Daniel Baer | Russia | Sochi Olympics | Stephen Colbert

Stephen Colbert Reports on the Gay Extremist Threat to Sochi: VIDEO

Sochi_colbert

Last night, Stepehen Colbert did a big report on the gay extremist terrorist threat to the Sochi Olympics, and sent correspondent Buddy Cole to interview gay U.S. Ambassador Dan Baer and find out about Russia's anti-gay laws.

In a hilarious interview, Cole grilled Baer on his responsibilities and perks as an ambassador, whether his parents know he's gay, and what exactly is Russia's anti-gay law. Cole also asks whether wearing a rainbow shirt will get him arrested, and how many zippers one could have on an outfit before appearing too gay. And are buttons better than zippers?

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Baer_cole

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive

The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive

Comments

1. Wow, this harkens back to my youth when "Kids in the Hall" were all the rage. I loves me some Scott Thompson aka Buddy Cole. I don't watch the Colbert Report, does this character recur on this show?

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Feb 11, 2014 11:12:13 AM

2. Sooooo Paul Lynde! I generally dislike such funnery but Buddy Cole is very good (and the Ambassador is a cutey!!)

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Feb 11, 2014 11:16:06 AM

3. Read "Buddy Babylon: The Autobiography of Buddy Cole" if you haven't--laugh out loud hilarious.
    Curiously enough, Buddy Cole came first... but I got so many shades of Jiminy Glick in this clip. Never noticed a similarity before.

Posted by: Artie | Feb 11, 2014 11:44:05 AM

4. Whoa, total Kids in the Hall flashback.

As far as I know, this is the first time he's appeared on The Colbert Report. Pretty genius reviving this character to cover the Sochi games.

Scott Thompson is currently on the TV show Hannibal.

Posted by: crispy | Feb 11, 2014 12:06:38 PM

5. Dan Baer should give lessons to others who get interviewed for "The Daily" or "Colbert Report." He was unflappable and side-stepped most of the embarrassing questions. Nice to see a diplomat who is actually diplomatic.

And, as others have noted, very cute.

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 11, 2014 1:30:38 PM

6. Oops. "The Daily Show."

Posted by: gr8guyca | Feb 11, 2014 1:31:11 PM

7. When the heck did Buddy become a US citizen?

Posted by: Randy | Feb 11, 2014 1:38:57 PM

8. He's Colbert's correspondent for the Olympics. He was hilarious. The Ambassador was a great straight man, so to speak.

Posted by: parkrunner | Feb 11, 2014 1:59:31 PM

9. One additional question to Towleroad, will you add a Scott Thompson tag to this entry?

Posted by: WayneMPLS | Feb 11, 2014 2:04:20 PM

10. well, johnny weir is there and he's out buddy coles buddy cole

Posted by: woody | Feb 11, 2014 2:27:30 PM

11. Funny stuff ( a big fan of "Kids in the Hall) Mr Baer is prime husband material

Posted by: jarago | Feb 11, 2014 6:28:14 PM

12. Oh my..Mr Baer is indeed a hottie. Wonderin' if he's attached? probably so, darn.... :(

Posted by: tinhouston | Feb 11, 2014 6:34:17 PM

13. Could someone complete the blank please I didn't catch the joke !
    For my defense English is my third language.

Thanks guys !!

- So you believe people should be allowed to wear what they want?
    - I do
    - Ohh That's interesting !
    ...
    - Hopefully it's not a long one
    - I hope it's a thick !!!

Posted by: Pierre | Feb 11, 2014 7:59:28 PM

14. Nevermind, I got my answer.

Posted by: Pierre | Feb 12, 2014 6:06:53 PM

15. Scott Thompson should be bestowed with at least one fully blown (In-tend-ed!) honorary US citizenship, although, as I let this previously unspoken, unwritten and unthought-of thought flow out of me, I come up blank as to why that would be an honor these days! Yay, Oh Canada! Even though you Canadians completely lack the right to freedom of speech over which we Americans south of their border constantly confront one another. Oh golly, international comedy can be so trying at times!

Posted by: Thomas Cardellino | Feb 12, 2014 10:27:11 PM

16. Went to see Scott Thompson perform once at a comedy club. His encore involved running on stage completely naked and launching a rant on how he missed his foreskin.

Posted by: PalmettoDave | Feb 13, 2014 12:50:29 AM