News | United Kingdom

Conservative Party MP Mark Menzies Resigns As Ministerial Aide Following Rent Boy Allegations

Mark MenziesUK Conservative MP Mark Menzies has resigned from his post as ministerial aide after claims surfaced that he asked a Brazilian rent boy he was paying for sex to supply him with illegal drugs. The Daily Mail reports:

In reports last night, Mr Rogerio Santos, said to be 19, claimed the Tory MP had paid him to have sex and asked him to obtain methedrone.

Texts on the Brazilian’s mobile phone apparently revealed messages asking him for full details about the quality of the drug and how much it cost.

Mr Santos, who lives in the Brazilian city Sao Paulo, said: ‘I have been having sex with a Conservative MP for money. Mark asked me to buy methedrone. I have personal messages of him talking to me about drugs.’

The Independent adds:

Mr Menzies has never spoken publicly about his sexuality and does not mention his family life or relationships on his website, but he is said to have attended LGBTory events held in Parliament.

In a statement issued on Saturday night he revealed he planned to dispute the claims, which appeared in a tabloid newspaper.

He said: “I have decided to resign as a PPS after a series of allegations were made against me in a Sunday newspaper.

Menzies served as parliamentary private secretary to Alan Duncan, the first openly gay Conservative MP.

Comments

1. Gay face

Posted by: Dave | Mar 30, 2014 2:35:05 AM

2. I do love a good tory rent boy story!!

Posted by: arch | Mar 30, 2014 4:33:18 AM

3. Wild. I guess moral of that story is never TEXT your hooker about drugs?

Posted by: whitneyisadude | Mar 30, 2014 5:48:49 AM

4. I like how the issue isn't the pay for sex (because that's legal), but the drugs.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 30, 2014 7:17:22 AM

5. It's bizarre that anyone, especially a senior government official, would send text message like that. Why document a crime? Hell, why put a poor prostitute in that position? It's obvious the prostitute would be forced to by his poverty to take advantage of the situation to sell the story to a tabloid.

Posted by: Victor | Mar 30, 2014 7:59:16 AM

6. Menzies? lol

Posted by: MikeKV | Mar 30, 2014 8:32:01 AM

7. Don't know his voting record and admit I am not very informed when it comes to UK politics. But from what I've seen from US politicians, I'm pretty well convinced that 99% of conservatives who go out of their way to oppose marriage equality or other civil rights for gays are big ol' closet cases.

Posted by: sparks | Mar 30, 2014 8:34:51 AM

8. I have no knowledge of his politics in detail, nor how Tories line up on issues with Republicans or the Tea Party (other than generalities).

But this guy is simply too stoopid to be in any kind of position of power. Seriously--how big a moron can you be to leave this kind of evidence trail?

Posted by: Tatts | Mar 30, 2014 10:51:45 AM

9. @SPARKS, I checked. The Daily Mail (ugghhh that Murdoch rag, which is often slightly homophobic, not in this case so far)quoted MP Menzies who had sated he intended to abstain from the marriage equality vote, but went in and heard the debate and decided to vote for it.

I think this is another part of the acceptance process- not that people should accept crooks or sleaze and corruption, but that gay people are people, too; thusly, gay politicians can be corrupt, too.

It's a power thing. Men ( because honestly, you rarely hear of powerful women caught up in hooker/prostitution stories) feel it's ok since they're in control, and they deserve/need/justify it because of their position.

Posted by: Ranju | Mar 30, 2014 11:09:00 AM

10. "The Daily Mirror" ?

Posted by: MIke | Mar 30, 2014 11:17:15 AM

11. What is it with politicians and rent boys. Seriously, though. Can someone explain it to me? It is because they can't have a real relationship with another man?

Posted by: elgar | Mar 30, 2014 11:17:19 AM

12. “A number of these allegations are not true and I look forward to setting the record straight in due course.”

I myself look forward to seeing whether he does in fact set the record *straight* or *gay.*

Posted by: edude | Mar 30, 2014 11:26:11 AM

13. The allegations (some of them) are not true, therefore I'm resigning. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: Joe in Ct | Mar 30, 2014 11:46:52 AM

14. @Dave: What would you call a Jew who referred to Woody Allen as having "Jew face"?

Posted by: Rahm | Mar 30, 2014 11:55:13 AM

15. This is very much like the scandals in the nineties that ended the Tory logjam on gay rights issues. However, the impact of this scandal will be much smaller. If the GOP in the US had these types of scandals more often they too would stop using gay rights as a wedge issue. They are probably out there, but the press doesn't really go looking for them enough.

Posted by: anon | Mar 30, 2014 12:21:52 PM

16. Why are these things always accompanied by photos of the politician, who no one wants to see, and not photos of the rent boy, who everyone wants to see?

Posted by: Kevin | Mar 30, 2014 1:32:26 PM

17. @Elgar, It is the same reason why straight politicians can't have a real relationship with a woman: Politicians and Prostitution go as much hand-in-hand as Catholic Priest and child molester.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 30, 2014 3:57:22 PM

18. Also, @Dave, please no more of those silly "Gay Face" comments. They're as prejudiced as black face and Jew Face. Yep, unhindered human evolution forces us into reconsidering hurtful words and to grasping fully the extent of their reverberation on a better egalitarian future.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 30, 2014 4:03:15 PM

19. How strange. A homophobic Republican politician is caught with a gay rent-boy. Better check with George Rekers to make sure it's legit. Wait, no, it's not. How many times does this story have to play out before the GOP faithful (and GOProud) finally get it?!

Posted by: KC | Mar 31, 2014 2:37:36 AM

20. KEVIN - The rent boys picture is all over the stories. And contrary to what one poster said above - he hardly looks like a malnourished homeless kid selling this story to survive.

Posted by: Ready | Mar 31, 2014 8:43:54 AM

21. KC: He is not a Republican. This is England not the US. Conservatives in the UK are not the same as the variety in the United States.

Posted by: Liam | Mar 31, 2014 11:23:46 AM