Pennsylvania | Religion

Pennsylvania Church Revokes Membership Of Gay Worshipper Out Of Love

Ambassadors Bible Chapel

20-year-old Bobbie Pierce had been a member of Ambassador's Bible Chapel in Newberry Township, Pennsylvania his entire life. Now, though he is still allowed to attend services, he is a member no longer after church elders including Pastor David Slautterback decided that church discipline was needed when Pierce chose not to renounce his homosexuality, the York Daily Record reports.

PierceSaid Slautterback:

I do not believe that a homosexual person has to be homosexual any more than I believe that a person who is inclined to steal steals[...]We placed Bobbie under church discipline out of love for Bobbie and regard for his soul.

Pierce is less concerned with his soul and more about the lives of other gay youths and wants them to know that they are not alone.

I've heard so many stories of someone who is homosexual who has a strict Christian family, who commits suicide.

Pierce still attends his church. He takes his wheelchair-bound grandmother there weekly, and despite the actions of Pastor Slautterback he still feels at home there.

The members of the church are like a family. That's where I grew up. Even with the non-acceptance of homosexuality, it's still my church where I felt comfortable.

Comments

1. What can you say to someone who chooses to subject himself to this christian "love"?

Posted by: freak | Feb 4, 2014 8:42:54 PM

2. That sounds like a serious case of Stockholm syndrome. I'll stay even though they think I'm a dirty sinner. Religion brainwashes another one.

Posted by: Ryan | Feb 4, 2014 8:45:35 PM

3. When he finds a husband, they won't be going to a church (at least not this church) anymore.

Posted by: Gay Guy | Feb 4, 2014 8:46:55 PM

4. "Strict" Christian families aren't Christian at all. They are really Jews still living under the old covenant of rules and law. Real Christians live under the New Covenant of God's Grace, Love and Forgiveness. Paid for by Jesus's sacrifice and resurrection.

Posted by: Art | Feb 4, 2014 9:10:58 PM

5. Baby, you know this is more painful for me than it is for you. Why do you always make me hit you?

Posted by: FFS | Feb 4, 2014 9:11:06 PM

6. "I do not believe that a homosexual person has to be homosexual" and I do not believe that an ignorant person has to remain ignorant. One of these beliefs is wrong. I do not believe that Slauterback is a christian or a pastor. He is a snake-oil salesman who hides behind religion.

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Feb 4, 2014 9:21:01 PM

7. Hate the sin, love the sinner... and treat him hatefully so he knows how much we love him.

Posted by: MajorTom | Feb 4, 2014 9:25:19 PM

8. Mighty Christian of them.

Posted by: Book | Feb 4, 2014 9:36:10 PM

9. Above all I'm just impressed by what a kind soul this man has. Taking his wheel-chair bound grandmother there weekly!

Posted by: GJP | Feb 4, 2014 9:48:08 PM

10. poor thing looks a mess
    when was the last time that hair was washed?
    must be all the hate being directed at him -

Posted by: j | Feb 4, 2014 9:51:09 PM

11. OK, I've officially been watching too many episodes of Supernatural on Netflix, because it looks like someone tried to chop the guy's head off. Are those blood stains?

Posted by: GeoffreyPS | Feb 4, 2014 10:04:11 PM

12. Obviously if you believe that this life is the be-all and end-all of human existence, then you will think that what this church has done is inexcusable and hateful. However, if you believe (as the Bible teaches) that this brief life is but the beginning of eternity for each person, and you believe that the Bible teaches that it's a "mortal sin" to engage in same-sex sexual activity and promote that as acceptable and live in it, then the most loving thing for that church is to discipline that church member. Why? Because where one spends eternity is a MUCH bigger deal than some hardships (e.g. - celibacy) to be endured in this brief life.

It really all hinges on that issue, and that then defines what is "the loving thing to do."

Posted by: Jon | Feb 4, 2014 10:37:41 PM

13. It just makes you want to gauge your eyeballs out!

Posted by: TampaZeke | Feb 4, 2014 10:39:52 PM

14. Sad. Grow a pair and leave fairytales to children.

Posted by: Logan | Feb 4, 2014 10:40:52 PM

15. @CJP: I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Posted by: andrew | Feb 4, 2014 10:50:40 PM

16. That "church" sounds like it's full of dumb Protestant hicks who wouldn't know true Christianity if it fell on their heads.

Posted by: Thomas | Feb 4, 2014 11:02:22 PM

17. If he is no longer a member, he doesn't have to tithe. He should keep going, take whatever he gets out of it, and give them nothing.

Posted by: Sam | Feb 4, 2014 11:04:03 PM

18. He obviously is still going to the church for the sake of his wheelchair bound grandmother...

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 4, 2014 11:13:38 PM

19. He obviously is still going to the church for the sake of his wheelchair bound grandmother...

Posted by: Brian in Texas | Feb 4, 2014 11:13:39 PM

20. I've never met a single atheist who was more hateful, unkind, or inconsiderate than most of the so-called christians I've known, and there have been many.

I feel very sad for anyone whose primary social outlet is at a church.

Posted by: sparks | Feb 4, 2014 11:36:26 PM

21. "...it's still my church where I felt comfortable."

Clueless. Completely clueless.

Posted by: Tatts | Feb 4, 2014 11:40:34 PM

22. That poor guy needs help with his self-esteem.
    I would also take my grandmother if she asked me to, but I sure wouldn't subject myself to that kind of "love."

Posted by: Jonty Coppersmith | Feb 4, 2014 11:55:49 PM

23. Bobbie, they aren't your family. I am not a religious person, but I do know there are other church denominations that are welcoming and accepting of gay people and won't judge you. They will welcome you with open arms and act like true christians.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 4, 2014 11:59:22 PM

24. Family stick up for one another, support one another. Real family values is what you are doing for your wheelchair bound grandmother. Family would love you unconditionally, try to understand you.

You may call these people your family, but it is clear that they don't regard you as part of their family. Why would you persist? If they were truly supportive of you, they would not have permitted the church leadership to revoke your membership. That is what true family would do. They stand by you.

Posted by: atomic | Feb 5, 2014 12:32:16 AM

25. J and GEOFFREYPS: It's bad enough this poor guy has been judged by so-called christians and a community he thought was his family. Do we as a community have to turn around and do the same thing? Don't stoop to their level. Btw it is obviously facial hair and a bad resolution pic. Grow up.

Posted by: BETTY | Feb 5, 2014 1:00:11 AM