Chick Fil-A CEO Wants To Put Anti-Gay Controversy Behind Him Though Beliefs Haven’t Changed

Despite the fact that the Cathy said in early 2011 that the company "would not champion any political agendas on marriage and family," in that same year the group’s anti-gay giving doubled.

In 2012 after Chick Fil-A executives promised to stop supporting anti-gay organizations, Cathy continued to show his support to anti-gay groups, and later stated that the company had never agreed to end its anti-gay funding at all.

Tastes_like_hateCathy also remained a vocal opponent of marriage equality. Most infamously in June of 2012, Cathy said the company was guilty as charged in its support of so-called pro-family and pro-marriage (re: anti-gay) organizations. A month later he told the Baptist Press, "We are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say 'we know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.’"

Cathy’s anti-gay comments compelled the failed Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee to launch a Chick Fil-A Appreciation Day, during which time the company experienced record profits. Meanwhile the company’s approval ratings plummeted.

After the June 2014 Supreme Court decisions negating Prop 8 and section 3 of the so-called Defense of Marriage Act, Cathy posted and then quickly deleted a tweet that read, "Sad day for our nation; founding fathers would be ashamed of our gen. to abandon wisdom of the ages re: cornerstone of strong societies."

The Atlanta Journal Constitution adds that earlier this month Think Progress reported that:

Chick Fil-A’s foundations — WinShape Foundation and its namesake Chick Fil-A Foundation — "dramatically" cut donations to groups gay marriage supporters consider anti-gay. WinShape sharply decreased grants overall, and the only group the Chick Fil-A Foundation gave money to that is considered by the gay rights community to be anti-gay is the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, which received $25,000.

So Chick Fil-A decreased its anti-gay funding while also decreasing its donations to all other groups. But no word as to whether the chain will still hire and fire employees based on their sinful personal lives.

Comments

1. says

Sorry. No matter how much the CEO grovels and the cash registers don’t ring, I personally hope the franchise collapses into the gutter. They won’t see a dime out of my pocket.

2. says

Dear Mr. Bigot, I understood the falsehood of “you need to respect my disrespect of you” when I was a child. I understand that for you and your Fox News Types you don’t understand nuance and your reading comprehension skills are nil, but that only underlines how pathetically wrong you are.

“I’m a bigot, but I want people to forget about it”

#wont

I will not now, nor will I ever, respect your inherently disrespectful opinion. Because I have a functioning brain and a backbone stronger than yours.

3. woody says

had it once when someone handed my one in montgomery, alabama and said I “had to try it.”
    it’s very bland.
    white meat on gummy white bread hamburger roll.
    it’s like eating nothing.

4. JonnyNYNY2FLFL says

This is exactly the message Morning Joe Scarborough has been preaching to Republicans for years. “Keep all your homophobic and rightwing social beliefs, but keep your mouth shut about them.”

That way, you can get votes (or customer dollars in Mr.Cathy’s case) from people whose rights you are fighting against.

5. *****overTX says

He is just afraid that people are eventually going to connect him and his money to the blood of gay people that is now and going to be spilled in the future in Uganda, and Russia, and the other places that he sponsors evangelical preachers. He is afraid that the spilled blood of gay people will be associated with his sandwiches. The spilled blood will not improve the taste of his nasty fried chicken.

6. Hey Darlin' says

“Probably the elements that were stressful for me most is from our internal staff and from operators and how this may be affecting them”

No kidding. You mean everyone doesn’t believe in some of the garbage you support. The independent franchise operators are caught with a public relations nightmare at the helm of a business they bought into. One can only imagine the avoidable stress THEY have been under.

7. Fester says

I have no respect for the opinion of anyone who wants to deny equality to a category of people. Many opinions are undeserving of respect.

8. Joe in Ct says

Whatever possessed Dan Cathy to make such a mealy mouthed statement when nothing has really changed? He was better off not saying anything. His comments only resurrect the controversy which, frankly, has never died away. I don’t know any gay people who will eat at Chick-fil-A.

Cathy claims to be a godly man, but he still has a bigot’s heart. This is not just a difference of opinion. Through his funding of religious hate groups he has actively worked against our civil rights.

9. mike1969 says

Go die a horrible and painful death ya bigot. Your crap food and your idiot employees do not deserve a dime from me.

10. says

Chick-fil-a’s donations to anti-gay organizations dropped by 99.2%. Although donations may have dropped across the bored, I sincerely doubt their overall donations dropped by that much in 2012. We need to keep an eye on the tax documents for at least the next few years.

