Film and TV | Freddie Smith | News | Soap Operas

'Days of Our Lives' Gay Couple Will and Sonny to Finally Tie the Knot: VIDEO

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 11.13.17 AM

Fans of NBC’s longest running daytime drama Days of our Lives who have waited years for gay couple Sonny and Will to get hitched won't have to for much longer.

TV Source Magazine is reporting that “[s]tarting on April 1, three consecutive episodes, the fan-favorite couple Will Horton and Sonny Kiriakis (affectionately deemed “WilSon”) will tie the knot in a beautiful ceremony presided by a surprise officiant."

The magazine is also reporting that this will be the first marriage between two men in soap history, so bring out another round of champagne!

Check out a preview of history in the making, AFTER THE JUMP

Screen Shot 2014-03-30 at 11.15.22 AM

Comments

1. "...First gay marriage in a soap...", I'm not sure what the magazine bases that on. Maybe on pure technicality. Does 'Brothers & Sisters' not count? - Might not technically count as a soap (drama), and it was a 'commitment ceremony' after all. Whatever. Good on them anyway!

Posted by: Zoltan | Mar 30, 2014 1:24:22 PM

2. Not the first soap marriage in history, even discounting "Brothers and Sisters". Google Chrolli, Germany's long running pairing of Oliver Sable and Christian Mann on the soap "Verbotene Liebe". They have been married in a church ceremony, had their divorce, and were re-married in a small private cabin ceremony. While German law only recognizes such partnerships as "civil unions" and not "marriage", the divorce did require civil intervention to be valid.

Posted by: MotherHusky | Mar 30, 2014 1:46:31 PM

3. @zoltan

No, Brothers and Sisters is not a soap opera. It's a serialized drama. In the U.S. a soap opera is a tv show that typically runs Mon-Fri on daytime network television. They have much lower budgets and production costs.

I started DVRing Days casually because of the Sonny and Will storyline. It's a shame the original actor who played Will, Chandler Massey, quit the show. I'm sure he'll regret that.

Posted by: Brian W. | Mar 30, 2014 1:55:17 PM

4. Yeah, probably best to have said, "American soap opera history."

Posted by: Randal Oulton | Mar 30, 2014 1:56:38 PM

5. Awfully small set but sweet and quite moving.

Posted by: Mike Ryan | Mar 30, 2014 1:57:42 PM

6. @Zoltan: A "soap opera" is not only loosely-scripted and created daily all year and broadcast during daylight hours, but is geared to stay-at-home housewives who are traditionally pitched advertisements most notably from companies like Procter and Gamble for detergents, dishwashing liquid and other "soap"-like products (hence: "soap opera.")
    Soap operas are also notable for the fact that highly improbable situations occur regularly and are portrayed as the norm and that everyone in their universe is beautiful (Note that the woman between Will and Sonny is Will's "Grandma Marlena," and that his other grandma is also a sexy vixen.)

Posted by: GregV | Mar 30, 2014 2:08:41 PM

7. Wow. It is a big step in US daytime soaps.

Posted by: Matt27 | Mar 30, 2014 2:10:59 PM

8. And if soap trends hold, they'll either stay married for about five months or get written out once the novelty wears off.

Posted by: Jerry | Mar 30, 2014 2:52:21 PM

9. @Brian W. Saying Chandler 'quit' isn't accurate. After publicly saying he wanted to finish up his college degree the show recast him without notice. He was ushered off the lot after filming one day without so much as a "thanks for your Emmy-winning work".

DooL is the family's soap, but I hadn't watched since at least college until the WilSon story line was about to appear. I'll probably stop watching after the wedding (assuming there's no disaster to derail it as is common on the show) because I just can't get into Fake Will. If Guy Wilson had portrayed Will from the start, I'd probably like him fine, but he's no Chandler Massey.

Posted by: Jay | Mar 30, 2014 2:54:22 PM

10. I agree with you Jay!

Posted by: Joe | Mar 30, 2014 3:04:35 PM

11. I stopped watching once Chandler Massey was let go. He was made me fall in love and often in serious hate with Will. Chandler and Freddie have so much chemistry. It was really a waste what they did. This new guy isn't even attractive and I thought being attractive was kind of the thing soap opera characters were known for. Even the older men could still get it. EJ and Rafe I'm looking at you ;)

Posted by: Derrick | Mar 30, 2014 3:23:38 PM

12. I miss Chandler Massey so much. I wish him well in continuing his education but I wish he had found a balance between career and education. His final two weeks where he had little goodbye scenes with many of his costars were very touching. He is a talent that Guy Wilson cannot even come close to touching.

Posted by: BobbyF | Mar 30, 2014 3:29:38 PM

13. Yeah, 'Verbotan Liebe" in Germany has been running fir years.....with Olli and Christian married for years.

Posted by: JackFknTwist | Mar 30, 2014 4:01:05 PM

14. Someone needs to correct me/inform me regarding this line:

"...ceremony presided by a surprise officiant."

