Basketball | Jason Collins | NBA | News | Sports

NBA to Sell Jason Collins Brooklyn Nets Jerseys, Calls Demand for Them 'Unprecedented'

Collins

The NBA will soon do something uncommon for a player signed to a 10-day contract: sell that player's jersey.

But there is "unprecedented" demand for apparel bearing the name of Jason Collins, the first openly gay player in the NBA, the NYT reports:

On Monday, inquiries by those eager to buy a Nets jersey with Collins’s name started to multiply. On Tuesday, Collins jerseys will go on sale at the N.B.A.’s retail shop in Manhattan and at NBAstore.com.

Collins’s jersey number of choice is 98, in honor of Matthew Shepard, a gay college student from Wyoming who was murdered in 1998. But on Sunday, when the Nets acted quickly to get Collins in uniform for a game against the Los Angeles Lakers, they had to resort to a generic jersey the team travels with in case of emergencies.

As a result, Collins wore No. 46 in the Nets’ 108-102 victory over the Lakers, a game in which he logged 11 minutes, grabbed two rebounds and finished with an impressive plus-8 for his time on the court. On Tuesday, Collins will get to have his first practice with his new teammates. On Wednesday, he will presumably be wearing a No. 98 uniform in Portland against the Trail Blazers.

According to the NBA, fans will be able to buy Collins apparel online starting today.

Comments

1. The times they are a changing. Thank goodness

Posted by: Jaysonn | Feb 25, 2014 1:53:53 PM

2. Buy it here:

Posted by: Bill | Feb 25, 2014 1:57:18 PM

3. Just ordered one. Quite the proud moment even if it's only for 10 days. next up hopefully will be a Michael Sam's jersey. I ordered one to show support and show the NBA and eventually the NFL that Gay players will make them money. I'll wear it to work out proudly in.

Posted by: dorishin | Feb 25, 2014 2:06:48 PM

4. 'Unprecedented' demand. Love it.
    For a player at the end of his career on a 10day contract.
    Lot of angles to a game of sports. Right NBA? NFL?

Posted by: SERIOUSLY | Feb 25, 2014 2:11:25 PM

5. I always said it's about selling jerseys and caps....smart move..

Posted by: styler | Feb 25, 2014 2:14:02 PM

6. I'm ready to by my Michael Sams shirt once he's signed to the amazing San Francisco 49ers. :)

Posted by: SFshawn | Feb 25, 2014 2:53:17 PM

7. No, not the 49ers!!!

KJ @ Seattle :-)

Posted by: KJ | Feb 25, 2014 4:53:19 PM

8. That's freakin' incredible (his first game AND the jerseys).

Posted by: zeddy | Feb 25, 2014 5:02:01 PM

9. Just ordered one too! So great - I hope they sell out. I will really out-gay myself and wear it when I run in my Nike BeTrue running shoes! :)

Posted by: C.J. | Feb 25, 2014 5:19:21 PM

10. I just ordered one and was told that it won't ship until March 6. Hope that means it's selling well.

Posted by: Tom in SFBA | Feb 25, 2014 5:57:58 PM

11. In Numerology 46=4+6=10=1+0=1. Jason Collins was the first.#1.

Posted by: gb | Feb 25, 2014 6:12:59 PM

12. Just ordered one too and ship date is March 6th. I'm hoping this means they are having to keep up with demand. Can't wait to wear it as I train for my first Tough Mudder, us Gays are everywhere these days

Posted by: RONTEX | Feb 25, 2014 6:18:14 PM

13. I'll order one when they sign him to a full contract. As glad as I am that he is getting this shot, I am not going to support what could simply be a publicity stunt.

Posted by: Azgaard | Feb 27, 2014 6:50:15 PM

14. @ AZGAARD: This has already moved well-beyond the "publicity stunt" stage.

Posted by: Daniel Berry, NYC | Feb 28, 2014 10:41:01 AM