Fred Phelps | Gay Rights | News | Rachel Maddow | Westboro Baptist Church

Rachel Maddow on How Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church Boosted Gay Rights: VIDEO

Phelps_maddow

Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church's plan to demonize gay people backfired over the years, helping the cause of equality by inspiring people to manifest their support for gay rights in reaction to the church's hate.

In a 'non-obituary' for Phelps, who died this week, Rachel Maddow looks at how it all went down.

Watch, AFTER THE JUMP...

Angel

Comments

1. Is Fred Phelps still dead? Is it true he died from hemorrhoids?

Posted by: Kev C | Mar 23, 2014 1:05:29 PM

2. I love Rachel's supremely positive insights. She really is a diamond in a murky world of TV news talk shows. Bright, tough, solid and clear cut.

Posted by: Dave. | Mar 23, 2014 1:13:18 PM

3. Time for another book though Rachel. Last one was excellent.

Posted by: Dave. | Mar 23, 2014 1:13:47 PM

4. I love the glass is always half FULL attitude.
    Kudos!

Posted by: mike | Mar 23, 2014 2:19:54 PM

5. Thank you Rachel for taking the high road on this story...I have come to understand... that Fred Phelps was verifiably insane. Mad as a hatter...he had all of the symptoms and traits of a severely mentally damaged soul. He began swirling into madness a long time ago. Any one who has worked with the mentally impaired can testify to this fact. The cheese fell of this crackers's cracker years ago. I can't explain daughter Shirley's behaviors but I would be willing to bet that she inherited this illness. It is best, I believe, for the media to move away from what is left of this disgusting group of sad lost characters. They really aren't worthy of any news ink any more. It is a real temptation to be smug about the death of their fallen "leader" but I think they will fade out like a newspaper left in the sun. Good riddance to them all.

Posted by: thom | Mar 23, 2014 4:19:15 PM

6. I sometimes wondered if Phelps was playing the devil's advocate. His rhetoric was so over the top, I thought maybe he was purposely divisive to expose the ugliness of hatred. From what I've read though, he was just an Ass.

Posted by: Arkansassy | Mar 23, 2014 5:21:28 PM