Isn't Marlena the surprise (no more) officiant..? Wasn't her contract not renewed over a year ago and she had left the show..?

Inquiring mind would not mind knowing. :)

Posted by: Mags | Mar 30, 2014 4:10:55 PM

15. WTF? What happened to the REAL Will?! Doesn't feel right, without him.

Posted by: SZL | Mar 30, 2014 4:35:50 PM

16. Actually, you folks who say Brothers & Sisters isn't a soap opera are wrong. There are both daytime and nighttime soap operas.

Most HBO's programming is soap opera: Game of Thrones, True Blood, and The Sopranos are all soap operas. Nighttime soaps have been around for ages. Dallas? Soap opera. Dynasty? Soap opera.

What do you folks think Scandal or Grey's Anatomy is? Soap opera.
    Serialized dramas lack melodrama and aren't focusing on love stories or family issues. For instance, NBC's Blacklist is a serialized drama.

Additionally, there are male-oriented soaps: WWE, you know wrestling, is a self-declared action soap opera. FX's Sons of Anarchy is also a soap opera according to its creator.

Soap operas are viewed in daytime largely by a female audience.

Posted by: Victor | Mar 30, 2014 4:53:49 PM

17. Specifically, what this is, is the first legal same-sex marriage between two men on American daytime soap opera.

(And "All My Children" had the first legal same-sex marriage between two women on American daytime soap opera some five years ago back in 2009).

Posted by: Fox | Mar 30, 2014 5:41:07 PM

18. Also, airing five-episodes per week, Spanish language telenovela "Amores Verdaderos" ("True Love") on American network Univision actually featured a legal same-sex marriage between two men last year in July 2013. The only difference is it aired in primetime.

Posted by: Fox | Mar 30, 2014 5:51:35 PM

19. I have to also agree with some of the other posts in regards to the new Will. I'm not a fan of Guy Wilson...not that he's a bad actor I just don't think hes right for the role. I miss Chandler Massey very much and thankful I had the opportunity to meet him before he left the show. The producer of the show should have let Chandler finished his contract out which would have allowed him to do the wedding scene since they tape 4 months in advance. It would also have meant so much more to the Wilson Fans to see Chandler in the wedding. I was glad to see Chandler has been nominated again for a 3rd daytime Emmy. Go Chandler & Best of Luck to you!!

Posted by: Scott | Mar 30, 2014 5:52:00 PM

20. Stop whining! Guy Wilson is great. Celebrate the fact we are able to see ourselves like this on TV. Every one of these moments is special.

Posted by: RK | Mar 30, 2014 7:15:48 PM

21. @Scott - While Chandler Massey is in the pre-noms for another Emmy, the actual Emmy nom's have yet to be announced, and (per Variety) they won't be decided until May 1. Yeah, Massey may make the list again, but truly, I think Casey Moss (JJ on Days) would beat him this year. Moss was totally on fire most of the year and has some great scenes to submit.

Posted by: Fox | Mar 30, 2014 7:53:40 PM

22. Looking forward to the wedding celebration and festivities. Will and Sonny are my favorite couple on Days and are the reason I started watching. Guy and Freddie are doing a great job.

Posted by: kay | Mar 30, 2014 7:58:42 PM

23. Pretty amazing and the really amazing thing is that the sponsors were okay with it. They are the ones who determine what goes out on the air because they pay most of the freight of production and always have. They are a fine looking couple too but I think there is just a teensy weensy bit of "this one is the top and this one is the bottom" going on. Maybe I'm wrong but it sort of crept up on me. That music and the expressions were also pretty overwrought but enough nit-picking, it was pretty cool.

Posted by: BrokebackBob | Mar 30, 2014 8:27:38 PM

24. Guy Wilson was micast. He is terrible in the role of Will Horton. I've never seen him in anything else so will refrain from commenting on his overall acting skills but hiring him to play this character was a mistake.

Chandler Massey's combination of beauty and talent made the WilSon storyling worth watching. His chemisty with Freddie Smith was amazing. He is missed.

Posted by: Donny | Mar 30, 2014 9:31:19 PM

25. @Jay - Stop the lies! Everybody knows that Chandler Massey quit DOOL. There's a even YT video with him stating his intention to do so.

Speaking of CM, I am a big fan but I'm glad that he is no longer portraying Will (at least for now). IMO, Chandler lacks the real-life experience needed to take Will to the next level so while I miss him as Will, I'm glad the show took the opportunity to recast. However, I wish they would waited until after the wedding.

I like Guy Wilson, but like others I think he was miscast. Guy doesn't have the screen presence that most young male daytime actors have so scenes with him tend to be just flat. I don't long to see the next scene with Guy like I did for Chandler and do for Freddie even though I think Guy is doing a good job in the role.

I will say that I like the physical chemistry between nu-Will and Sonny better than old WilSon, but I can tell from watching past clips that FS enjoyed kissing CM more than he does GW.

Posted by: seanny | Mar 31, 2014 12:22:38 AM