Isaiah Washington | News

Isaiah Washington Returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'

Washington

Seven years after he was fired for using a gay slur toward co-star T.R. Knight, Isaiah Washington is returning to Grey's Anatomy, according to The Hollywood Reporter:

Washington will return to guest star for a May episode of the medical drama seven years after he was fired from the series following on-set clashes and anti-gay remarks directed at then-closeted co-star T.R. Knight.

His return to the series comes as Grey's is preparing to say farewell to one of its original and most beloved stars, Sandra Oh, whose Cristina was at one point engaged to marry Washington's character. Oh will exit Grey'sfollowing the end of its current 10th season in May.

Washington recently told HuffPost Live that his life was destroyed by "an agenda" after his anti-gay remarks.

"I didn't have a choice. After the incident at the Golden Globes everything just fell apart. It literally stopped. Whatever the agenda, whatever the plan was it worked. I lost everything. I couldn't afford to have an agent. I couldn't afford to have a publicist for the crisis management to continue. I couldn't afford to continue. I went from 2 million dollars a year to residual checks. Zero. I couldn't get another apartment after I turned in my lease for my $3 million home. I had to put it in my wife's name. No one wanted to touch the name of Isaiah Washington for three years."

Comments

1. "Washington was recently cast in The CW's The 100 - his first series regular role since his firing."

Yes, we all want to forget NBC's Bionic Woman revival attmpt that he was a series regular on...

Posted by: Kieran | Mar 7, 2014 11:11:20 AM

2. is that still on?

Posted by: TBD | Mar 7, 2014 11:14:08 AM

3. I will be watching The 100 because it actually looks pretty solid.

As far as Washington goes, I feel more sympathetic than I ought to, but that's just my nature.

Posted by: Mikey | Mar 7, 2014 11:14:46 AM

4. Who watches this nonsense? Talk about bad television.

Posted by: Jack M | Mar 7, 2014 11:14:51 AM

5. Hooray! I'm glad to see him come back to close out Sandra Oh's role. I loved Burke & Christina.

Posted by: Mark | Mar 7, 2014 11:15:21 AM

6. In all the reporting of this, everyone seems to leave out the fact that when he called TR Knight a gay slur, he happened to be strangling Patrick Dempsey. Seems sorta crucial, no?

I don't mind him coming back for an episode. Christina's storyline with his character deserves closure. I just wouldn't want to be on set with him.

Posted by: crispy | Mar 7, 2014 11:29:29 AM

7. After all these years he's still blaming others or some kind of "agenda" rather than acknowledging that is was his own unbridled mouth which caused him all these problems to begin with. Apparently he has learned nothing. As far as I am concerned, he can remain on the fringes of the industry until he learns to accept responsibility for his own actions and words.

But since he apparently not learned that lesson yet, I predict another attempt at motor-mouthed self-destruction in 3...2...1...

Posted by: Alex Parrish | Mar 7, 2014 11:31:03 AM

8. "I didn't have a choice. After the incident at the Golden Globes everything just fell apart. It literally stopped. Whatever the agenda, whatever the plan was it worked."

Yep, the agenda was not having a hateful adolescent bigot and bully sh!t on everyone's workplace. Although the plan seems to have gone wrong somewhere, considering he's back with the same attitude.

Posted by: JJ | Mar 7, 2014 11:31:59 AM

9. Hate hurts. This time it hurt the hater, if only financially.

Learn from it.

Posted by: the other Ken | Mar 7, 2014 11:32:54 AM

10. "I lost my million dollar house. I stopped making $2 million a year." Boo f*cking who!

Gay slurs and anger issues aside (both of which are definitely important and valid reasons for sending him packing), Mr. Washington just seems to have a sh!tty attitude.

Posted by: CHRISTOPHER I | Mar 7, 2014 11:34:09 AM

11. Ah. I see he is still the entitled little b!tch who blames everyone for his homophobia, and every little aggressive mishap was caused by the gay Agenda.

Does Washington sound like he learned not to be a prejudiced prick to anyone? Because he sure as hell sounds like he's become an even bigger pr!ck than he was before.

Posted by: Mags | Mar 7, 2014 11:39:06 AM

12. He paid a heavy price, but I see no contrition in his remarks

Posted by: Ted | Mar 7, 2014 11:44:53 AM

13. i concur, has learned little or nothing.

Posted by: bandanajack | Mar 7, 2014 12:00:34 PM

14. I thought this show was canceled years ago. I can't believe it still on!

Posted by: mikep | Mar 7, 2014 12:09:41 PM

15. I'm hearing very little remorse from Isaiah for having publicly spewed his homophobic rant. I'm hearing "those all-powerful Hollywood gays ruined me....waaaahhhhhh!"

Posted by: Curtis in Westfield | Mar 7, 2014 12:14:10 PM

16. The issue with the gay slur was just the tip of the iceberg with Mr. Washington. He's an impossible man to work with and I predict, since he doesn't seem to have learned his lesson, that all his troubles are waiting for him again just around the corner...

Posted by: Robert M. | Mar 7, 2014 12:36:59 PM

17. Didn't even realize this show is still on the air.

Posted by: Steve | Mar 7, 2014 12:38:14 PM

18. i honestly didn't know this show was still on.

Posted by: Jason | Mar 7, 2014 12:43:33 PM

19. Oh boo hoo. Actions have consequences, honey.

Posted by: Mark Alexander | Mar 7, 2014 1:08:26 PM

20. I swear Greys Anatomy had their final season like 5 times now.

Anyway if they want him to come back for one episode to close out a characters story line so be it. I agree that he doesn't seem the least bit remorseful for what he said and did . I strongly believe that people like him eventually get their comeuppance.

Posted by: Derrick | Mar 7, 2014 1:10:00 PM

21. Too many self-righteous judgemental queens on this thread.

Posted by: will | Mar 7, 2014 1:17:03 PM

22. I can't feel any empathy for someone who was making $2 million year and then whines that he didn't save anything because he lived too lavishly and rented a $3 million house, so that when his temper and mouth got him fired, he had too little saved. He's an actor. Every paying part should be appreciated, no expected to last forever.

Posted by: Wilson | Mar 7, 2014 1:44:34 PM

23. You Couldn't have had ANY part in that by your choices, could you? Hmmmmmm...

Posted by: pdxblueyes | Mar 7, 2014 2:05:47 PM

24. He's a victim of the injustice of the Gay Agenda. You know those entitled gays who in many states can be fired by their employers simply for being gay.

Posted by: Hue-Man | Mar 7, 2014 3:21:19 PM

25. will: No, they are in fact right. He has exactly the same problem Chris Brown has, it's not that they made a mistake (everybody make mistakes, some are bigger than others) it's the fact that he learned absolutely nothing.

He had a bad reputation before the incident, and even being important, the gay slur was not the most important here, he physically attacked a fellow actor. That's reason enough to be fired

Posted by: jjose712 | Mar 7, 2014 3:24:47 PM