News | Tech

Kids React to Rotary Telephones: VIDEO

Phone

Warning: this video is designed to make you feel antique.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Comments

1. ...and it does so VERY well!

Thanks for that! I'm gonna need a shot of Geritol.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 5, 2014 11:22:20 AM

2. My parents got the first touch tone phone in our town (Oxford, Mississippi) in either 1969 or 1970. I can remember being confused when I went to a neighbor's house who had a rotary dial. It was really weird to go to my grandmother's house. She had a rotary phone on a party line. For those who don't know what that was, it was a shared line with your neighbors. Imagine having a private conversation that any one, or more, of your neighbors could pick up and listen into.

Posted by: TampaZeke | Mar 5, 2014 11:36:42 AM

3. the kid on the picture is a homophobe brainwashed by his homophobic parents

Posted by: litper | Mar 5, 2014 11:41:37 AM

4. I enjoyed that, but it did not make me feel old. When I was their age, and was first taught how to make a phone call, on a rotary dial phone, I thought it was pretty amazing. They weren't born knowing how to use their iPhones either -- someone taught them how.

Posted by: james | Mar 5, 2014 11:43:49 AM

5. @litper: you remember him, right? there were so many cute kids with open minds and eyes filled with wonder on that clip, and that hateful little ignorant f*ck that repeats verbatin what his parents told him.

Posted by: topher | Mar 5, 2014 11:56:16 AM

6. LITPER - more lunacy from you huh. You never disappoint.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 5, 2014 11:57:08 AM

7. LITPER - more lunacy from you huh. You never disappoint.

Posted by: UFFDA | Mar 5, 2014 11:57:08 AM

8. That 7 year old Maxim is an adorable kid. That 11 year old girl Landon seems really mature. There seems to be quite a few Filipino kids.

Posted by: aggart | Mar 5, 2014 12:07:10 PM

9. Aww! Makes me think of my bubby's black rotary phone :( ♥♥♥

Posted by: marco | Mar 5, 2014 12:13:24 PM

10. Yes it makes me feel old, but also reminds me of how lame our local phone company was. My parents - in Massachusetts mind you - did not get touch tone service until 1990. Then they refused to pay the $1 service charge that would allow us to use a touch-tone phone. So we had to buy a dual-mode phone, that would mimic the rotary phone when dialing, but could be switched to touch tone to use things like voice mail.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Mar 5, 2014 12:29:58 PM

11. Hahaha, LIPTER is right! I'd recognize those evil eyebrows anywhere.

Posted by: Sean | Mar 5, 2014 12:58:44 PM

12. @CPT_DOOM: Lol, yeah NYNEX was the worst. Good riddance.

Posted by: Jester | Mar 5, 2014 1:30:29 PM

13. Adorable kids. Even back in elementary school, in like 1991, I didn't know how to use a rotary phone.

Posted by: SpaceCadet | Mar 5, 2014 1:46:43 PM

14. My favorite kid is Dash. My least favorite is Lucas.

Posted by: bernard | Mar 5, 2014 1:57:14 PM

15. I have that phone. Still use it. Was told it wouldn't work with FIOS. It does. The sound on it is what I remember a phone call sounding like. Perfect. No crackles or static or dropped call, at least on my end.

Posted by: jeffg166 | Mar 5, 2014 2:13:25 PM

16. How many 7yr olds have heard of Alexander Graham Bell? Well done Maxim.

Posted by: Bollox | Mar 5, 2014 2:32:12 PM

17. The kids seemed obnoxious

Posted by: jarago | Mar 5, 2014 9:06:41 PM

18. Their minds would've really exploded into smithereens if they interviewer has tried to explain party lines to them!

Posted by: Dback | Mar 5, 2014 10:07:57 PM

19. Most likely to Grow up Gay : THOMAS, 13.

Posted by: Nelson | Mar 6, 2014 7:05:07 AM