Comments

1. Jack M says

As long as PR are in Russia, they will be hounded and persecuted. Better for them to seek asylum elsewhere.

2. Gregory In Seattle says

And the IOC is perfectly happy with this, as long as it preserves the illusion that everything is peachy-keen in Olympicland.

3. says

I don’t understand why they would (1) return to Russia and (2) want to remain in Russia. Martyrdom? Pack it up and go. You can have music careers in any other country of your choosing.

4. Leonard says

I don’t think they’re trying to make it big as pop stars or place their safety ahead of their political actions.

The Daily Show had a great piece on Russian gays staying or leaving Russia because of the persecution. A gay Russian man told Jason Jones that he’d rather stay in Russia and change the laws from the inside and cure Russians of their ignorance on LGBT issues.

I think the same is true for PR. They’re a punk rock group that wants to change Russian politics and place a spotlight on the injustices and corruption within Russia. Leaving Russia isn’t a part of that plan.

I just say, good luck! They have bigger balls than I.

5. Graphicjack says

I shudder to think what’s going to happen once the Olympics are finished… Brace yourselves for some heartbreaking stories…

6. Mike B. says

They aren’t a band. They are activists who use music as a tool for their activism.

They stay because they’re trying to improve their country, their homeland. We don’t all pack up and move when elections don’t go our way, because we hope it will get better. (Also, because we’re not detained and beaten.)

These are very brave people, and I hope they achieve what they are fighting for.

7. Mike B. says