‘Looking’ Creator Michael Lannan Has No Plans to Kill Off Any Characters Yet

'Looking' writer and creator Michael Lannan talks about the show's finale with EW, and the feedback the show has received after the extreme amount of criticism it got early on.

LannanSays Lannan:

I think certainly the pace and the tone as you say is quite unique to our world and more kind of cinematic in some ways than some TV shows. I think we may have confounded some expectations as to what the show was early on because there was so much talk about what it was going to be. I think we made some bold choices and there were some strong opinions mostly positive, some negative in the beginning. It’s been really awesome and gratifying and exciting to see people sink into the show a little more and invest in the characters—around midseason I think we felt that kind of start to happen. The kind of noise around it calmed down in some ways and people started to accept the show on its own terms and the ratings has grown steadily and the audience has seemed to broaden out.

Lannan says that season two may not pick up immediately where season one left off, but doesn't offer details. He also says that Scott Bakula is going to be back, that he's not sure if Agustin will climb out of the loathsome depths he's in, and that the hanging chairs in Patrick and Kevin's office were supposed to be subconsciously evocative of other leather things one might have sex in.

Also, he doesn't plan to do any House of Cards-style killing next season:

[Laughs] We don’t have any plans for anyone to die but that’s a good suggestion—I’ll bring it up. The tone of the show and the pace of the show is something we’re really proud of beause it is really unique to our world. We always wanted it to have a kind of slice of life/everyday feeling to it and we wanted it to be distinctive. So we just plan on the show becoming more itself, by that I mean just having our characters continue to learn and go on these journeys. I think the tone of the show is going to feel the same even as the characters and the world grows bigger too.

Read the full interview here.

And read our rehash of last night's season finale HERE.

Comments

1. Randy says

It’s just hard for me to take the show seriously. If you want to be “cinematic” or whatever, you spend an hour and do it.

The whole season is only 4 hours long.

I just don’t get it.

2. MrPinky says

I’m really hopeful that Michael Lannan and the producing/writing team continue with the tone and pacing of the first season into the second. I really enjoyed the nuanced storytelling that focused more on fleshing out of the characters than on standard plot conventions. Like a lot of indie films I like (especially Andrew Haigh’s Weekend), the plot felt looser and open-ended than conventional Hollywood fare. But there were so many subtle yet revelatory character moments in each episode. I appreciate that the characters were not presented as idealized archetypes, but were written and portrayed as flawed, and at times not very likable. I’m hoping that the second season has more of the same. But honestly, if the series run ended with last night’s episode, I would have been completely happy with the series as a whole. For me, the eight episodes of season 1 taken as a whole are perfect.

3. MrPinky says

4. AJ says

I didn’t have a problem with the pace and the tone. I liked it. Every da,m show out there is supposed to come out guns blazing. This one was quieter and more subtle with excellent character development. I just wish it was more than 8 episodes.

On another note, what is with this look the creator is sporting. Is this Civil War Chic? It looks awful.

5. Marc C says

Well, I’m in for Season 2. It did drag a bit in the beginning, and I honestly had not heard, nor seen anything about the show prior to it’s premiere. But the characters are believable… enough and the storylines plausible… enough.

6. erick70115 says

If I had just binged on this series I would be excited to see what’s next in the hope that I might actually like the lead characters one day. However I’ve had to slog through 2 months to get here and although the second half rescued the season for me, it feels like this is where we should have been in a second episode. Because of this and my dislike of 25 minute dramas, I’m sorry to say that if I never saw another epidode it would not be a big loss. That’s a shame.

7. JMC says

PLEASE get rid of Agustin!

The first half of the season was unwatchable, the second half pretty good and the finale surprisingly good. Really though, if not for my desperation to see gay characters on TV I would not be checking out the second season.

8. ironic serendipity says

The show is ok,and I only watch it because it has a gay theme. If it were about straight people, I wouldn’t give it a second glance, let’s be honest.

I’m getting a bit weary though of the seemingly daily articles promoting this show between Towleroad and Queerty though. Please, a little objectivity and lack of promotional bias would be greatly appreciated.

I agree, Augustin is despicable for his comments about Richie alone. Don’t kill him off though, we need a ‘bad gay’ on the show to hate.

9. lg says

YOU are the author and maker. Be whatever you wish it to be. If people do not like that, then let them move on or get out of their computer chairs and write their own. Dislike whiners you contribute only whines as if knowledgeable.

10. Perry says

After seeing what the writer and creator of this boring ass show looks like, now I know why the show is so blah and has a bad 1970’s feel to it.

11. Johnson says

What they should do is have all the characters at a party in that first episode and there be a gas explosion. That way the can put this god awful show to rest.

12. Rob says

What’s with all the trolls? I think this is a great show- I have no trouble with the pacing and I think Groff is doing an amazing job. Raul Castillo is also a standout. I can’t wait to see what happens next- I predict that Augustin will get his act together and become less loathsome. I thought the friendship sub-theme really reflected my own life, something I don’t see on TV. And Patrick spreading for his lothario of a boss was super hot. The commentary at the end is very intelligent.

This show has it all.