A few things that are also worth noting:

– Boycotts *do* work. What has happened at Chick-fil-a shows it. The boycott initially started once word got out where CFA’s donations were going.
    – Dan Cathy and CFA desperately want the “anti-gay” label they fairly earned to be removed. Despite the fact that this gave them record breaking sales in 2012, they know that this is not good for long term business. If they hope to be successful in other regions outside of the Bible Belt, they can’t maintain this label… Obviously, they came to this realization after the boycott.

As a side note, I guess I should say that I am not encouraging people to start eating there again, but rather that it is worthwhile to speak with your wallets and boycott.

11. Gregory In Seattle says

Every item they sell puts money in his pocket. That money will still be donated to extremist bigot groups.

I still won’t eat there.

12. BrokebackBob says

He needs to put the controversy -inside him- not behind him, but he is free to use his behind if he wishes. Like the graffiti says: Tastes Like Hate! We got a brand new Chick-Fil-A in our city and the result is that it is doing poorly because I live in a major college town and the kids know the score.

13. Sergio says

Their anti-gay stance will haunt them until they close down. It’ll happen in the next decade, trust me.

14. The Milkman says

I will not respect a viewpoint that is bigoted, no matter how it’s justified.

And if I want a cheap fast-food chicken sandwich, I’ll go someplace else.

15. simon says

Funny never heard of these chicks and ducks before reading the news here. Probably this is a southern phenomenon.

16. Joel says

Also, this is the guy who went of Fox News to say that he preferred to hire married people as managers. Single people were more likely to leave.

Message clear: get people trapped in a crummy job because they have to support a family.

17. MarcusIT says

You know what would be great and save us time on all the I’m-not-a-homophobe Homophobic double talk?
    If Barilla and Chick Fil-A merged together you know what you would get?

A BarFil-A.

To be more specific, and non-discriminatory, it would be a BarFil-A conglomerate. Limp noodle meets dastardly craven, ehr chicken.

18. jeff says

ROFL, David….!!!! That’s a great one…! Can’t believe that’s the first I’d heard it. I see someone as Cathy in drag made up ala the Putin drag pics during the Olympics.

19. woodroad34 says

I think he could care less about gays boycotting his “business”; what I do suspect is that shareholders probably got to him. He doesn’t seem like the type of person to change his mind without some stronger corporate hand spanking him and telling him what to do.

20. Francis says

BarFil-A. Good job @Marcusit.

As for Mr. Cathy, an apology is in order for EVERYTHING he has done to our community and how he used his brand to intentionally provoke and promote homophobia and transphobia. If that ever happens, perhaps we can talk. Until then…sorry Mr. Cathy. Your bigotry is a stain that Chick-fil-A will never be able to wash away.

And these comments from Cathy; similar ones by Guido Barilla as well as Guinness dropping sponsorship of the NYC St. Paddy’s parade after prodding from GLAAD and a potential boycott from gay bars in NYC show us all…boycotts work. We have power as a community. Avowed haters like Dan Cathy even see it. They don’t want to cross us. Never let a bigot get away with their behavior without taking action, one way or another.

21. Chrislam says

A) Money talks. And B) For the bazillionth time, the Bible makes NO mention of Gay marriage you dolt!

22. JJ says

I suspect the BUYcotts that spang up did at least as much damage as the boycott they were opposing. Mike Huckabee exploited the situation for his own gain with the whole Chick-fil-A appreciation day, which rallied Southern rednecks to embrace the brand as their own. Now they feel at home coopting the brand for their own politcal actions, like Chick-PHIL-A Appreciation Day to support Duck Dynasty. The brand is now firmly associated with Southern Pride and there’s nothing Dan Cathy or his marketing team can do now to stop the monster he created.

I’m guesssing the big problem now is that the Southern Pride brand appeals to a mostly poor rural demographic, and NOT urban workforces where, I suspect, the big money for fast food is.

23. ThomT says

Must have had a bad quarter. This sounds like nothing more than a monetarily based statement. We can agree to disagree as long as you buy my chicken.

24. Chas says

I’m curious if anyone has looked into Chick-fil-A’s recent sales figures to see if this has anything to do with Dan’s apparent change of heart?

25. Jude says

I feel like barfing whenever I pass a Chik-fil-A. Will never give them a penny. Might drive around in their parking lot a bit though to give it some wear and tear. And dump my trash in their trash cans. Might even go in there to piss, and grab some salt ‘n pepper packets on my way out. If they protest, I’ll just kiss my husband and they’ll beg me to leave, which I will, along with a handful of their napkins.