked with the curse of dark skin. It has probably never occurred to her that imposing her dogma on the rest of us who live in civil society is a kind of violence; certainly a violation of our religious liberty to live free from someone else’s religious bigotry and hatred. She has had it her way for so long now with license to rape secular society with her diseased dogma, she is blind to the fact that she and her kind are the group accorded with special rights and they are angry over the incremental loss of their illegal, unconstitutional privileges.